Sat, Sep 21, 2:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Infrared (IR) Photography Thread

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2007 at 9:13 PM

Hangin up in White Plains NY this week for work....on my break took a couple new IR pix using my G6 and GorillaPod

Joe

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 4:11 AM · edited Tue, 12 June 2007 at 4:15 AM

file_379915.jpg

A couple of pics showing on my modded camera  without an IR filter attached.  Top is with Auto White Balance, bottom with Custom WB. 

Mike

babuci ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 4:59 AM

@ Joe...that cloud turned out in a strange color, I like a trees thou.
@Mike...AWB give a funny color to the leaves and CWB shows not much different in colors from a normal camera captured shot.  Interesting both shot.
Keep post them they so facsinating stuff...thnks

seeyus  Tunde

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 5:43 AM

file_379917.jpg

@Tunde, the greens almost disappear but the blue holds up pretty well.  This is another picture  without a filter and CWB and shows a better idea of what the IR does to the greens.  I noticed the black tree trunks and limbs are still there as in a filtered IR pic. 

babuci ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 7:42 AM

Most fascinating, like a 70% desaturated image... the leafs has a bit of the purple tint now.
Thanks Mike to share your interesting experiment.

seeya  Tunde

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 8:32 AM

Cool stuff Joe, glad to see you getting a little creative me time in there. ;'] Mike, intersting comparisons. I'll have to try shooting without the filter on my newer modded camera and see what results I get. I know that the sensor is get a full blast of both visible and IR/UV light which accounts for that color variation. Thanks for sharing.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 11:30 AM

file_379941.jpg

Okay, here are my results using a camera with the hot mirror removed. Interesting colors, yes? The only postwork was resizing and making everything into one image.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 6:10 PM

Attached Link: Coke trick.

I found this sight, first time I noticed the mention of the trick with Coke, probably just selective reading on my part.  Also some info on UV photography, but its another couple of filters.

@kort, Looks like the fuji and sony sensors work about the same.  Probably come up with some interesting shots without the IR filters. Lots of fun.

Mike

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 9:12 AM

Neat stuff. Intersting link and info Mike, thanks! Heheheh, he forgot to mention how some clothing can look transparent in IR light. ;'P

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 10:06 AM · edited Thu, 14 June 2007 at 10:09 AM

Attached Link: False Color Test

Just keeping track of the IR stuff.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 4:00 PM · edited Thu, 14 June 2007 at 4:04 PM

file_380153.jpg

Playing around some more with false color in using custome WB. I had to do a channel swap of course and this is after some tweaking.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 4:08 PM

file_380155.jpg

And what do you think about this one?

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 5:11 PM

kort The color of the "greens" in the first is pretty wild. lol. And are you running for cover in the second?  Looks like a scene out of Independence Day.

mamabobbijo ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 7:06 PM

I'm with Mike! That second shot looks like something out of a horror movie! I'd be scared to my boots under that sky! Gives new meaning to ," Feet don't fail me now!".
BJ

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 9:23 AM

LOL, no, just your typical stormy South Florida summer afternoon sky! Thanks for your reactions, I just may post that one in my gallery now.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 7:47 PM

Attached Link: photomerge

file_380442.jpg

I was trying my luck with a photomerge similiar to the one in the link and decided to try blending the filtered and unfiltered images.  Came out pretty interesting.  On this I used the Wratten 87 filtered image and applied auto levels in the background layer, then applied the color blending mode to the unfiltered image in layer 1.  Both images were taken with a modded camera (AWB).

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 7:55 PM

file_380443.jpg

In this one I used auto levels and the red/blue channel mix on the filtered image, then used the darkening blend on the unfiltered image.  A nice Florida fall day in June. ![](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 12:21 PM

file_380503.jpg

LOL - luv the fall colors. :) Thanks for sharing. Just playing around - a photo of the giant puddle in front of my house after some heavy rains.

mamabobbijo ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2007 at 6:56 PM

Mike those have an end of the road, tired to the bone feel. I love the reflection Kort.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2007 at 8:34 PM

Hey BJ, like photograph, like photographer...  

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 22 June 2007 at 10:45 AM

Attached Link: IRTIST.com

There is a new community for infrared photographers that was just started. I recommend joining, it could be a great resource and place for fellow IR enthusiasts to share their work and experiences.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 9:49 AM

file_381303.jpg

Just keeping this thread alive...feel free to post some of your IR photos here. This one is a bit unusual for IR due to the low light conditions. It was sunset during stormy weather.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 12:53 PM

file_381323.jpg

LIghts on but nobody's home.  IR LED(on the right) in my water drop sensor.  2 sec exposure.

Another cool stormy weather shot Kort.

Mike

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 12:59 PM · edited Wed, 27 June 2007 at 1:05 PM

file_381324.jpg

VERY neat Mike! You should come share that over at IRTIST.com...we have a thread for unusual IR photos. Here is another stormy night shot, different color scheme.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 27 June 2007 at 2:24 PM

I will put up a different version in the road less traveled.

