Sun, Sep 22, 6:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Constructive Critique -- 04/23/2007

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 11:37 AM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 12:17 PM

Attached Link: Full Size Image

file_375655.jpg

Please keep in mind the Constructive Critique guidelines: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2688443 Here is the full EXIF data: [![Exif_2b.jpg](http://upload7.postimage.org/804313/Exif_2b.jpg)](http://upload7.postimage.org/804313/photo_hosting.html) Please make any alterations using the full size image, not the smaller one I included here in the Forum, thanks.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 11:44 AM

file_375656.jpg

If the link for the Exif does not work, here it is again.

prionbrain ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 1:34 PM

As usually I love your photoes, and can't think of anything much "constructive" to criticize...perhaps you could've taken a closer shot at the mushrooms and leave more of the water outside the shot. Or you could have brought the mushrooms  more to the left and center i guess... but I really can't think of anything specially good to turn this image better!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 2:21 PM

Thanks for that. As I mentioned, I have not done anything with this image or really given a good hard look at what I wanted to do to bring out the best possible aspects of it. I saw something with potential and took the photo, worring about all that later. I am just curious what you all may come up with on how to improve and enhance it. NOTE: I shot this from above, standing on a scenic overlook near the lake. I like he face down approach, which is good because I didn't have many other options. ;']

prionbrain ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 2:27 PM

:)))) Always happy to help if I can:)))))

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 2:36 PM

file_375676.jpg

Here is a closer crop of the shrooms w/ postwork. I should have taken a closer one just of them, you are right...not a whole lot of detail to work with there.

amorales ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2007 at 7:17 PM · edited Mon, 23 April 2007 at 7:19 PM

file_375696.JPG

This is my rendition

cameraobscura2 ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 12:15 AM

Hi Kort, When I first looked at it in the gallery I wanted to comment there, but now that I am here i will tell you that at first I was puzzled since it is not up to your usual standard. Now I see that one suggested to focus in on the mushroom, which is something I would not have done as i look at he image more in abstract terms as to t he patterns found on the surace of the water. The area I would focus is the upper left section but I would not nclude a leaf as I find it distracting in an abstract. The reason for the focus on abstract is the play between of water and the branches anlong with the reflections. I hope it has helped. Thank you for sharing. egmont

prionbrain ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 1:25 AM

Wow!! Now the close up is SOOOO much better, and the other suggestion also is very cool!!! The colour edit seems very good to me!

BibbyBear ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 3:16 AM · edited Tue, 24 April 2007 at 3:17 AM

I like the original shot "as is" but the one thing that I would have liked to see more of, and I'm sure you would have done it anyway before posting it in your gallery, is more detail of the depth of the bark on the log - bringing out the shadows and textures more.
I can see from your zoom in on the mushroom that there is already plenty of texture there - I would just like to see more of this on the full size view.
I've not attempted to do it myself in PS as I still haven't mastered that art yet - I sort of know what things to use, such as dodge and burn, but I'm sure that whatever I managed to succeed with, you would do it far more justice than I!
The overall abstract feel of the shot I like and the POV is great - I'm glad this was the only angle you managed to shoot from.
I'm not going to say that I hope I've helped in some way as it will probably be many years, if ever, that I could offer YOU help!! 
Chrissy xx

"I don't suffer from insanity,
I enjoy every minute of it."
:lol:
CCCD Photography 
CCC Dezynz

Gor111 ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 4:09 AM

file_375714.jpg

It's a very interesting capture with this wood in the water! It provoked me as well to optimize this shot! I had the feeling that reflection of the light gave your shot a too bright light! I postworked it and tried to keep the light as realistic as possible! Thanks so much to give us the opportunity to do some creative things here!

Prikshatk ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 4:56 AM · edited Tue, 24 April 2007 at 5:01 AM

file_375718.jpg

Here's a twist :rolleyes: on finding interesting crops within the image. I liked the brightness but added some red to the highlights to get some warmth.

regards
pk
www.planit3d.com

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 8:04 AM · edited Tue, 24 April 2007 at 8:10 AM

file_375721.jpg

All very good input, thanks everyone. From amorales neon spotlight effect to Gor111's darkened twilight look to pk's warm light 90? turn, all interesting directions to take it in. All of your other input is appreciated too. I took Egmont's suggestion and cropped the top left corner out. I played around with it but wasn't happy with it as an abstract. I realize it is a bit extreme, but I inverted the image and brought the mid-tones down using curves and was much happier with the result.

