Mon, Oct 21, 10:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: Would a remapped V4 to V3 be a commercially viable proposition?

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 4:44 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:30 PM

If I were to remap V4 to take V3's textures, would that be marketable product?  Sorry, but this is one project that I couldn't justify to my wife as a freebie.
DPH

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Casette ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 4:53 AM

Perhaps. I'm waiting for UTC for V4, but by the moment there's no news about it. And I have zillions V3 textures I want to use with her

AND

A remapped version would be better than UTC... because the V3 texture will be the same. UTC creates a new texture which not ever is perfect, the remapping process sometimes make squares or strange lines in zones like nails or eyebrowns

I vote yes :)

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

JoePublic ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 5:03 AM · edited Thu, 10 May 2007 at 5:12 AM

Hmm, if we have a remapped V4, one could make a fully functional V4toV3.
One that unlike the limited DAZ' version could use V3 textures AND all of V3's bodymorphs.

Or one could put V3's head on V4's body for those who want to combine her favorite V3 character's face with V4s new body.

giorgio_2004 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 6:14 AM

Definitely yes! It would be very useful and I would even pay for it.

Giorgio

giorgio_2004 here, ksabers on XBox Live, PSN  and everywhere else.

grahamjames ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 7:27 AM

Don't you normally jump on people asking this type of question? This is a quote from your reply to someone who wanted to sell some weapons. You even shouted the word pay. It seems strange that someone interested in only free items now wants to sell.

"Forgive me, but I'm going to be quite blunt.  No, I would not PAY money for this, not when I  can get all the weapons I need for free.  Yours are interesting, but so  are all the freebie ones I've previously downloaded.  You want to create a freebie?  Fine!  But will not PAY money for something, even if it's unique, when there are others, no less unique for free.
David P. Hoadley"

Also should this not be in the Product Showcase forum?

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 8:14 AM

The weapons if I remember correctly weren't that exciting & quite frankly we have more than enough weapons going spare in the freebies section, enough probably to outfit an entire army & still have left overs.
This isn't just a quick 5 minute job that being discussed, it's probably going to take weeks or months of hard work to the exclusion of everything else. With all the textures I have that only fit V3 I'd be willing to pay money to use them on V4 if I had her too.

And I don't think this should be in product showcase, it's not an advert, it's just a sounding out of opinions as to whether it would be worth the time & effort.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

archdruid ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 8:34 AM

*"outfit an entire army & still have left overs."   * Yes, and each one wold have a different weapon, too. I have to agree... this would be a very useful item to have..... I also agree that this is simple discussion of a project viability. Lou.

"..... and that was when things got interestiing."

kalon ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 8:47 AM

Yes, I would definitely be interested. And I think this the appropriate arena to ask.

kalonart.com

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 8:47 AM

Attached Link: Remapping the Duke (aka Dork).02

For those of you who are interested, youcan view my lastest posting in my efforts to remap the Dork to M3's texture configuration.  when this project is finished, he will be offered as a Freebie also, to stand alongside my PosetteV3 (P4Nudewoman remapped to V3 texture configuration).  To date, PosetteV3 has be downloaded 758 times from freestuff.  I believe that I have well and truly put my own money where my mouth is.

V4 is a different proposition altogether.  Posette wasn't a commercially viable figure, bu V3 and V4 definitely are.  Also, they are much more complex.  If I'm to take the time and effort to make V4 compatable to all those V3 merchant resources that are still out there, I want to know that it'll be worth my while, not only for my sake, but for that of my wife, children, & grandchildren.
David P. Hoadley

rockets ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 9:06 AM

I think it's a great idea and I would also pay, but I wonder why nobody else has come up with this.  Is it legal or will Daz pitch a fit over it?  Just curious.

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 9:09 AM

Actually he is discussing it not putting an ad here so I see no problem with it. There are a lot of folks out there who sell items and yet still give items away. I don't know if I would buy it, depends on how much you will be asking for it, and how long it will take to do it. Also are you doing the original and the updated version? Looks like more than a few are willing to buy it but I will reserve my vote until I see how good it is and how much. Good luck with it.
Marque

BillyGoat ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 9:16 AM

I'd pay for it !   David would wind up as the 'Merchant of the Month'.
I've bought very little for V4. Just don't like the look of her. 

