Sun, Sep 22, 11:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Faceshop pro opinions?

methhead ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 7:52 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 11:38 AM

I recently bought this piece of crap program thinking it would be a hoot and a nice addition to my evergrowing rendering software collection. 
1.)  I've seen brownie mix recipes with more detailed instruction than FSpro 3.1.

2.)  Even when I do get it to load my FSpro obj's from poser to FSpro then back to poser it loves to tell me there are 2 many vertices. 

3.)  And even when I accomplish to get past that easy problem, on every single figure these FSpro morph targets get loaded into (in poser 5 or 7 ) no noticeable changes can be seen when increasing the newly loaded morph target freshly loaded after following the faceshop pro's pdf manual on importing into poser.

I been wanting to get ahold of Zew 3D's CLOTHER 1.0, but now I'm afraid of all 3rd party poser software in the $30-$45 range. 

Next someone will tell me that CLOTHER and CLOTHIM are a waste of money too I suppose.....are they?

They seem like they'd be so convienent and rapid at dressing up these figures . are they? 

Tashar59 ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 4:01 AM

Sounds like your not giving the app enough time to generate the texture and morph or the you have not exported the head right.

I have used about 20 different figures and every one of them has worked in P7. I even got it to work with BJD. I got a good animie head for that one. You know what's funny? I didn't read all of the manual. Only the part about needing to export the heads of all your figures if you use Poser and the way it tells you to do this. I don't remember if it states to not export the eyes with the head but all the threads at Daz mention this.

As for clother, never needed it, so I can't have an opinion on it's worth. I do find Faceshop a very handy tool.

Paloth ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 4:49 AM

now I'm afraid of all 3rd party poser software in the $30-$45 range If you spent $30-$45 recently for Faceshop, you probably purchased the version that only works in Daz Studio. The Poser version costs $79.95.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Tashar59 ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 6:38 AM

IBoth versions were on sale for half price. So the pro version was under $40 if bought then.

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 7:10 AM

file_378091.jpg

> Quote - I recently bought this piece of crap program thinking it would be a hoot and a nice addition to my evergrowing rendering software collection.  > 1.)  I've seen brownie mix recipes with more detailed instruction than FSpro 3.1. > > 2.)  Even when I do get it to load my FSpro obj's from poser to FSpro then back to poser it loves to tell me there are 2 many vertices.  > > 3.)  And even when I accomplish to get past that easy problem, on every single figure these FSpro morph targets get loaded into (in poser 5 or 7 ) no noticeable changes can be seen when increasing the newly loaded morph target freshly loaded after following the faceshop pro's pdf manual on importing into poser.

Poser 7 - G2 James - FaceShop Pro.
No Graphics Program used on the Reference Image for FSP to work on.
No Graphics Program used on the Poser 7 Rendered Image.

It will need some cleaning up around the neck and ears though.

Cheers
DR

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 8:47 AM

face shop pro has been well covered with tips and tutorials over in the daz forums. you really should visit them for the most useful information resource.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

methhead ( ) posted Wed, 23 May 2007 at 9:04 PM

Quote - IBoth versions were on sale for half price. So the pro version was under $40 if bought then.

yup yup... what he said right up there.  And you know what I wasnt following the poser export / import to FSP / export to the head of the figure you initially exported as a obj. The vertices problem was me not pushing the button that displays the obj in wireframe form. Evidentally thats the only reason that button is there and me being the brain surgeon probably pushed every single other button except the right one.  

I think CLOTHER looks cool but not for the price if its going to be slapped together like this FSP program.  I mean sure it does some cool stuff but very little in the way of moving ahead in leaps and bounds. More like inch by inch trickin suckers like the grinch. CLOTHER and CLOTHIM looks like they would save alot of time dressing their users figures. Doing away with scrolling through endless folders in poser5,6 and 7. Cuzz I spend alot of time looking for certain props clothes ,ect and 1/2 the time dont find them until a week later when I'm working on another model or scene. Pisses me off.

laslov ( ) posted Sun, 27 May 2007 at 1:53 PM · edited Sun, 27 May 2007 at 1:53 PM

Quote - > Quote - IBoth versions were on sale for half price. So the pro version was under $40 if bought then.

yup yup... what he said right up there.  And you know what I wasnt following the poser export / import to FSP / export to the head of the figure you initially exported as a obj. The vertices problem was me not pushing the button that displays the obj in wireframe form. Evidentally thats the only reason that button is there and me being the brain surgeon probably pushed every single other button except the right one.  

I think CLOTHER looks cool but not for the price if its going to be slapped together like this FSP program.  I mean sure it does some cool stuff but very little in the way of moving ahead in leaps and bounds. More like inch by inch trickin suckers like the grinch. CLOTHER and CLOTHIM looks like they would save alot of time dressing their users figures. Doing away with scrolling through endless folders in poser5,6 and 7. Cuzz I spend alot of time looking for certain props clothes ,ect and 1/2 the time dont find them until a week later when I'm working on another model or scene. Pisses me off.

