Wed, Sep 18, 2:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 8:39 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Slightly OT : Stitches Freebie - Offensive Advertising Image

mathman ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 4:56 PM · edited Wed, 11 September 2024 at 1:01 PM

I'm not sure whether this is the best forum to get the attention of the Mods, but here goes.

I don't very often complain, but I am going to register a complaint here.

The R'osity freestuff area currently has an item up called Stitches, complete with a disgusting and genuinely repellent advertising image of a close-up, in your face, picture of someone's stitches.

I was in the middle of breakfast when I was browsing freestuff, and this came up. Needless to say I nearly threw up my breakfast.

Now I'm sure that there are many out there who wouldn't blink twice when seeing that - if that is the case, well, what can I say ? .... well, bully for you. ...... BUT .... there are many of us who are appalled by such images. How do I know this ? ... its because TV stations routinely announce a viewer advisory when they  are about to show a hospital procedure, needles etc.

So, Mods, do you think you could you please cover this up with a "Content Advisory" or something similar ?? .... and please be a bit more tactful with such items in future.

PS I am cross-posting this thread to the Freestuff forum as well.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 5:19 PM

This thumb will be reviewed. Thanks for calling it to our attention

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

mathman ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 5:25 PM

Thanks.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 5:50 PM

I saw the thumb. it was a little creepy, but there are various legitimate medical reasons to show such stuff. if it were associated with torture or violence, then I'd complain, too. but if it's in the context of some guy needing stitches in a medical setting, I wouldn't gripe.

mathman ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 8:38 PM

You are missing the point Miss Nancy.

On TV, if they are showing medical procedures or blood or needles there is usually a viewer advisory beforehand, e.g. "Please be advised that the following program contains scenes which may disturb some viewers". It's to cater for squeamish people such as myself.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 11:03 PM

Ugh! I was surfing freestuff and that made me flinch. I'm glad it wasn't on an eye. Now that would make me shudder. But I do understand why they made the thumb. Gives an idea of what the download is since there are no promo pics to click on.

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 14 May 2007 at 11:41 PM · edited Mon, 14 May 2007 at 11:43 PM

o.k. then, they'll hafta institute a new rule. I understand that these things need some advisory. I reckon few folks wanna see that. i useta be squeamish meself in early days. in addition to preventing us from seeing nudie thumbs, they'll hafta prevent us from seeing medical thumbs as well. no complaints here. of course, we'll still likely be forced to view bondage thumbs. apparently we are trying to teach all the 13-yr-old boys who come here that nudity is more offensive than seeing someone in chains or otherwise degraded or humiliated.

lemur01 ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 1:13 PM

Soooooooooooo because YOU are squeamish.... nobody else get to see it? Buddy the problem is yours and yours alone so don't try and censor ME to suite YOU. And FYI maybe where you are hospital shows make a disclaimer, but where i live it's pretty much accepted that if its a hospital show then there is going to be... oh i dunno, blood maybe, and perhaps the odd chance of people getting cut up and stuff.

Jeez blessed are the monority whiners for they shall screw it up for the rest of us, Amen.

Sasha_Maurice ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 1:58 PM

The mental image I had of someone throwing up their breakfast on their keyboard grossed me out more than that thumbnail did. :blink:

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 8:52 PM

I'm a nurse. Nothing grosses me out,  :laugh:  I  frequently talk blood and guts over dinner  :laugh:

The one thing that makes me queezy is phlegm from a trach that is  slimy and thick and so sticky that when the patient coughs it sticks to the wall across the room!  And yes, that does happen!! So you quickly learn that  when you are suctioning a trach, you stand well back and to the side when the person starts to cough because otherwise the results can be pretty darn gross,  LOL

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2007 at 9:17 PM

OBkaybe...that trumps that thumb for sure :lol:

~Jani

Faery_Light ( ) posted Wed, 16 May 2007 at 5:21 AM

Acadia, that does sound a bit...err...stomach turning. :) Not to keen on seeing blood spurting when someone has their IV pop out and hit the wall either but that happened to my room mate when I was in the hospital once. That stitch thumb made me flinch because I hate to think of ever needing stitches...lol. But how else can an eample of the product be shown if not that way?

bonestructure ( ) posted Wed, 16 May 2007 at 8:52 AM

Blood and guts don't gross me out. Baby poop, THAT grosses me out. Yup.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Wed, 16 May 2007 at 4:25 PM

Ok, got a decision from the team. The thumbnail will be allowed to stay up as is, because its a minor wound.