She'd look better in V3Skins.

Just like the MP got rid of a lot of V2 stuff when V3 was released, I see very little V3 stuff now.
But this time I went through the entire store and bought a ton of V3 goodies as soon as V4 came out...    Glad I did!

BillyGoat

Indoda ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 9:55 AM

As long as I could afford it. Then yes! it would be very useful.

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Indoda

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 10:12 AM

I would pay certainly as long as the figure also took V3 MATposes. How to price? I don't know... how can one judge? Some great products here don't sell on account of high prices, the products have slipped into clearence and then away altogether. I am sure the vendor would have made more with volume and a lower price. Other great stuff is priced so low I am sure the vendor doesn't really care about money at all although maybe I don't appreciate the volume that could be involved. There does seem to be an upper threashold in price that will do a product in at RMP.

Keith ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 10:14 AM

Quote - Hmm, if we have a remapped V4, one could make a fully functional V4toV3.
One that unlike the limited DAZ' version could use V3 textures AND all of V3's bodymorphs.

Or one could put V3's head on V4's body for those who want to combine her favorite V3 character's face with V4s new body.

Um, why, precisely, would someone want a V4 that had V3's textures and V3's morphs instead of just using Victoria 3?

jt411 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 10:14 AM

I don't think there's much of a point in this. All of the more talented texture artists have moved on to V4 anyway.
You'd probably be better off remapping the G2 figures to accept DAZ textures.

Daventaki ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 11:50 AM

The point in this would be you would still have V4 but be able to use all the V3 Textures you already own.  Take myself for instance I have lots of V3 textures because I was making good money but now money has gotten tight so I cant just go buy the V4 textures I want so thus if I could by this it would help me greatly!

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 11:58 AM

Personally, think I'd be more inclined to spend money on a texture converter from V3 to V4 and the other way around (does one exist yet?)  then on a single remapped figure. 
But, I may decide somewhere along the way it would be a neat thing to have a remapped V4, or have use for it. 
I suppose on a scale of 1-10 I think in my case I'd give it an 8 for useability and a 6 for desireability.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Keith ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 12:34 PM

Quote - The point in this would be you would still have V4 but be able to use all the V3 Textures you already own.  Take myself for instance I have lots of V3 textures because I was making good money but now money has gotten tight so I cant just go buy the V4 textures I want so thus if I could by this it would help me greatly!

No, I'm not questioning the texture issue, I can see that and would probably find it useful myself.  It's wanting V4 with V3 textures AND V3 morphs.  To be frank, that's just dumb.

"I want something new!  That's exactly like the old one!"

KarenJ ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 12:41 PM

I think it would be marketable, yes.
I think you'd need to talk to Daz about how you'd distribute such a remap and stay within their EULA.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 1:02 PM · edited Thu, 10 May 2007 at 1:04 PM

Yes, one of my biggest questions would be DAZ's official opinion regarding such a project.  You'd probably better check with them first before doing any work.  It wouldn't be an enjoyable experience to spend six months working on something, only to find out at the end of that time that you couldn't sell the product for legal reasons.

As to whether or not I would be interested in purchasing the product myself......I'd have to take a 'wait and see' attitude.  It would depend entirely upon the final item itself.

Personally, I like the textures which the best artists are currently producing for V4.  So......I don't know that the utility of putting V3 textures onto V4 would be all that useful to me.  Then again.....you never know.

But I certainly applaud your efforts.  Unlike some others, you are to be praised for -- in a sense -- 'putting your money where your mouth is'.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

kalon ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 1:21 PM

jt411> Quote - I don't think there's much of a point in this. All of the more talented texture artists have moved on to V4 anyway.

Most of us could redeem a sizeable fortune spent on V3 textures with a remap -- that's the point!

Remapping the G2 figures to take mil 3 textures would be a phenomenal idea!

kalonart.com

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 1:30 PM

Quote - jt411> Quote - I don't think there's much of a point in this. All of the more talented texture artists have moved on to V4 anyway.

Most of us could redeem a sizeable fortune spent on V3 textures with a remap -- that's the point!

