Sat, Oct 5, 7:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 1:56 pm)

Subject: Best Video Cards for D|S?

arcas ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2007 at 6:45 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 7:19 AM

I'm finally to the point of buying (any second now!) a video card to support my D|S work. I'd like to know what others have been using and/or can recommend. It's come up again and again that the latest and greatest isn't necessary to get great D|S performance so I'm looking for the most cost effective solution w/ sacrificing "real" D|S performance.

I'm on a 3Ghz P4 PC with two open PCI express slots.

I also have two related questions. First, will the onboard memory help renders at all or just scene navigation? Second, how does a higher version of Open GL support factor into the equation (say 1.4 vs. 2)?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/insight you can provide.

archdruid ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2007 at 11:47 AM

The main thing that seems to be "universal", is that whatever you get needs to be very, very Open GL oriented. After that.... well.... mostly NVidia based, though some  are having  reasonable luck with ATI, lately.  Vid-card / renders... well, the vid-card only handles , so to speak, what is on your monitor... renders are RAM  and CPU intensive.... how much, and how fast, govern how soon you complete a render... One thing to consider before you go haring off to buy a dual dual-core motherboard... there are STILL a major number of applications that can't work with dual-core, let alone a dual CPU. The pain in the fundament is that, no dual core = nothing over 2 GIG of RAM. Lovely catch-22, that. Lou.

"..... and that was when things got interestiing."

SophiD ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2007 at 11:28 AM

go for an Nvidia card
if pci expres slot is available go for FX7950GS/GT with 256MB . This is the one i currently have (upgraded from an overheating FX6800 256MB) and I'm very happy with it.
always make sure you have the latest drivers installed.

Pneuma ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2007 at 10:28 AM

I have a 7600GT(pcie), and before that a 7800GSOC 

(agp) both worked very well.

rebuilder ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2007 at 1:59 PM

Hmmm, not having any problems with my ATI Radeon X1900XT 512M

Cheers

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Tue, 26 June 2007 at 5:46 PM

I have Intel Extreme..seems to work ok for me, but Id rather get a Nvidia :)

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

equan ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 9:33 AM

I'm using an old ATI 9600 AIW, and no problems so far. Of course i had to get the latest drivers for it. I'm hearing all the rage about NVidia. I might check it out. My mobo doesn't support PCI Express so i'm relegated to using AGP. What's the best one by NVidia?

Orchid_Noir ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 12:55 PM

I have used nothing but ATI Radeons with it and never had any issues other than I currenlty have a base (Radeon xpress 200) model and it doesn't display as many lights as I would like in the preview, and that is an issue with it being a low end (bottom end? lol ) card.

Want a shirt?

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 1:57 PM

If you have 8 lights that's as many as you're going to get without a workstation card, I think.

Orchid_Noir ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 4:06 PM

This one gives me five lights... on a good day, usually four (don't ask me why the variation). :)

It's no big deal for me, that's what spot preview renders are for, that and learning the lights.

I thank you greatly for that pearl of wisdom though, I have a feeling that I'm one that would have been beating my head against that wall come time to get a new card. lol

Want a shirt?

Morgan_Welborn ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 3:18 PM

I just got a BioStar GeForce V8502GT51 512MB, it's works really really fast with hardware renders, and its $100. Make sure you get RivaTuner to set the openGL back to 2.0 though.

OOMShifter ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 4:13 PM

I roll with a Radeon 1650X, and it works out really well.

greywolfe1960 ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2007 at 2:44 AM

I've got an ATI X1650 512Mb and it works great with DAZ|Studio.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Web site: http://screamingidjit.com/

Kunshouling ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 9:44 AM

Nvidia gforce 7600gt * 2 in SLi.......Super quick!

waningmoon ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 12:07 AM

i run a BFGtech 7900GT oc model, however that is probably overpowered for what is needed.

for PCI-E

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

for AGP

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

those 2 wouldn't be bad choices for the dollar. keep in mind more videopower will also draw more power, make sure your power supply delivers adequate power for the cards.

best of luck with your decision.

regards,

waningmoon

MOROLEN ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2007 at 1:52 PM

as a gamer first and only just learning daz, im quite happy with my xfx 8800gts 640mb, maybe ill get a 2nd for sli eventully but not being able to use my dual monitors would be a pain...

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2007 at 9:45 PM

I upgraded my gfx card from the ATI radeon 9600 to the X800GTO 256MB/256bit, even though the radeon served me well over the past few years with D|S and other apps i find that the X800GTO is much better. I also found that the price on the X800GTO was far better than getting a replacement radeon 9600..It cost me around $120AUD including postage..9600 would have been few dollars less but its an old card.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.