Thu, Sep 19, 4:10 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT - What's in a Name?

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 5:30 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:43 AM

There are so many interesting user names here. I'm curious if there's any background story to them, or something interesting about them. 

For instance, with mine, Death at Midnight, I used to be in an early Internet game called a MUD (multiple user domain) and used to get killed rather often. I wasn't very good at it. So I made a new character, Death, and role played the Grim Reaper, taking the persona from the Discworld. This I did quite well and haven't been able to shake off the persona whenever I go online somewhere. 

Then another player in the game became a professional writer. Her first successful novela was "At the Stroke of Midnight", where she based Death upon the role-playing persona I used. Thus, my name since then is taken from the game (Castle Perilous it was called) and her novela: Death at Midnight.

So, if anyone ever wondered, I'm not into gothic or heavy metal, or anything like that. I haven't changed the name because there's still many online who only know me by my handle.

So, what's in your name?

aprilgem ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 5:40 PM

Mine's straightforward. My full name has a total of four names. April's my first name, and my last three initials are G, E, and M, the last for Martinez.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 6:50 PM

Mine is equally straightforward ... My first and middle names.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

archdruid ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 7:27 PM

Mine comes from my D&D days.... he was a charachter that I developed and played for many years. Lou.

"..... and that was when things got interestiing."

Dann-O ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 7:30 PM

Dann-O is an old nickname. Sort of taken from Hawaii 5-0. That said I look nothing like the character. Just a take on my name.

My other name on a few sites is Monkey King. (occasionally someone will call me monkey dude because of that)  That is a popular character with children from Chinese mythology. since I am living in china now I get to see him quite a bit, and since I have a very young daughter she likes him. (the name of the Monkey King is Sun Wu Kong) Also since I teach in university I use it as my Chinese name it gets a laugh. (sort of like saying your name is Santa Claus)

I use the latter name at 3D commune and subdivisionmodeling.com and highpoly3d.

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

vangogh ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 7:48 PM

Coming from the world of precomputer art (painting and drawing on canvas and artboard) I always got asked alot who my favorite artist was. And that of course is Vincent Van Gogh. I hope he doesn't mind me using his famous name even though I have changed it slightly. I have maybe one tenth the talent he had, but we do have something in common. During his lifetime, he only sold one painting, and that is a distinction that I have accomplished too. One painting sold to date....hey anyone....if you are interested, I have paintings for sale....willing to sell cheap!!

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 7:56 PM

I started here as nu-be, but after a year, people got tired of it (nascent talent? or just a joke grown old?...details at 11..;)

So I wanted to be Gadfly (sorta suits my nature..;), but that was taken...@#$%..;)

I had a picture on the wall from a site called 'You Can't do that on Star Trek' (great site, if it's still there...really wicked funny pics..though nothing for about 4-5 years)

'The Pakled award for Smart People and Technical things (I'm a techie IRL...;)

and there you have it.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 9:12 PM

Incarnadine was a bit of a bad pun on my earlier published works (pen/ink BDSM illo's for Bondage life and associated fetish magazines - yes I do erotica (grin)) - I actually saw the Castle Perilous books after taking this nic. I do kinda like the idea of the Lord title though.  I also was heavily into id's FPS and the name just worked for a serious frag nut.

Function:adjective Etymology:Middle French incarnadin, from Old Italian incarnadino, from incarnato flesh-colored, from Late Latin incarnatusDate:1591

1**:** having the pinkish color of flesh
2:** red; especially : bloodred**

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

erosiaart ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 2:17 AM

pun on my name.. rosie.  created by a friend. i was going thru a really tough time.. and to amuse me.. he punned my name into erosia..to create that impression that i was into erotic and exotic art and not conceptual art. hence erosiaart. 

i looked up that name on the web..and incidently..erosia is the goddess of love and fertility and protection, protecting pple by placing them within her body. she's supposed to be a warrior's favorite god. she bonds peole with love, so that their kids are full of love. i have no idea which culture this is from. seems to be either scottish or celtic. 