Remapping the G2 figures to take mil 3 textures would be a phenomenal idea!

I was also thinking that maybe not all merchants were happy with the present V4 texture configuration and would welcome a viable alternative to revert to a configuration that was both tried and true, and that they were quite familiar with.
DPH

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 1:51 PM

Unless eFrontier wants to donate me the G2 figures for remapping, I doubt that I'll be getting around to them anytime soon.
DPH

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 2:01 PM

RTE encoding would probably be the way to go for distribution, using the original V4 obj or cr2 as a reference file.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

RAMWorks ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 2:13 PM

Quote - Hmm, if we have a remapped V4, one could make a fully functional V4toV3.

I like this idea very much!!  Yea, I'm not sure how you would get around blending the V3 neck morphs in with the V4 head morphs or if it's even possible but this would be the solution many would love to have, including me.  I have SOME V3 characters I like and lots of textures that consist of Aiko and V3 sets so I've had to set aside the V3 set because I just never used her much. 

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 2:20 PM

I know this is something I would be interested in.  Heck, I've started manually converting maps in Photoshop!  I'm very fussy about skin textures and I've seen very few for V4 thus far that impress me like some of the best V3's.

Also, money is an issue.  I can't justify buying a fistful of textures for V4 when I still use her so rarely.  A remapped version might be the trick.  I ended up getting plenty of V3 textures because they also worked on Aiko, The Girl and S3.  Heck, they even work on the guys!  I don't know if that is something I'll ever use, but I like the freedom.

I would be very curious as to what DAZ would say, but I think that if you go through their License agreement with a fine toothed comb you might be fine.

I think if you ask them outright, they might say NO.  They had the power while making V4 to make her use the excellent textures on the market, but chose not to.  I'm sure there is financial reasons behind that.   (ie:  selling new textures).

On the other hand, they might say yes but want you to sell it through them.  What do I know?  I need coffee...

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 2:27 PM

Attached Link: Would a remapped V4 to V3 be legally allowed?

If anybody wants to know what DAZ's response is so far, click on the above link and read my post in their Commons Forum. DPH

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 2:39 PM

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=58503

Corrected the link :)

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 3:24 PM

I'd be interested. 

nickedshield ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 3:26 PM

IMO, after reading the responses at Daz, An RTE encoded uvs file would probably work the best. It insures the recipient has the proper files in order to use the new mapping.

I must remember to remember what it was I had to remember.

kayjay97 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 3:33 PM

well I for one would be REAL interested :-)

In a world filled with causes for worry and anxiety...
we need the peace of God standing guard over our hearts and minds.

Jerry McCant

judith ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 3:43 PM

Count me in as interested!

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

E-mail | Renderosity Homepage | Renderosity Store | RDNA Store

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 4:47 PM · edited Thu, 10 May 2007 at 4:48 PM

Why are people in this thread saying "what's the point of V4 with V3 textures and V3 morphs"

Nobody suggested you'd want a V4 head with V3 body (which is silly of course because the V4 geometry is better, but DP didn't ask about doing that)

Nor did he suggest you'd want a V4 figure with V3 morphs (which is impossible)

The point (and I agree with it) is how cool would it be if the 30 textures you have for V3 (many of which are very good) would work with V4. For example, suppose you already bought HyperReal shader or whatever its called that comes with Morris's fantastic textures and Face_off's skin script, and suddenly that worked fine on the superior V4 geometry.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 5:11 PM

I'd probably be interested actually.  I've got a couple of really nice V3 textures that I could use on V4

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

drifterlee ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 5:14 PM

Dave, I would like to see the free Apollo Maximus remapped to accept M3 textures. I like him much better than M3 and I have lots of M3 textures.

Gini ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 5:20 PM

I'd love to be able to use my V3 textures on V4 !!! And UTC doesn't work on Macs so a remap is the only way us mac users can go I guess.

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 5:34 PM

Quote - Dave, I would like to see the free Apollo Maximus remapped to accept M3 textures. I like him much better than M3 and I have lots of M3 textures.

I'd be careful to talk to Anton about that first.

