Fri, Oct 4, 1:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Use Cloth room to make cloths skin tight on all axes ?

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 4:00 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 1:29 PM

I am using Poser 5

I have a tShirt I modeled for A3 in C4D.

Want the tShirt to fit V4.

I can tweak each vertices one buy one in C4D.

But would be a lot faster if Poser cloth room could tweak the tShirt automatically

Normally if ya put a tShirt on V4 and cloth it, it drapes like cloth on the I axis,witch is what the cloth room is for.

But I want to know if I can use the cloth room to make a lose bad fitting tShirt to shrink up and be skin tight on all 3 axes X,Y,Z.

Do not want the tShirt to fall to the earths gravity.

Want V4 to be the gravity and the tShirt fall to V4.
So the bottom of the sleeves would fall up.

And if I can some tips on the settings would be helpful.

Thanks

RorrKonn
http://www.Atomic-3D.com

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 4:21 AM · edited Fri, 11 May 2007 at 4:21 AM

A simple trick that I often do (stolen fron Phil Cooke) is to shrink the figure's scale along Z, and sometimes X, at frame 1, and then switch back to normal scale and pose at frame 30.  As the simulation runs, the character animates into the pose and also the scale changes gradually revert to normal - bascially "inflating" inside the clothing.  This can bring you a really smooth, tight fit:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1438944&member

Another simple trick that I do just about every time is that after the simulation runs, reduce the scale (all axes) for the simulated cloth item by 1%.  This cleans up most of the offset.  While you could also simulate with a very small offset, it tends to take quite a bit more time to run the sim and can often blow out.  Scaling down 1% is a cheap trade imo, and the great majority of time it does just what I want.

If you have poser 7, you can fix the few remaing little bits of fitting with the morph tool very quickly (took me maybe 2 minutes in the example link).

You can control the figure's orientation to get some quirky drapes - simply rotate X or Z 180 for figure and cloth item for the whole animation, run your simulation, and flip them both again when completed.  

You can also add wind to counter some of the gravity pull, although this will add flutter to the cloth that you may not want.  It would be a very organic "trial and error" process, but on the other hand you might want inconsistent results - every time you adjust anything at all you're going to get a different result, and I believe the Turbulence statistic on wind force generators has some randomness.  You can concievably use this to get an "underwater" effect which I suspect is what you're looking for.

Lastly (if I remember correctly, and I think I do) cloth density affects how strongly gravity pulls at the cloth; you can set it very very low, and gravity will have a minimal effect, but then it won't move much unless something moves it.  This can be the character or other objects that the cloth is colliding with, or wind force.

My Freebies

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 4:37 AM

Thanks for the info

I have a character I modeled in C4D I want to make all of her dimensions the same as V4,A3 or any mesh I want to make cloths for.

It would be faster to cut out parts of my mesh to make cloths for other characters if they fit.

Would take a lot of time to tweak my mesh vertices buy vertices to match another mesh dimensions.

So for a test I cut a tShirt out of my mesh and trying to find the fastest way to get it to fit V4 :)

RorrKonn

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 4:45 AM · edited Fri, 11 May 2007 at 4:47 AM

If you're willing to spend a few bucks, the fastest and simplest way would be to go get Phil Cooke's Poser Toolkit; it has a shrinkwrap script that will do exactly what you want, independently of the cloth room, gravity, and the like.
http://www.philc.net/PoserToolBox.htm

Right at the top is a video of the shrinkwrap tool in action.  $40 US.  Also has tons of neat little utilities e.g. a script that exports all the bodypart morphs for a whole figure as a group, in one operation.

edit: oops, it's not a video, but still very clear:
http://www.philc.net/PTB_tutorial1.htm

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 4:54 AM

Hmmmmm, I'm not completely sure that tool will work with any piece of geometry, the docs imply that there is a prop included with Poser ToolBox that might be required (making it useless for your purpose).  You might mail Phil Cooke about it and ask.  Or alternatively you can just do it in the cloth room like I described (shrink the figure at frame 1, expand to normal at 30).

My Freebies

mickmca ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 10:05 AM

Thanks for the reminder about Poser Toolbox. I'm ready to buy. What a bargain.

I read the copy differently than you do. He illustrates how the tool works with a cylinder, but I don't see anything that says you have to use his prop. Worth a check; and also worth verifying that the toolbox works in P5.

BTW: I first ran into the "inflate the figure into the cloth" trick at Serge Marck's poserfashion.net. Not to take anything from Phil Cooke, but Serge was a pioneer w/dynamic clothing, and deserves some credit.

M

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 10:09 AM

I did a tutorial on this a few months back on this forum.
Do a search on my name and you should find it.

I model clothes in anim8or, 
make a cloth simulation from Posette (or any figure) starting at frame 1 at X=70% and Z=70%,
up to frame 15 where both become 100%
Import your clothing in frame 1 and let the simulation push your figure into the clothing.

PS: I only make 1 set of clothes, let's say a dress.
I use the same dress for all figures. I just let Poser push the person I use ( Posette, any V, or any figure for that matter)  into her own dress.