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 2:39 AM

I was messing about with some of those name generator scripts that pop up at various places & found a gothic name generator, put my full name into it & it came out with Lucifer The Dark, it just seems to fit my twisted sense of humour.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

boekenwuurm ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 3:47 AM

Mine name is actualy an accident. When I make an gmail account, i want to use my dutch forum name, Boekenwurm, transtated bookworm. But, with thanks to my dyslectia, I typed 2 u's.  From that moment, I surf on the net with the name Boekenwuurm.

Stoner ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 3:53 AM

My nick could very well leave the impression that I´m some kind of drug-romantic. Actually it only has to do with my addiction to stoner-rock band Kyuss. And the nick sounds cool I think? Its´not easy for a non-english to choose a good nick in english. I guess a nick in swedish would be harder to understand, if that´s the point.

Good spelling is overaytead

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 7:23 AM

there's a Stoner company that makes machine guns..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Gog ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 7:50 AM

Mine comes from the days when you could only put three letters into video games, GJS my initials seemed boring so I used Gog, and have done ever since on forums and with various fragfest video games.

When I came here Gog was already taken so I added some rubbish to the end......

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 7:55 AM
Forum Moderator

Having got into Brycing I was discussing this very subject with my son. There seems to be a thang in the USA whereby some folks have titles instead of names. For example: My granddaughter Rebecca is known as Becky, but using an Americanism this became 'The Beckster' and this is now my pet name for her. (She loves it btw) (Hope I'm making sense here)

Moving on, and with all this in mind, we went through 'The Brycer', which sort of collides with everyday speak on this forum as we're all 'Brycers', so that didn't work, to 'The Brycester', which to you Americans reads: The Bry-sester. However, by changing one letter or two we get 'The Bry-ster', which sort of rang a chord so that's what I/we chose !!! The rest if history!

What bugs me though, is that I wanted to use THE BRYSTER, but the forum wouldn't let me spell it that way because of the space between THE and BRYSTER. I didn't want to use an underline to get THE_BRYSTER, so I became TheBryster...........

(Gets the award for the most complicated explaination in the forum) ;-)

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

FarawayPictures ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 10:30 AM · edited Tue, 08 May 2007 at 10:31 AM

Mine comes from a name I made up in my school days. I used to have a small logo too of some distant hills that I'd put on all my pics.
Just sort of stuck with it.

PORTAL

Ang25 ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 4:00 PM

well mine is pretty simple, I'm an Angela and my friends called me Ange which I always spelt Ang and my favorite numbers are 5 and 2 but I prefer them in the order of 25. I'm closer in age to 52 than 25 so that has nothing to do with it.  or everything if I'm in denial, lol.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 4:34 PM · edited Tue, 08 May 2007 at 4:35 PM

It all started back in 1983 when at the age of 13, I  bought my Commodore 64 and was doing some ASCII ro ANSI Art (Graphics using Text), and The C64 Fonts allowed for Solid Filled Lines with Sharp ends.. So I had this cool logo done "Software Demon" so for a while I was "Software Demon", I've always been into Synths, Sampling and the C64 was pretty good with those for an 8-Bit PC.  I finaly bought an Amiga Computer (1986) which could produce amazing Digitzed (Sampled Sounds)...so at that Point I changed my Alias to "Digi Master" and for a while it was ok, but it wasnt cool enough.  So I started to think what kind of name should I use?  Well I love Analog Synthersizers so I thought AnalogS...but that didnt apeal to me... so I did some more variations and ended up with Analog-X, and its been like that since 1986.

I did breifly consider changing my Alias back in 1986 because of another famous website using the name, but when I took a poll on a Musicians Forum everyone voted for me to keep the name.

So I've kept it.

chohole ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 4:46 PM

All these interesting names, mine is just from the name of our house, as in Chohole Gate Lodge. I was going to use my name, but there were so many Pams around when I joined up and I wanted something different.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

RodsArt ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 4:51 PM

"Image Communication Media" came about when I was first interested in Puter graphics, I originally started off here as "ICMgraphics"....and changed it a year or two later.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

Lown ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 3:09 AM

Mine comes from an old nickname version of my real name, Leon. Freinds used to change the middle two letters round to Loen, which then became Lowen.
This kinda became my own nickname for myself whenever i put a sig on art, but i changed it to Low N, sounds cool and kind of "heavy" like "hey i tune MY guitar down to low N"
Was supposed to be Low N here but came out like lown, oh well!!

