Fri, Sep 20, 10:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Native American characters and artefacts?

Colin_S ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2007 at 4:11 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 8:27 AM

Anyone know of any models or characters of Native American people or things? Anything will do but I'm really interested in the people of the 17th and 18th centuries. 

If I have to make them myself, anyone know any well illustrated websites on the subject, settlers as well as indigenous peoples?

Morgano ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2007 at 4:23 PM
Realmling ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2007 at 4:26 PM

Attached Link: 3dSC Native American Downloads

There's the 3dSC Native American Project from 2005, should find plenty of props to help get you started.

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

Darboshanski ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2007 at 9:40 PM

I have a grizzly bear claw necklace on my site

My Facebook Page

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2007 at 10:35 PM

Go to the Market Place here and Search for "American".  There are 3 pages of items.

http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php

There are free things too. I will have to dig out links though.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2007 at 11:19 PM

Attached Link: http://www.cmccomplete.com/html/poser_downloads.html

Here is some jewellery

jugoth ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 1:44 AM

Go to content paradise to thier historical section for g2 character's, i asked them last year we need colonial stuff from 1600s to 1767 and they have a nice pilgrim set.

Colin_S ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 4:09 AM

Thank you everybody, I have enough to make a start.

2 further queries - is a  'rather high-cheeked Asiatic'  the facial shape to start with when trying character modelling?
Also what is the correct or closest acceptable skin texture for a character - I assume the old Hollywood 'Red Indian' is a myth. 

Being from Northern England, I have no first hand knowledge of this area.
It would be interesting to hear from a member of the ethnic group who is also a 3D modeller or artist, what textures they use or how they portray this

martial ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 4:24 AM

Good Apache clothing is at Poserworld

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 4:41 AM

M_Cheevy ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 3:59 AM

As a research starting point you can probably do no better than:

Smithsonian National Museumof the American Indian
http://www.nmai.si.edu/

Specifically, their online exhibitions section at:
http://www.nmai.si.edu/subpage.cfm?subpage=exhibitions&second=online

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2007 at 3:03 PM
Forum Moderator

I highly recommend "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 27 May 2007 at 1:17 AM

A couple of quick scans from the WPA Guide to Oklahoma, pub. 1940.
These might duplicate some of Acadia's links, but they're certainly
authentic and interesting faces.

http://ockhamsbungalow.com/MiscProps/okla1.jpg

http://ockhamsbungalow.com/MiscProps/okla2.jpg

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

coldrake ( ) posted Sun, 27 May 2007 at 1:30 AM

This just stunning set came out. http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=56645&TopID=&WhatsNew=Y Coldrake

mickmca ( ) posted Sun, 27 May 2007 at 8:30 AM

Check the store for Keihan, at PoserPros, for some good props, including a roach and an Eastern Woodlands war club, I think.

Quote - Coldrake

RenaPD's textures are lovely, but if the project involves realism, they aren't much use. I wish someone would do some American Indian costumes based on the lovely reality of elk-tooth dresses, beadwork, and weaving. Instead the emphasis is on Las Vegas "interpretations" and Harlequin Romance fantasies.

Acadia's photos are contemporary good examples, but for 17th and 18th C skin tones I wouldn't trust them. Most of the folks in the photos are mixed-bloods. Nothing wrong with being amalgamated, but these are not the faces you see in photos of the 19th C, much less what was likely earlier. For skin color, your best bet is Karl Bodmer, George Catlin, and the other artists who tried to faithfully reproduce the colors. They are also a wonderful source of ceremonial costume. Even the apparently romanticized "perfect bodies" that seem so unrealistic in depictions of 16th C East Coast Indians are now thought to be more accurate than we gave them credit for, because Indians were so much healthier than their malnourished and unwashed visitors.

Also keep in mind that "Indians" is a European invention, as useful for identifying physical types as "European" is. Which is, not much. Even a white person would never mistake a typical Algonquian from the great lakes with a Cherokee, Navajo, or Cheyenne; they are as different as typical German, Italian, and Magyar. Edward Curtis' pictures are dramatizations rather than a documentary record, but they give you some idea of the diversity of types.

martial ( ) posted Sun, 27 May 2007 at 10:42 AM

I am totally agree with you mickmca

Colin_S ( ) posted Mon, 28 May 2007 at 7:37 AM

Looked at the Smithsonian and Googled Catlin and Bodmer   -  brought up some outstanding images.

Any other notable artists or recorders of the Eastern peoples, or those of the South-West?

mickmca ( ) posted Mon, 28 May 2007 at 8:40 AM

Google Powhatan under images and you are likely to get some 17th European pictures of material culture that you can trust.

M

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 28 May 2007 at 12:31 PM

Hmmm. Don't know about southwest or eastern tribes, except maybe the Cherokee. (A beautiful people ... my partner is part Cherokee).  But I do know a bit about the plains Indians.  You can find a lot about them in the artwork of James Bama (Who by the way use to create Science Fiction book covers when he first started out).  His work is very detailed and authentic. 

Also look up the Plains Indian Museum at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody Wyoming.  I lived in Cody for many years and worked at the museum for a summer.  Oddly here in the US the Plains tribes are the most often used in fiction and movies.  

Good luck.  

Boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Colin_S ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 5:05 AM

Googling Powhatan gives excellent results (too good, I spent hours following the site and links!)

Thank you all again, and apologies for being slow with this, been away for a few days.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.