Fri, Sep 20, 5:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: A way to get a realistic skin with Poser character using SSS?

vincebagna ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 3:23 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:31 PM

Hello all!

After several tests, i just can't manage to get a realistic SSS effect with the skin. I mean, the reddish stuff we can see through the ears for instance, i can't get it right. All i have, is a semi-transparent head with visible eyeballs and teeth!

Did someone ever succeed with this effect?
And is it possible to attach a map to localize the SSS like in Poser?

My Store

bruno021 ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 11:01 AM

If you want to create real SSS, you need to use a very very tiny small amount of SSS, I use meters, and I guess you use feet, but my last render of Miki had SSS and I limited the depth to 0.1 centimeter ( which is almost nothing). You will also need to apply same parameters to the eyelashes, otherwise, the transparency will be lost. For eyelashes, tick the "use infinitely thin model" box.
If you want to fake it like in Poser, you will need to draw a luminosity map in a paint program, where you would limit the luminosity to the thin areas of the body (ears, nostrils) where the translucency effect is the most visible. You would do this over the original Poser texture. Then, in the advanced material editor, light and effects tab, drive the luminosity parameter by this bitmap.

HORNO ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 5:26 PM

bruno021...

could you give more detail on the luminosity map part?  What is a luminosity map and how do I make one in photoshop?  Thanks for any info on the subject!

eldritch48 ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 1:52 AM

Or, you could go buy SkinVue 6.2, and save yourself days of time...

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:26 AM

Quote - Or, you could go buy SkinVue 6.2, and save yourself days of time...

Which assumes you have Vue 6i - which I can't afford at the moment :(

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 2:30 AM

eldritch, I think Vincebagna doesn't have Infinite, and SV6 is Infinite only.
Horno, what you need to do is paint over the original Poser texture from dark grey ( parts of the face that use the less SSS in dark grey to light grey for parts such as ears, nostrils,..), If you then assign this map to the luminosity parameter in the advanced material editor in Vue, the lighter the map, the more luminosity you get. Of course this will not be accurate, because it won't be light dependent, it's faking it à la Poser.

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 3:33 AM

file_377579.jpg

Yep! Bruno is right, i use Vue6 d'Esprit, so i can't use SV6. And to my despair, numerous very usefull features available in Infnite are missing in Esprit. The luminosity parameter in the material editor is one of them. On the image i attached, you can see the only parameters available in Esprit. It's in french but the terms are rather near the english ones.

@HORNO, you could find an example of luminosity map into your P6 folder, under the file Poser6RutimetexturesPoser 6 texturesJames, it's called James_face_SSS. Yo have the same for Jessi. They're used for SSS with the default P6 SSS shaders for poser people.

My Store

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 4:00 AM

Vince ( you're french?), the luminosity parameter I mention is in the advanced material editor, not in the function editor,  light and effects tab ( My Infinite is in english, though I'm french, so I don't know how it is translated), in front of he word luminosity, there is a lightning icon ( icone "éclair), click on this icon, then you get to the function editor, and there you can  drive the luminosity parameter by a bitmap, the luminosity map you created in a paint program. But maybe the parameter cannot be driven by  a function in Esprit. This, I don't know.

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 4:43 AM

Oh, un collègue!!
Yes i'm french as mentionned under my avatar. Did you know you could get the patch to turn your app into french?
Esprit i really restricted cause there is no icon like that in my effect tab. I can't wait to upgrade to infinite! Im buying the different modules to get Pro version, after that i could upgrade (i already own the Botanica, LightTune, and DeepAcces modules).

My Store

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 4:44 AM

file_377581.jpg

Oops!

My Store

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 4:49 AM

I hadn't read your details, where do you live? I see Esprit is limited here too. So there is nothing  you can do to fake SSS, but you can try using real SSS with 0.1 cm depth.
I know I can change the language, but I'm used to it in english.

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 5:06 AM

I'm in Britain!

My Store

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 5:23 AM

Oh, Britain, OK! That's cool, I love the UK. I used to live in london.

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 5:25 AM

Oops! I meant Britanny... ;S
Bretagne quoi LOL

My Store

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 5:32 AM

Yeah, not the same! I'm in Paris.

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 6:48 AM · edited Tue, 15 May 2007 at 6:48 AM

The only trouble with doing SSS like that is it gets to be a right pain in the butt to set it for every single material on a figure :(

Oh for an "apply to all like this" button :)

Or be able to select multiple textures at once and change them all in one go

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 6:52 AM · edited Tue, 15 May 2007 at 6:52 AM

Indeed, Frank, you need to create maps for all textures, and each figure. Rendering will be a lot faster, but less accurate, and painting the SSS maps will take quite a long time, will need some trial & error, and will be needed for every figure.
But Vue6 allows to use the Poser shader tree, so maybe if you really want to fake it, this is the best solution.

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 6:57 AM

I actually meant using the real SSS shader in Vue rather than the maps - I tend to avoid anything that means I need to use Poser inside Vue 'cos I'm rather short on RAM at the moment.  I'll probably be fiddling round with it tonight heh.  I seem to do a lot of that at the moment

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 7:48 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1433239&member

Frank, try my settings, see above reply in this thread, and checek the results:

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 8:17 AM

What were exactly your settings fo your render (the effect here is great!)
Could you post a screen shot of your settings?

My Store

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 8:31 AM

file_377620.jpg

OK.

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 8:41 AM

Thanks, but where do you change the setting to use mm instead of feet?

My Store

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 8:54 AM

You change this in the Display options window, under File, Options.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.