Sun, Oct 6, 9:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: artifacts produced by narrow triangles

muralist ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 9:44 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 9:22 AM

file_376990.jpg

My model of this Colonial American church is nearly complete, but I cannot get rid of the artifacts produced by the narrow triangles from the arched openings.  How do I fix this?

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 9:59 PM

can't say for sure (I'm barely far enough along), but it could be the texturing; maybe it's an artifact of tiling. You could increase the size of the jpg, bmp, etc.

only other thing (not as likely) I can think of is maybe the model has triangles as faces. Poser doesn't like triangular faces. Mebbe if you can convert them to quadrangles (4-sided face), which might make them go away.

more helpful answers to follow this..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

muralist ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 10:03 PM

file_376991.jpg

Here's a wireframe view.

muralist ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 10:06 PM

file_376992.jpg

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 10:41 PM

file_376993.jpg

When I want an arch, I build it separately from a circle and a tessellated rectangle, and then insert it in the purely rectangular main part.

This takes more work, but it seems to be more compatible with Poser
than the all-angles result of a Boolean.

Here's a quick and ugly sample, which at least shows the principle.  

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 10:56 PM

I can see why poser is interpreting those triangles wrong. the way the booleans worked out, it almost looks as if some polygons are connected to others in a geometrically contradictory manner, like a moebius strip.

DustRider ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 11:19 PM

This is a very common problem when using booleans for modeling, or when exporting from a modeling software to Poser. Ockham's sugestion is one of the easiest ways to control the ceation of narrow triangles. Depending on the software you are using, there may be some other options to fiX the model without recreating your arches/windows (but it may be just as much work). 

One option that may work if your modeling software has the ability to "cut" the mesh, you can create a square/rectangular frame enclosing the problem areas, then force (weld) the triangle verticies at the new corners. You will still have a lot of triangles, but they will be shorter and usually less of a problem in Poser.

Another option would be to manually re-cut the model with lines extending perpendicular to the edges from the arch/window to the edge, then either manually merge the triangles into quads, or if  your software supports it, you can do an auto convert from triangle to quads.

Unfortunately, I don't know of an easy way to "fix" the model. If you could let us know what software you used to create the model, maybe one of the gurus could give you a simple fix. There could be an option within the software to force the creation of quads, which would be the easiest fix.

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......

muralist ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 11:33 PM

Anim8or
UVMapperPro
Poser7

muralist ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 1:51 AM

file_377024.jpg

I should have used a more clear wire.  Here is the wall assembly.

kawecki ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 5:36 AM

You are in trouble!
The only way to avoid this problem is to create some vertice in the planar face and let the triangles join to this point..

Stupidity also evolves!

amacord ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 11:25 AM

file_377064.jpg

try this...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.