I saw the crazy blurry car after I viewed it full size.  I been getting lots shots of stormy clouds with this wave coming in from the east.  No rain though. 

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 3:43 PM

file_381663.jpg

Question. Do the power lines ruin this shot. Should I try postworking them out? Should I bother in any event?

babuci ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 3:33 AM

Great stuff guys keep them coming! 
@Kort, for a power line shot...it will sound strange but I more anoyed by a palm leaves in a top corner. I like a tree in a middle and crossed with those black lines. But I am just an audience her.

seeyus  Tunde

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 5:29 AM

file_381728.jpg

Watermelon seeds.  The seeds are black in visible light.  I used a IR led array(940 nm) for lighting.

@Kort, power lines are a distraction to my eye.  I like the bottom third of the image with its shadows and background.  

Mike

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 8:08 AM

file_381731.jpg

Pretty neat seed shot there. Yeah, black reflects IR light quite well it seems. How is this crop?

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 4:38 PM

Anyone every try shooting fireworks in IR? Any ideas if it will work?

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 6:20 PM

file_381766.jpg

Some amazing clouds before a giant thunderstorm rolled in this morning. Do you think it may have gallery potential? (with some editing)

babuci ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 8:24 PM

@Kort...Would be interesting to see how would a fireworks looks like in IR.  All night I was try to find picture on a web...no luck and I run out of patience. Looking Mike's device with a tiny led light  producing white color only so as one of your street shot where a red light is on while the other version has a nice red color light thou. My guess would be it is depending on a post work what a final IR fireworks shot will looks like.( also which filter been used) Hope you will be able to get some shot, that would be realy unique subject.

I have a few question about camera. I am getting closer to get a camera what will be for IR photography only. I like what you do with your DSC p200. I looking your sample shots here some shot made with a wratten 87 filter some with R72. Do you actualy have two  cameras each set up with a different filter? I like a picture which has some false color still...so I have to go alone with a R72. But on the other hand I am sure I will want some nice blueish toned shot too. Is it possible I can have both effect (separet shot) captured with one camera?  Or  false color has to be R72 modded and a one nice overal tone need to be Wratten 87 modded? Is your R72 filter is in a camera or a screw on filter?
Sorry for a so many question I just want to clear it up, make sure I choose wisely and not stuck up with a camera what I am not realy happy with. 
Thanks for the IRTIST link, neat community there, good to see a forum just for IR, very usefull place.

seeya  Tunde

tr4cey ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 11:17 PM

Wowwwwwwwww.... Yep, I asked, I received! Lol... Ok, I should look at forum here more often, these are some awesome shots. I love the watermelon seeds, and the second crop of the tree is better! IMO!!!

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 6:14 AM

Hey Tunde, I use screw in filters(55mm) for my camera and it does gives a lot more options.   I know there are some camera mods that use clear glass to replace the hot mirror but you do end up with the added expense of the external filters.  I have purchased a Hoya R72, Tiffen 87, and a Tiffen hot mirror for a total of about $180(US), but I was crazy enough to do the camera mod myself and saved that expense.  But look what I get, pink watermelon seeds.  I am also thinking about a UV pass filter to see what that produces.

Mike

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 12:27 PM

file_381855.jpg

Bottles of food coloring, all are nearly opaque in visible light.  From left, green, pink, blue, purple.

babuci ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 7:18 PM

LOL...Mike nothing wrong with a pink water melon seeds and a food coloring tubes.  I use a R72 screw on filter at a moment, but I can not have a good quality shot so I that is why I  thinking to get a dedicated IR camera.I might luckier. I checked that Ir community site out...omg some of the picture realy mindblowing and they all use modded cameras. I have not signed up well I have not one acceptable Ir shot to be proud of so I just read and listen.

seeya  Tunde

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 10:33 AM · edited Thu, 05 July 2007 at 10:37 AM

file_381929.jpg

> Quote - @Kort...Would be interesting to see how would a fireworks looks like in IR....Hope you will be able to get some shot, that would be realy unique subject. I have a few question about camera. I am getting closer to get a camera what will be for IR photography only. I like what you do with your DSC p200. I looking your sample shots here some shot made with a wratten 87 filter some with R72. Do you actualy have two  cameras each set up with a different filter? I like a picture which has some false color still...so I have to go alone with a R72. But on the other hand I am sure I will want some nice blueish toned shot too. Is it possible I can have both effect (separet shot) captured with one camera?  Or  false color has to be R72 modded and a one nice overal tone need to be Wratten 87 modded? Is your R72 filter is in a camera or a screw on filter?