PS; you can make longer animations to "Pose yiour figure" any way you want, just use the first frames tot do the initial pushing.
Tony

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 6:29 PM

Shrinkwrap works with any suitable object.

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 9:31 PM

Good to have that confirmed, thanks!

My Freebies

Zarat ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 10:01 PM

Quote - I am using Poser 5

I have a tShirt I modeled for A3 in C4D.

Want the tShirt to fit V4.

I can tweak each vertices one buy one in C4D.

But would be a lot faster if Poser cloth room could tweak the tShirt automatically

Normally if ya put a tShirt on V4 and cloth it, it drapes like cloth on the I axis,witch is what the cloth room is for.

But I want to know if I can use the cloth room to make a lose bad fitting tShirt to shrink up and be skin tight on all 3 axes X,Y,Z.

Do not want the tShirt to fall to the earths gravity.

Want V4 to be the gravity and the tShirt fall to V4.
So the bottom of the sleeves would fall up.

And if I can some tips on the settings would be helpful.

Thanks

RorrKonn

I remember that you have asked some time ago about any solution to this very problem.
Is there no shrink-wrap in C4D or what didn't work?

Since the geometry is already in some human-like shape, the Poser clothroom should be sufficient for this.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 12:22 AM

Thank you all for the help, and tips.

Very Very helpful.

I am trying all this kool stuff out, hopefully we will have a tShirt soon :)

Zarat

I do not have all of C4D's Modules but I think MOCCA has something like shrink wrap.

RorrKonn

operaguy ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 2:24 AM

file_377255.jpg

Click on image for full size.

recently converted Jessie's red dress to a morphed V4. I used PhilC's wardrobe wizzard.

I did not know about the cloth room push into idea, but believe me I'll try it next time.

Meanwhile, the inflate/deflate/smooth tools in WW work well if you have patience. 

By the way, I had to use the morphbrushtool in P7 to make V4 get completely inside the dress before I ran the WW routine.

Anyway, you can see the results above.

Here's an animation, 3 MB Quicktime. "Film grain" look is intentional.
http://jrdonohue.com/anna1.mov

::::: Opera :::::

Letterworks ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 3:18 AM

There are a couple of tips that you should be aware of when using the cloth room for an operation of this kind.. For one you are best using a "basic:" model, leave off the details at this stage, details like seams etc. will be "stretched out" or distorted. Make it slightly LONGER than you want it to be in it;s final form. Make it slightly smaller than the figure you are fitting it to. Parent the clothing item to the BODY of the figure.

Reduce the figure by a percentage so that none of it pokes thru the new clothing item in Frame one. Push the animation bar up about 5 or 6 frames, I usually use a 10 to 15 frame animation for something like this. On the 5th or 6th frame Scale the figure back to 100%. The remaining frame sof the animation allows the cloth to settle and relax.

In the Cloth Room start your new animation with about 10 or 15 frames, clothify the clothing item, set your collision. One point here is that you can save a little time for the calculations by only selecting the figure body groups that actually can collide with the cloth.

Over on the cloth settings leave your Stretch Resistance setting low (you'll want to play with these settings a bit to get exactly the effect you want) I use like 5-25, set the Fold Resistance setting up in the higher range I use 400-500 if I want a smoth look when finished. You also might want to set the Cloth Density up higher to something like .2 - .3, this may help with keeping the bottom edge of your clothing from riding up as it stretchs around the figure, too high MAY cause it to stretch downward, I've had mixed results with this, but generally higher is better.

Once the clothing stretchs over the figure in a way that suits you (you may have to run the simulation several times to get the rgiht look), export it in your favorite format and take it into your modeling program. At this point you can do any final detailing you want.

If you are going to try integrating Poser into your work flow you might want to concider upgrading. From P6 to P7 the Cloth Room controls become a little more refined. Also P7 has thenew Morph Tool, which hasn;t really recived enough attention IMHO. I've recently started using it to "pull" small poke thru's and it's smoothing functions is really handy as well. The great thing is since it;s in Poser you can render the area(s) in question. I've noticed that sometimes poke thru doesn;t show up in my modeling program (I use Carrara 5 Pro), and even doesn;t show in Poser's preview, but shows up when rendered. Not sure why, but being able to push, pull and smooth right in Poser has become a big asset for the final modeling stages.

mike

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 3:27 AM

A small caveat to the above:  If you parent the clothing to the figure, and then change the figure's scale, the clothing item will scale along with the figure, which kind of defeats the purpose.

My Freebies

Letterworks ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 9:56 AM

yeah pjz99 your right. That's what I get for posting at 3 AM! Don;t [arent the clothing just be extra carful it doesn;t poke tru anywhere.

mike

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 2:16 PM

Using Poser 6, ever time I try this, everything just stretched out towards the ground. I've change the cloth density but it still does it.

Letterworks ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 2:57 PM · edited Sat, 12 May 2007 at 2:57 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_377329.jpg

Made another mistake the Cloth Density settings ahould be between .02 -.03 sorry memory fault at that time of the morning.

