Sat, Sep 21, 12:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:04 pm)

Subject: Lenticular Lense Freeware

gagnonrich ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2007 at 2:48 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:27 PM

There have been a few threads here on lenticular lenses.  I've tried to find printers, but they seem to mostly have shifted to a quantity rate where a single image can sometimes be 10X the cost of printing a batch of 25.

An alternative is buying some lenses and printing the images on a laserjet. I found a couple of freeware versions of software to break an image up for a lense, but haven't tried them.
http://www.matthiasm.com/lentils.html
http://lentikit.sourceforge.net/index.html

My visual indexes of Poser content are at http://www.sharecg.com/pf/rgagnon

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2007 at 10:12 PM

lenticular lenses? What's the effect you're going for? I do know something of laserjets (I spend 8 hours a day trying to make them work..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

gagnonrich ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2007 at 11:08 PM

A lenticular lens provides a 3D effect without glasses. At its simplest, it's the flip image that is occasionally on magazine or DVD covers (or if you're older, crackerjack premiums) where the angle you're looking at switches between the two images to provide limited motion. With current technologies, dozens of images can be placed under a lens to either present a short animation or a fairly convincing 3D effect where moving the image allows seeing around objects.

The trick is slicing up the image so that each image is a sliver that the lenticular lens sheet can deflect the correct line of the image to present the desired effect.  The lens isn't printed on. It's a plastic sheet that is placed over the printed image. There's nothing fancy about the printing. It's a question of having software to break up the different images that provide either motion or 3D.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 4:09 AM

I know someone who has designed tutorials that you can use right in poser instead of using this software, if you are interested I will email this person and find out if I can post the link to.  This is an amazing effect and will truly bring your renders to a new point.  Sharen

PS:  there are places that let you print on an inkjet and then apply the lens to it.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 4:09 AM

also, HP has a printer for this type of printing.  Sharen

gagnonrich ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 11:47 AM

Attached Link: Wiki on Lenticular prints

I'd be interested in the tutorial, but suspect that you're thinking of anaglyph or stereo pairs. To get a lenticular print, something needs to slice up the images so that each little ridge on the lenticular sheet has a piece of each image on opposite sides. A lenticular lens is a plastic sheet with many fine cylinders along the sheet. Each tiny ridge acts as a prism that sends the different images to each eye.

Poser can create a stereo pair that can be used for the print, but has no way of dicing up the image to work with the lens.  

There used to be a bigger market for stereo photography and getting lenticular 3D prints at a reasonable price, but that seems to have dried up and costs have increased dramatically. A friend used to do it and the 3D was quite good and didn't require special glasses to see the effect.

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2007 at 4:05 PM

hokay, yup...a little esoteric for me..;) (I fix network printers). Sounds like special paper at a minimum.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

areno ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 12:42 AM

Images for lenticular prints can be masked  and combined using Photoshop you need to know the lpi of your lenticular film tho. The book "Photoshop 7 Magic" has a Tutorial on how it's done and her's a link with alot of info and believe they still offer SuperFlip if you get your lenticular film from them www.microlens.com/

Yahoo has a Lenticular Group also tho I haven't checked it out in ages , you should also google this subject as there is quite a bit of info out there.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 4:05 AM

I know what you are saying but this does work in Poser and it does what is needed to slice images.  Sharen

gagnonrich ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 10:04 AM

Attached Link: Lenticular Print Tutorial

I did a word search through the P7 manual and "lentic" doesn't show up.

If there is a way to do this entirely through Poser, I'd love to see the tutorial on it. There's a nice tutorial in the above link, but it does require other software, listing MicroLens as one of the companies that has the software needed for the job. I looked at the MicroLens site and they don't have any prices.

This site has some interesting examples of Poser images using movement to demonstrate a 3D effect
<a href="http://www.peterjsucy.com/Products.htm
The links for creating lenticular images go to a "Get Rich" spiel to buy their package.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 2:49 PM

This is whom you would want to contact : ZaxysDMI 

He is a member here at Renderosity.  Hi site is http://www.zaxys.com/

Sharen

gagnonrich ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 7:41 PM

I can't get into his site because there isn't a safe version of Flash for Win98 and the site doesn't provide any other means of navigation. I did a search for ZaxysDMI posts and he crossposted in a lot of forums here about writing a tutorial, but that was half a year ago and he doesn't appear to have come back.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 4:11 AM

I just IM you 2 email address' contact him there.  Sharen

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 1:16 PM

Hi,

Just saw this thread regarding 3D printing. I have developed two new tutorials describing how to turn your 3D scenes from Poser or just about any 3D program into 3D business cards or 3D postcards. They are done but I have been waiting for the lenticular printer I am working with to finish the print ordering page.

The tutorials will be available for sale on Renderosity by the end of May as that looks like when the printer will be ready to take orders. My site is at www.zaxysdmi.com.

ZaxysDMI

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 5:11 PM

Glad to see they will be up soon for others.  Sharen

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 6:37 PM

It's still true that you need interlacing software to "slice the image up" if you are making your own lenticular prints.

However, the tutorials I have written describe how to prepare your files to send to a printer who will do the interlacing (slicing) and printing. Lenticular printing requires more than just a stereo pair however. The printer I am working with uses 12 views on their 100 lpi lens and 6 views on their 200 lpi lens. Other printers may use lenses of the same pitch but may use a different number of views. When I worked for Kodak's Dynamic Imaging group we used 21 frames for one lens, 24 for another and 30 frames for yet another, but this required a printer with a resolution of over 2400 ppi. Lenses with the same pitch from different vendors will not perform the same.

I have been making my own on an inkjet for the last few years and using the lenses from Microlens. They offer a 60 lpi lens that is very good for 3D. I have used between 12 and 24 frames with this lens. That being said however I have found that there are a great number of lenses to choose from and each has different requirements when creating the views of a scene.So it took a lot of trial and error to find the proper settings.

What I've tried to do with the tutorials is reduce the number of variables and provide a method that will produce repeatable results for those that don't want to experiment with printing their own as it can get expensive by the time you have acquired all that is needed.

You need a high resolution printer, ink and paper, you also need lenticular lenses (preferably with an adhesive already applied), a laminator, lens calibratiion software, interlacing software, and lots of time to develop the skill required to align your interlaced printed image to the lens and get it through the laminator without losing alignment. Then there is the time needed to find the correct camera motion to create the necessary series of frames. Not enough movement and you get poor depth, too much you get a blurry mess.

While business cards and postcards are all we will offer to begin with our intent is to offer other lenticular products in the future such as plastic cups, jigsaw puzzles, luggage tags, etc. and eventually larger prints. Because this is a press based process it is not economical to do just a few and is just one reason why it hasn't been affordable. I explain why in the tutorials and cover some of the other methods used to create 3D lenticulars. Would you believe that 99.9% of the 3D lenticulars you see are NOT created with 3D programs but with layered Photoshop files!

ZaxysDMI

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 12:54 PM

I'm sorry to report that it appears my tutorials will not be available for sale on R'osity. My tutorials were deemed inappropriate for sale in the marketplace by ClintH.  Apparently because my products are pdf tutorials I'm not allowed to have a link to my site within the product.

They are still available for sale in my store however.

ZaxysDMI

www.zaxysdmi.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.