Sun, Sep 22, 8:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: My Glasses.....(comments welcome)

FATfoe ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 9:36 AM ยท edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 5:59 PM

file_172790.jpg

I reproduced my glasses in carrara, trying to make them as true to life as possible. I've even got little screws here and there if you look closely.......what do you reckon? (it looks like there arnt any lenses cuz of the lights angle)

AzChip ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 10:15 AM

file_172792.jpg

In a word, WOW! Very impressive. I even like the softly textured surface they're sitting on. My only suggestion would be to place a couple fairly low intensity lights with a gel to simulate the refraction of your source light through the lenses -- fake the caustics. The image above uses the gel (inset) on a spotlight placed just above the shadow of the lens. I think caustics like this would pop the realism even more. This could pass for a photo.

cristianr ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 11:09 AM

Very impressive indeed. Just do what AzChip suggested and it will be even more impressive.

FATfoe ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 11:51 AM

Thanks for the advice AzChip Ill try that

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 6:22 PM

Nice work!

Izuel ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 7:42 PM

Smooth! are you sure you made that in carrara?

Kixum ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 10:42 PM

Have you tried making the glass real glass with the refraction and seeing if Carrara would actually calculate the funky caustics? Supposedly it's supposed to be able to do that. At a minimu, you'd get the light of the arms through the glass tweaked correctly. RDS could pull that magic trick off. If you do the gel and the refraction, I agree that it would look just like a real photo. Good job for inspiring all of us!

-Kix

rockjockjared ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2001 at 4:03 AM

Kixum -- I've tried to play with Carrara and "real" caustics. I was working on a magnifying glass over a book and it turned out quite weird! Unfortionately I don't think Carrara has that great of a raytracing engine...or I could have just been doing something wrong (which is probably closer to being correct!) Jared

ewinemiller ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2001 at 9:02 AM

Carrara doesn't support caustics. Eric Winemiller Digital Carvers Guild Freeware and commercial 3D extensions http://digitalcarversguild.com

Eric Winemiller
Digital Carvers Guild
Carrara and LightWave plug-ins

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.