Attached pic show the process on the L33T Wifebeater top by EvilInnocence for V3 from Freestuff converted to Blackhearted's GND2.  The top shows the fit with in the native state of the figure and the clothing. The second pic shows the starting value, the X and Z scale of GND2 has been set to 70%, The X and Z scale of the shirt is set to 80%. The final pic shows the effect after runningthe sim for 30 frames. Not the "wrinkles" are all but stretched out.

Sorry for the mistakes in my first post, I was working late when I decided to post it and trying to do it from memory that late was a mistake.

mike

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2007 at 6:09 AM

I've been messing around in the cloth room for a bit but evertime I try doing this with something link pants, the always drop to the floor or stretch totally out of shape. What is the setting to use to keep stuff like pants from doing this?

Starting to get disgusted with it because it just doesn't work for me even when I use settings that other people post.

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2007 at 10:23 AM

Pants are special.
A solution is to model some suspendors on the pants that can rest on the figures shoulders. Then make those suspenders a separate group and make them invisible.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2007 at 11:04 AM

Quote - What is the setting to use to keep stuff like pants from doing this?

Turn the figure upside down.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2007 at 11:09 AM · edited Sun, 13 May 2007 at 11:12 AM

Did this a couple of years ago:

tubetop01gr6.gif

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2007 at 12:32 PM

vilters that suspenders idea is a teriffic suggestion! also....for pants can't you make the first row of vertices a restrained group? Or do the pants still slide down?

LittleDragon's animation most appreciated, that tells the tale.

:: og ::

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2007 at 3:18 PM

Building a restrained group is another solution, but it gets in the way if if you want the pants to conform well. Or you have to do some very precise modelling.

Letterworks ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2007 at 4:21 PM

I've had some success wtih raising the Static and Dynamic Friction values and leaving the cloth density very low. I'll post a set of pics a little later but this is one thing you can try.

If I were doing this with a custom modeled piece I would deffinately make it with a suspender strap or two, designed to be removed. 

mike

Letterworks ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2007 at 7:22 PM · edited Sun, 13 May 2007 at 7:30 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_377435.jpg

OK here are some pics. I've use PoserWorld Hoiliday Pants for V4 and GND2 again.

In the first pic I adjusted the scale and even moved the legs about a bit so the figure fits in the pants (which were reduced by about 5-10% on the X and Z scales.

The second picture shows the 7th frame of the simulation when the figure is back at 100% scale and the leg movements have been Zeroed out. This is probably the frame from which I would export the object.

The third picture show the effect of letting the simulation run to 30. you can see that the top edge and lower edge of the the pants are stating to droop.

The settings I;ve used for this are:

Fold Resistance 195.0
Stretch Resistance 10.0
Static Friction 0.2300
Dynamic Friction 0.2300

all others are left at default

If you raise the friction setting TOO high it REALLY affects the procesing time for the simulation. At one point my simulation failed at about frame 28. I could have lowered the number if frames and raised the frictions etting but this setting only took about 20 minutes and the results look fine to me.

mike

WHOOPs just realized that I reversed in order of the last 2 pictures. The bottom picture should be in the second place.

FreeBass ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2007 at 8:17 PM

Here's my own method fer refitting clothes...

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2137231

As fer the pants ting, I'd use the constrained group method myself, but ya wanna make sure there is NO pokethrough in the group (in the areas visible in yr final render, anyway) as this group will not adjust to fit the new figure.

WARNING!

This user has been known to swear. A LOT!

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 11:22 AM

OK We have a tShirt :)

So how do we make it a conforming tShirt ?

RorrKonn

Letterworks ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 1:04 PM · edited Mon, 14 May 2007 at 1:06 PM

First you need to "cut" it into groups. 

Here's the hard way: http://www.dacort.com/3D/tutorials_grouptool.php?page=1

This is one of the easy ways: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=21081

Then make the clothing conforming: http://www.nerd3d.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=11

or use the setup room, refer to your poser manual... but basically this means importing a "donor skeleton" form some other item of clothing to create a skeleton for your figure. If you intend to distribute your clothing you need to be careful with this method as it can transfer information that MUST be stripped from the CR2 befoer you can sell or give it away. DAZ and E-Frontier supply developer versions of their figures that can be used as doners.

As above there is also software to do this step as well: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=56097&vendor=markdc

mike

RorrKonn ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 1:24 AM

Thanks trav

RorrKonn

nomuse ( ) posted Thu, 17 May 2007 at 3:32 PM

Trick I've been experimenting with of late is to use a very short animation (4 frames or less) but dialing up the steps-per-frame to 30 or more. This appears to limit the amount something will fall (due to gravity) during the shrink-fit. However, I have not done a physics demonstration to prove whether this actually changes falling speed in the Poserverse (I'm not even sure if falling is an acceleration, or a constant). Another note -- as of P6 the self-collision depth of a fabric is independent of thickness or stand-off settings. However, since this is a fixed measurement in Poser space, you can essentially change the thickness for self-collision by changing the size of the cloth (and collision objects.) I recently did a day's worth of cloth runs experimenting with scrunchies (those hair things some young women wear). Making them close to final scale made for much more realistic scrunching. (I've had to stop and re-think that project as scrunching a torus didn't provide the proper look or a realistic UVmap. When I try again it will be with a cylinder bent around in a circle and welded).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.