My Freebies

svdl ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 6:13 PM

One thing I noticed is that merchants who are creating V4 characters/skins are FINALLY starting to use the P5/6/7 material room possibilities.
I have lots and lots of V3 textures (most of them free, but a dozen or so commercial) Only one of those makes (limited) use of the material room.

So while the remap will allow me to use these P4-technology level textures on V4, I prefer the P6-technology level original V4 materials.

The remap will be useful for rendering in other apps that cannot import the material room settings.

For me, the remap would be useful only for exporting V4 figures to other apps. Not for rendering in Poser itself.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 6:44 PM

I for one think it's a fantastic idea.

Reasonable price.
Ease of use.
Quality - Quality - Quality!

If you could get those three down, you'd have a winner on your hands.

Best of luck with this DPH.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 7:00 PM

what exactly does remapping mean? Would it really affect the morphs or is it just a texture thing? Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

cyberscape ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 7:11 PM

Well Dave, I'd say you definitely want to make sure DAZ is cool with this first before starting. If they say yes, then I think you should DEFINITELY make this. It will only add more versatility to V4 and it just might boost some sales for all the talented texturers in the MP. In other words, you'll be making a lot of people very happy. Go for it!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

AMD FX-9590 4.7ghz 8-core, 32gb of RAM, Win7 64bit, nVidia GeForce GTX 760

PoserPro2012, Photoshop CS4 and Magix Music Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------

...and when the day is dawning...I have to say goodbye...a last look back into...your broken eyes.

cyberscape ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 7:14 PM

I believe it's just a texture thing. BTW Dave, if you could do a tutorial later on how you accomplished this, I'd love to see it! (hint, hint) ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

AMD FX-9590 4.7ghz 8-core, 32gb of RAM, Win7 64bit, nVidia GeForce GTX 760

PoserPro2012, Photoshop CS4 and Magix Music Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------

...and when the day is dawning...I have to say goodbye...a last look back into...your broken eyes.

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 1:20 AM · edited Fri, 11 May 2007 at 1:22 AM

In order for any model to take a texture file, the model needs to have a UV Map, which is basically a map that tells different parts of the texture to stick to whichever facet on the model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uv_mapping
http://www.uvmapper.com/ (a very common, free tool that is widely used and many tutorials available)

and ps: no, it wouldn't have any effect whatsoever on morphs, morphs are completely independent of UVMap info.  It is possible to remap V4 to V3 so the two figures can use the same texture files, but there's no analogue for morphs, it's just a completely different concept.

My Freebies

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 1:28 AM

I'd buy it. Love esther

jeffg3 ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 1:41 AM · edited Fri, 11 May 2007 at 1:43 AM

OH YES!

I would pay. It would take me about .0005 seconds to pay.

Shoot, I would PREPAY.

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 2:16 AM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=1400

fantasy angel set by shadownet - has some great clouds too! love esther

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 2:19 AM

Quote - OH YES!

I'll have what he's having.

My Freebies

JoePublic ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 3:51 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_377188.jpg

(V4toV3 as Daz "should" have made her. Click to enlarge)

HeHe...

Why am I not surprised by some of the reactions ?
:biggrin:

What I'm talking about is that once we have a fully remapped V4, we can use this figure to build additional hybrids.
First we could put V4's head on V3's body.

Such a figure could use V3 textures, wear V3 clothes, bend like V3, and especially morph like V3, so you can use all your favourite character morphs like GND2, but with V4's new face.

It's like the DAZ' V4toV3 figure but without all the limitations.

Secondly we could put V3's head on V4's body.
You have a favorite V3 character you're using, but want to try out V4's body, then such a hybrid could give you both.

So if dphoadly actually would do this, we could have THREE new figures, not just one:

A standard V4 (or V4.1) that takes V3 textures.
V4's head on V3's body to use V3 bodyshapes and clothes.
V3's head on V4's body to use V3's faces with V4's body.

kalon ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 4:07 AM

Quote - Dave, I would like to see the free Apollo Maximus remapped to accept M3 textures. I like him much better than M3 and I have lots of M3 textures.

I would love to see this as well. I asked Anton and he doesn't have a problem with it, but mentions DAZ should be cleared also. He also mentioned that AM's current mapping is of higher quality.

kalonart.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.