TOS states:

Images of minor bruising, burns or bloody wounds that have already occurred are acceptable

~Jani

DarkElegance ( ) posted Thu, 17 May 2007 at 3:25 AM

O.o ok...so now we have to be careful if we show stitches or medical treatment.....
I have the perfect solution..
really.
I do.
just don't show thumbs at all.
that way those that get offended at medical style textures(we do have to see quality if we are going to dl it) wont get offended,
those that don't like clowns(sorry Nancy but I have a fear of clowns and I am sure others do as well) wont get scared of the occasional clown or clown like thumbs,
those that have issues with nudity wont be offended,
those scared of spiders or bugs wont get offended at those,
those scared of snakes wont be offended or scared,
those offended by questionable situations or bondage wont be offended,
those with a fear of cloth or buttons(don't laugh I just watched a show about that and a woman was utterly terrified of buttons) wont be offended,
those that do not like violence or have an issue against weapons wont be offended,
pretty much just put white squares and make it a "guess the freebie" type of deal.
everyone will be happy except those that get offended at having to guess or are offended by white.

seriously, when dealing in a site that has a huge volume of people doing 3D work that requires high res quality textures you are bound to run into things like medical examples. Not all art is happy, light, airy, sweet, innocent etc.

sometimes you need such textures etc...

https://www.darkelegance.co.uk/

Commission open.

bonestructure ( ) posted Thu, 17 May 2007 at 4:17 AM

Oh I have way worse wound pictures than that one. I have some completely horrendous ones. And guts. I have guts. Abcesses, really icky stuff.

And where's that free human model you had in your posts but that I don't see now. Is it really free? Put a link on the banner if yer gonna put em in your posts.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 17 May 2007 at 9:17 AM

I dont know if its possible but can additional pictures be put into the detail popup ?  If they can that would be a good place for possibly offensive pics for nudity, violence and medical stuff.

3-DArena ( ) posted Thu, 17 May 2007 at 9:13 PM

Man I can totally top that with images from when my son was hit by the truck a few years ago- Personally I think staples are way more disgusting than stitches...

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

RajDArge ( ) posted Thu, 17 May 2007 at 11:08 PM · edited Thu, 17 May 2007 at 11:13 PM

You people are perverted and sick.

I got sitches and some namby pamby little whet thinks that they look offensive.
Personally I like em.

I put em in myself, and I've never put a bottle of jack daniels to better use.

So when is the process of natural selection gonna make adults of us all?

Another bleeting mouth to feed.

Oh and whatever you were eating when you threw up could have probably fed some starving child in Rwanda for a week: who has never seen computer but has probably seen stitches or perhaps a gaping wound in somebodies abdomen cause their is no freeking doctor around to STITCH them up.

Anniebel ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 1:18 AM

Quote - I'm a nurse. Nothing grosses me out,  :laugh:  I  frequently talk blood and guts over dinner  :laugh:

The one thing that makes me queezy is phlegm from a trach that is  slimy and thick and so sticky that when the patient coughs it sticks to the wall across the room!  And yes, that does happen!! So you quickly learn that  when you are suctioning a trach, you stand well back and to the side when the person starts to cough because otherwise the results can be pretty darn gross,  LOL

LOL I'm with you there, I'm a nurse too, but sputum is they only thing I cannot stand.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

DarkStarRising ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 9:11 PM

**WTF, stitchs are NOTHING, i find them fasinating and great to work with.
There are a few sets in the store that have wounds and stitchs for sale, i dont find them yukky are disturbing at all.

Heck, if you want stitchs, i could always show you my cesarian photos 5 layers of stitchs

and it seems the stitchs pack has gone GRRRR please who ever did them please put them back.**

In the words of DarkStarRising:
"Sadness within sadness,
Darkness within darkness,
a shadow of a form lays upon the floor,
looking at herself
looking at her own shadows of loneliness"

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 9:50 PM

Well after seeing some of the things they show on evening news I don't think this one will make me flinch too much more. :)

I do use stitches and wounds resource at times but I'm empathic and wounds on anyone or anything bother me....sigh.

Guess on my 3d charactewrs it won't hurt them. LOL.

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 12:08 AM

LMFAO!

This entire thread has me in stitches!  I've seen rediculous, pointless threads posted here over the years...hundreds of 'em...some of 'em started by yours truly...but this one takes first prize!  You've won a Renderosity Barf Bag, embossed with your screen name!

Thanks for the much needed laugh, and congratulations on your win! 

And yes, do as suggested: remember the starving children of Rwanda as you puke your Cap'n Crunch all over your keyboard!

jjroland ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 11:07 PM

We should probably hang him.  The OP I mean.  Chances are he will need to be tortured as well.  And we probably WONT stitch him up.  His offense - having the nerve, the ultimate audacity to speak his opinion.  
Not that he demanded to have it changed, he was happy to have it reviewed, but either way we should all call him names and shoot spit wads at him now.   Because it's only censorship when it applies to us personally right?

Who is with me????

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

Dajadues ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 11:33 AM · edited Fri, 25 May 2007 at 11:36 AM

Where is it? I didnt even get to see this fab freebie thats causing all this fuss in two forums? :/

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 3:50 PM

Ok, looks like that item was removed...lets let this thread die now folks so I dont have to lock it ;)

~Jani

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.