Prikshatk ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 8:37 AM

70.1 degrees CCW :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

regards
pk
www.planit3d.com

prionbrain ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 9:43 AM

I don't get it how you post images so i put it in attachment I really hope it's visible in the end:)). Ah well:)...
Well this is not a suggestion:) but I like it anyway since we're allowed to play arround with it;)
:)) hehe

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 10:00 AM

When you post your message, attach and image no larger than 200kb using the choose file button below.

prionbrain ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 10:05 AM

file_375727.JPG

Ahh the size might have been the problem:)) I'll try again:) Thanks TP:)

prionbrain ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 10:06 AM

I hope you like it too, but if not.. it's not a tragedy:)))) hehe

inshaala ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2007 at 11:31 AM · edited Tue, 24 April 2007 at 11:34 AM

file_375728.jpg

when i first saw it i thought "vertical", and did something similar to what Prikshatk suggested. Although if you wanted to highlight the mushrooms, why not selective colouring? I used a gradient map conversion to black and white (i am hooked on the tonal control you can get doing it that way), and then burned some more detail in to the log and lessened the "glare" of the leaves in the water.. Also the crop factor is 3:2 rather than the 4:3 i think you have - mainly to accentuate the "vertical" aspect of it, but also for compositional thoughts behind my presentation.

Those leaves, as i think were mentioned, provide an unwanted distraction - there is nothing wrong with getting a stick and flicking them out of the way ;)

I think it is one of those shots where the intent was definitely there, and as you said it was an "i'll deal with it later" decision.  I find that sometimes something catches your eye about a scene, but the way in which maybe your subconscious is telling you should be the way to present it isnt apparent at the time you shot it. My version above is what i see in the image, but that could be completely different from what you wanted to present... it is what you see in the image and present which is what makes it your photo.

Also f/5.6 - i'm not sure about your specific camera lens, but as far as i have read and seen, f/8 is the generic sweet spot for image quality, you seem to have had enough light (you are shooting at 1/250sec) to use f/8 on this scene, and thus capture more detail.  The difference is slight, but if you want to crop shots then it does make a difference.

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

TomDart ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2007 at 7:08 AM

I prefer the tonality of the water from Rich than your from cam shot.  In the original, I had difficulty telling if that was water or wet rocks.  As I see it, the choice I would have to make is which directions of thought to go:  Abstract or detailed reality.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2007 at 9:12 AM

Thanks again everyone. I think Rich really nailed it with his selective color version. Now if I could only duplicate his version, heheheh. When I saw the log I initially thought about how the leaves and mushrooms might create an interesting abstract or still life interplay. But I am beginning to thing that their relationships are just not dynamic enough to warrant taking it in that direction.

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 3:18 PM

file_375937.jpg

selective color in blackground B&W and I used Flaming Pear / artherize in version level normal.. and rectificated the level of color and lighting. Very nice picture Kort for this CC 😄

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 3:20 PM

Oh I forget.. my opinion in construction critic : please Kort, don't put your foot in this water, don't looks very good :lol: Hahahahahaha...

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 3:58 PM

Hahaha, thanks Valou. Yes, quite mucky. :) I like what you did, and I see you found the hidden mushroom -- 100 points for you! 8^P

PeeWee05 ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 10:27 AM

the thread turned from CC to 'Edit my Pic'

how did that happen?

Honestly - I still find the whole image boring - it's one of those images, no matter how much it's done up it really doesn't grab your attention, I mean if it were on a gallery wall, it wouldn't get much attention.

Everyone's editing is lovely and not to mark anyone down but as I say I still feel the content/subject of the image is rather dull...

Rights Come With Responsibilities VAMP'hotography Website VAMP'hotography Blog

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 10:42 AM

Well, I think you hit the nail on the head. It is a boring photo, people are trying to make it exciting. Thanks for the honest feedback. ;']

PeeWee05 ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 12:59 PM

I'm glad you took it like a man :D

Seriously, I get those shots too, when it looks like it would look good on film and you get home and it's just the op and you think, what the hell happened?

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 1:11 PM

Oh, I am sure we all have them. A photo looks to have some potential when we take it, but then at home on the screen it is just, "ehhhhh".

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 3:52 PM

:lol: Kort.. it's true.. Or when you look in the screen on the camera, and you think :" okay, this one is good.. " After, you look in your pc and you have like a voice in your head who make grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :lol:

PeeWeek05 : Some blur effect can be a real artistic picture and composition, like the ultim post from Olivier158 "SnowBall 1. After, everything depends on our visual pleasures.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 3:53 PM

Right, it can be frustrating, espcially when you are hoping to have a neat shot to work on. Hahahah. :)

PeeWee05 ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 2:34 AM

I didn't say anything about blur did I?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.