**Hey Methhead,

Even people who normally are NOT brain-surgeons may be tempted to write a correction/retraction after they find out that they did not read the manual and flamed a program in a nasty way as the result.
A matter of decency...**

bevans84 ( ) posted Mon, 28 May 2007 at 7:47 AM

$30- $45 spent unnecessarily on 3D? :-)  

Not even close. In fact, not even on the same planet.
If only I had....................... :-)

Byrdie ( ) posted Mon, 28 May 2007 at 6:32 PM

file_378734.jpg

Gotta admit, I cussed a few times too my first time using FaceShop Pro. But with advice from all the helpful folks who did get it working -- see the relevant threads over @ Daz -- I soon figured out what I was doing wrong and got results. Some terrific, others very good, and a few I'd like to forget (those were *my* fault).  Practice, practice, practice -- there is no "Make Art" button! Now I can honestly say I'm glad I bought such a useful little tool and I'm eagerly awaiting SR1.

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 2:18 AM

It's a great image Byrdie, but to be fair you should probably mention you used the P7 morph brush quite heavily.

I initially dismissed this program as being completley useless. I've now put a fair amount of time and effort into it (and read a great deal of forum posts in the process) and have come to the conclusion that it's not for me.

The changes to the mesh are far too subtle and the generated textures require a great deal of post-work before they're useable, regardless of source photograph.

There are those people that are bending over backwards for this program, using it in conjunction with other morphs and the morph brush, as well as 'fixing' textures before posting images. While this work flow may be fine for personal projects, it's not really a true indication of what this program alone can do.

No offense to anyone. Just my two cents.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

panko ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 5:57 AM

Must agree here with Claw Shrimp. The program, at its present incarnation, is too basic to be useful. They promised a Service Release though... We shall see...

"That's another fine mess you got me in to!" -- Oliver Hardy

mickmca ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 7:01 AM

If I were going to pony up $30-50, I'd be pulling PhilC's Toolbox into my cart, or finally getting CorrectReference. Face Off Pro looks, sounds, and probably feels and smells like a Face room wannabe with absolutely no distinguishing characteristics... a Mikey Mouse hoping to scam a few bucks from the real franchise. And it has the Face room's limitations -- in other words, the "instant textures" are the only thing that really matches the original head, and they are a mess. Mess, no mesh: what marketing genius! Plagiarism of the godly, spinning the dumbth of others into iron pyrite.

There's another thread that talks about -- and demonstrates -- that the texture's accuracy provides something like 80-90% of the visual cues for a celebrity "head." I don't completely buy that (although I think I suggested it in the first place), because colorless death masks are instantly recognizable. But certainly the "well-hung fruit" ready to be grabbed by a Poser wannabe is accurate textures.
M

Byrdie ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 10:29 AM

Nope, that's pure FaceShop. I don't own Poser 7.  And the only postwork is on the collar of the robe and a touchup to his lips.  Color corrections & poke-through fixes, that's it.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 5:21 PM

This might have something to do with ef. Doesn't Laslov work for them? Director of something?

mickmca, did you buy this or are you just guessing without any real knowledge.

I will agree that it needs an SR or 2 but it does work as any other tool. You need to learn it.

I'm guessing that this is ef's way of getting the face room to work with most other figures and with Daz figures in mind. Also to DS users. Smart when you think about it.

Byrdie ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 5:56 PM

file_378826.jpg

In this instance, I got a very nice morph out of FaceShop. But I'd worked from a photograph that was not, in my opinion, of sufficient quality to get a terrific texture. So I used one of my favorite skins from Jepe's Movie Men. I don't think that makes him unrecognizable ... do you?

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 7:09 PM

My apologies Byrdie. Got my wires crossed.

I was thinking of another post (by someone else) in a previous FaceShop thread.

Would love to see these morphs untextured alongside the unmorphed mesh for a true comparison.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

BastBlack ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 8:26 PM · edited Tue, 29 May 2007 at 8:39 PM

Attached Link: CLICK HERE FOR IMAGE

Here is what I have. I didn't use the FaceShop texture for the head. ![New_Character_Morph_by_bastblack.jpg](http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j252/BastBlack/Best%20of%20Sebin/art/New_Character_Morph_by_bastblack.jpg) The M3 face mrph was created in FaceShop with a blend of 7 heads of the same person, each with a different camera angle. I smoothed out a few rough spots in Blacksmith3d. For extra polish, I added eye and lip morphs. This took me about 2 and half weeks to make in Faceshop, while the character you see in my avatar with Red Hair (who is the same person), took me 8 months to do using only Blacksmith3D. There is a clear advantage to using FaceShop, imho, -- speed. bB

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 8:36 PM

Might just be me but all I see is a red x.

Damn over sensitive work server!

BastBlack ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 8:40 PM

You don't see the image? I updated my post. I included a link. See it now? bB

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Tue, 29 May 2007 at 8:56 PM

Nope. It's me though. My work server blocks just about anything I might find interesting :).

I'll check this out once I get home.

laslov ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2007 at 9:04 PM

Quote - This might have something to do with ef. Doesn't Laslov work for them? Director of something?

mickmca, did you buy this or are you just guessing without any real knowledge.

I will agree that it needs an SR or 2 but it does work as any other tool. You need to learn it.

I'm guessing that this is ef's way of getting the face room to work with most other figures and with Daz figures in mind. Also to DS users. Smart when you think about it.

Good catch. 
Laslov USED to work for ef as the Director of Marketing, but much to his relief left ef several months ago. 
Cheers,
Laslov

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 30 May 2007 at 10:54 PM

LOL. OK, so ef doesn't have anything to do with this product.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.