SunsetHunter ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 4:48 AM

Mine was bestowed on me by a Japanese guy I travelled with for a week in Brazil in October 1999.

We took a 4 day riverboat trip up the Rio Madeira to Manaus (along with a couple of hundred locals, one of whom looked like Charles Manson's twin brother!!). Each day, I would make a point of standing at the bow of the boat and watch the sunset so my travelling companion called me Sunset Hunter and I thought it was a pretty cool name. He even wrote it out in Japanese script for me, something I still have. I'll always remember that trip as it was so peaceful gliding along a river deep in the Amazon jungle, hour after hour, day after day....

Here at Rendo is the first time I've ever used that name though. I'm a member of a music forum as well, and go by the far less romantic nick of Dazza66 over there!

Great thread by the way D@M!

Elsina ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 4:44 AM

Mine is simple, it's my name, a low-saxon form of Elisabeth.

My gallery @ Renderosity

scoleman123 ( ) posted Thu, 10 May 2007 at 9:06 AM

I did a forum like this when we had the den.....

Scoleman123

Steve Coleman 123

First initial, last name (our school's log on for everyone) 123 at times means differnt things.

facebook.com/scoleman123

dashboard_jehovah ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 12:08 AM

My nick comes from the days when boys would be boys (and also be the town terrors).
To make a long story short...A friend had an old Caddy thsat we would would tear around town in on summer nights and week-ends.
The old Cadilac coupe de'ville was a hand me down ride from his grandfather...white with matching interior, white wall tires and and a decent stereo to boot!
On the dashboard was superglued a "religous bobble headed figurine"...aptly named by me and my co-horts "jehovah"...you know...those people you want to punch in the face when they keep knocking on your door at 7:00 am in the morning wanting to convert your sorry arse.
Anywho...we would smack that bobble headed thing when we wanted  an easy and cheap laugh...trying to finally knock it off of its obviously impermeable base...to no avail.
hence the name >>>dashboard_jehovah
Have had a few inquiries as to why I chose this nick...hope this clears up the confusion for anyone interested!...peace, Mark.

Gog ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 4:15 AM

Have you heard the Billy Idol song 'Plastic Jesus' ? I think he's stolen an idea from you Jehovah!

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 1:31 AM

I just wanted something cool, that people might remember, and at the time Matrix 1 had been out, and the upcoming two sequels had been announced, and for some reason, no one already had the screenname.

So, there ya go.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

matrixmode ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 2:39 AM

I got my first computer a couple of years after The Matrix came out.  It's one of my all  time favorites and I wanted a username that tied in to the movie somehow.
Seems like all my choices were already taken.  My first choice was "Agent Smith", lol.  Thanks alot Kirk.  ;P
Then one day I was looking through some game hacks (cheat codes) and came across one called "Matrix Mode".  Sounded good to me at the time.  I first used it on Xbox LIve.  The name sort of grew on me and now I've been using it so long it's difficult to change.
I have it in lowercase letters 'cause to me it's more a state of mind than a name.  :)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

vncnt9663 ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 3:47 AM

Long ago at the beginning of the age of the Internet, I needed a user name to receive email. Only thing was all the derivations of my name were already taken. So I let the online company pick my name. I’ve used it ever since. 

electroglyph ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 9:03 AM

I started with pencils, charcoal, I even had a set of those Rapidograph pens. When I finally got the HTML bug and was going to do websites I needed a SIG. I did up a quill pin in a robot hand for a logo. I used to draw on paper, now I draw electronic glyphs. It became electroglyph because I couldn't use spaces and I was too lazy to type it all out anyway.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 9:45 AM

Well my name came about from two things really, first I was getting very edgy trying to find a name that wasn't taken, FBaker, FranB, FranBaker and such variations, I did try Dream'sEdge, but apostropies are not liked online.

I was writing a novel at the time (still have early incarnations of it) which was called "Dream's Edge" so a combination of that and me getting very frustrated, resulted somehow in -
FranOnTheEdge

• with or without the capitals.

Turns out this was a pretty good choice and whenever I want to join a forum or workshop - I've never yet found it taken.