Tunde, thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I think I am one of the few to have shot fireworks in IR, though I doubt I am the first. That would be cool though, wouldn't it? ;'] I did get some photos with my modded P200 w. the R72-like filter. (it actually is a B+W 092 which is a little more expensive) Here is a image where I moved the camera, but liked the effect anyway. This color scheme is the result of the red/blue chanel swap in Photoshop. Personally, I would recommend using a Hoya R72 filter or equivalent so that you can get false color images if you desire and the speed is slightly faster. Yes, I have two P200s that I purchased from the same person who did the mods himself. One has the internal Wratten 87 and the other has a ring added to the lens for adding external filters, which has the B+W 092 right now. The Wratten 87 is nice because you get such a strong IR effect, but false color is not possible unless you do it all by hand. You have more versatily with the false color images as you can remove the color and tint them any hue you want. I like the internally modded Wratten 87 one as it looks like a regular camera and is all in one. The B+W 092 one has the filter fitted externally so it looks a bit strange, and you need to remove and replace the lens cap when using. But it also allows you to get any number of fitlers to fit to it so is more versatile in that respect. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. ~Kort

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 10:38 AM

file_381930.jpg

Here is another capture with the 'colour' channels left unswapped.

babuci ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 7:15 PM

@Kort. I am a bit disappointed about IR fireworks. I was waiting some extraordinary colors of shimmery effect. But your red FW looks like a normal shot to me. I was hoping to see something like a blue version, what is not bad at all. Don't get me in a bad way, nothing wrong with a shot but missing that nice hue what other ways we get with IR shots. Did I spoil your day...sorry. But still it is interesting to see.

Thanks to answer my question. Can I upload an original IR what I did with my Canon + R72 IR filter. Which ever way I looking at actualy I have what need to do false color IR but probably I do something wrong with a set up on a camera or post work so my final shot doesn't have a "wow" factor. 
I like to see what you and Mike (he is good too) can do with my shot...if it is possible

thanks again...seeyus  Tunde

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2007 at 8:40 AM

file_382021.jpg

Sure go ahead and upload it. No need to ask permission. And don't worry about offending. Personally I like the IR photos. I am actually surpised at the color variety that did show up, considering most IR shots don't have a very wide range. Remeber, IR is NOT VISIBLE light so you can adjust the hue to whatever you like, like the blue. This is just what the camera captures. When you shoot IR, be sure to get a custom white balance taken from some green foliage.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2007 at 1:23 PM

BTW, my settings on the modded P200 were: 1.6 sec. exposure f/6.3, iso100 focused to infinity -1/3 stop exposure compensation

babuci ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 7:22 AM

file_382109.jpg

Hang onto something here comes my "homework"....LOL Still need some fine tuning but much better then my early work. Problem is I am using a R72 filter what is mean I use long exposure. I love australia but here always windy, even when 50C temperature still a soft breez running everywhere. I know modded camera will cut out a long exp. untill then I have to put up with a fuzzy trees and a washed away clouds. 

Thanks for a help....and keep this tread alive so cool.

seeyus  Tunde

babuci ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 7:22 AM

file_382110.jpg

...more where is a first one came...

babuci ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 7:24 AM

file_382111.jpg

ammm perhaps I run a bit wild with a controls, ...very weird but still IR...I hope

seeya  Tunde

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 8:49 AM

Looks like your gettin that hang of the IR postwork there Tunde!  Cool stuff...especially like the colors in the last image!  If your using Photoshop you can create an action to do the channel mixer (Red/Blue) swap automatically or just save the settings and load then as needed.

Btw...my Canon G6 is finally off to LifePixel to be converted to full time IR....WOOHOO!

L8r!
Joe

babuci ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 5:10 PM

Thanks Joe! I find a last one a bit too out of hand, but iat a same time I like a bold colors. I nearly say it is not IR anymore. I have to wait for my camera to be converted, actually I haven't got one for modding at a moment. I have an available fuji s605 but I don't even bother, not suitable, very limited options to tweek on. I am on a hunt for a dsc P200 but got a nice price tag on it unless somebody has a secondhand one but doubt it. so I have to ask santa again...not far 5 1/2 months...lol

Make sure show the new pictures pls with a G6 when is coming back. What type of filter  you ganna have in? ( amm, perhaps they not call it filter I have to get learn those tech names)

seeya  Tunde

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 12:34 PM

file_382375.jpg

Good for you Joe. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it upon it's return. Will it be a full time conversion or on of their mixed offerings? Nice work Tunde, thanks for sharing. I agree that that last on is special, neat mood there. I like the contrast between the moving and stationary objects in long exposure IR shots. Filter is the right term, hehehe.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 1:32 PM

file_382377.jpg

"You are not ready for IR Grasshopper." - Master MMM.  

R72, 1/110, f2.9, iso 100  Auto levels then a bit more level tweeking.

Hey Tunde, they all look IR enough for me.  Really like the subjects.  I liked the last one also, but I prefer red tinted folliage over the blue.   I didnt realize how much wind we had in Florida until I first tried long exposure IR.

Mike

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 1:45 PM

file_382391.jpg

Fabulous image of that hopper there Mike. Looks like some of the detail is gone though, did you use noise removal? Still a great shot. Wind = why it is good to get a converted IR camera.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 8:56 PM

Kort, neatimage, full strength.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.