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

dashboard_jehovah ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2007 at 11:56 AM

Fran on the edge...I have always liked your nickname!...very original and eye catching in itself!

Gog ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 3:46 AM

Well after reading this thread, I figured I check and see if my prefered handle of just 'Gog' had become available during the name scrub and it had so I've changed my name!

----------

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 8:03 AM · edited Mon, 21 May 2007 at 8:09 AM
Forum Moderator

Fran on the edge...........sounds like a woman on PMT!  :lol: But I love it!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 9:45 AM

@ Gog: You've changed your name? I've tried it before, posted here asking about it before. How did you manage it?  You still have your posts and date when joined.... how did you do it?

Gog ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 11:29 AM

I did a search on name change here, paid $10 and it was done!

----------

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 1:14 PM

Ouch! Okay, thanks!

Quest ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 4:25 PM · edited Tue, 22 May 2007 at 4:29 PM

Well, I was going to say that my name is simply derived by spelling my on-screen name backwards but no…nothing as dramatic as that. My name was philosophically drawn and no…not from the cartoon series. Simply implying that I’m in constant search for the meaning of life and all things good.

Ang25 ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 6:16 PM

Ummm Gog, you changed your name? what was it before?

donniemc0 ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 6:04 AM

my real name is Blaze Manhattan, but i thought Donniemc0 sounded more mysterious...

Gog ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 4:04 AM

It used to be Gog_CA1, so not that much different, but nice to get rid of the garbage from the end :)

----------

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2007 at 4:55 AM
Forum Moderator

**dashboard_jehova your name reminds me of the song in Cool Hand Luke where he sings "Going ninety I ain't scarey cause I got the Virgin Mary sitting on the dashboard of my car"  Ignore the fact that I sing out of key.

I became UVDan when my former user name of groingrinder was deemed unsuitable for a moderator.

Groingrinder was short for Baron Von Groingrinder which was a character a friend of mine used to do.  He would put on a fake German accent and try to pickup girls pretending to be a confused tourist.

I wanted to get in on the act, but nobody was convinced by my impression of a Japanese tourist.**

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

TCsolar ( ) posted Mon, 28 May 2007 at 4:42 PM

haha alright, mines TCsolar.

from 2001 until 2003 i played a game called Motorcityonline by EA, and my nickname was Solar.

I got that name from a freeware avatarsite, from where the avatar i choosed ( a wizard) was named solar... no clue why, but i thought it was cool and made it my own.

After that, i played a lot of RA2 online, and the clan i was in, had similar initials in front of their own names.... like TCnitrox, TCskidpro, TCmores etc etc....

I joined them, changed the name from solar into TCsolar... and voila

Oh, TC stands for Total Control, wow, i almost feel devine now :)

--- www.brycedownloads.com ---
Free downloads just for bryce
--- www.artartica.net ---
My personal work, right here

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Mon, 28 May 2007 at 9:12 PM

CrazyDawg...its a nick a friend called me one day and it stuck(5 years now) i use it on here because i can't use the old name i had...i bet not many can remember that one.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

matrixmode ( ) posted Mon, 28 May 2007 at 10:24 PM

I remember it!  ;)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Mon, 28 May 2007 at 11:40 PM

Curious, what was the old name, CrazyDawg?

TCsolar ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 5:48 PM

yes, enlighten us :P

--- www.brycedownloads.com ---
Free downloads just for bryce
--- www.artartica.net ---
My personal work, right here

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 9:13 PM

old nick was LunarTick...that came around cause the same friend draws cartoon pictures and did one of a spaced out bug..

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2007 at 7:07 AM · edited Wed, 30 May 2007 at 7:07 AM

I remember that.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

Claymor ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2007 at 11:03 AM

Claymor has been:

• My original Prodigy screen name
  • My on line role playing persona
  • My web design company (Claymor Solutions - solutions from the cutting edge)  :)
  • My alter ego, although those who know both of us say we're not all that "alter"

On the wall of my office there currently hang five different claymores...scottish highland swords...and my sons each have one of their own.

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2007 at 12:23 PM

Clamors are cool. Lots of history in them, and I like that.

Though, all i have on my wall is a lightsaber. Been eyeing a bat'leh for a while.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.