Mon, Oct 21, 10:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: How is Vue 6 infinite update 10 going??

Lyne ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 9:56 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:38 PM

I just tried again with my vue 6. 5 to do a sunset with ONE simple figure and again that figure comes in SO DENSE red wire frame mesh and takes forever to update the windows as I try and position it...

So I RAN to Vue 5 and am happily working with not only that human figure but 3 dolphins, flying gulls, pretty sky etc.... so EASY!

So... was kinda wondering if the 10 build for 6 Infinite has made any progress in the memory handling area... OR if my machine that LOVES vue 5 is just never going to work for vue 6?  I will be glad to update it but have not when I read up on how it did not seem to help the "memory issues"....

I am not going to list again, what my machine is... last time, I talked about this I DID update my video card...and my son put in TWO GIGS of fresh new ram that made my vue  happier than it ever was (and that was pretty happy even with a ram chip going bad!)

Thanks for any help and I will post my vue FIVE art when it is done...

Lyne

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

nahie ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 11:27 PM

The latest update seems to be working much better for me. When Vue 6 final first came out, I had the same problem you describe. Scenes that loaded just fine in 5 couldn't even load in 6. Now I get much better performance out of 6, and I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I'm on XP64 and running Vue x64. I have 6 gig RAM in this machine and Vue can use more of it without crashing (well, it can use about 2 gb instead of the 1.3 vue 5 could use before crashing).

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 1:24 AM

It's better but still has major problems with the Poser Shader Tree. If you don't use the shaders it's pretty much ok but I do so I'm still not happy and from e-on's latest response to a support ticket, it's just tough! That's how it is they said basically and it doesn't sound like they are going to do any more about it!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 4:14 AM · edited Tue, 03 July 2007 at 4:16 AM

Latest update is very stable, I haven't had any crash so far. The Poser import is still not 100% fixed if you use Poser7. I still use P6, and no problem with props, they load normally. I don't use the poser shader tree option, so it's working real good for me. Memory wise, Poser imports are still very heavy on resources, but disabling the background draw thread helps working normally on a scene. I had problems the other day bringing in a G2 figure with dynamic hair, had to work in wireframe to get some response from the interface. That said, the import with dyn hair was 1.2 million polys.
So it's not perfect, but it's the best update so far, and they fixed many bugs.
But if you're on mac, there is a serious slowdown when rendering. By serious I mean up to 4 times slower than previous built. Only on mac. PC is fine.

Tomsde ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 9:27 AM

I have Vue 5 Infinite and just recently reinstalled my operating system with Vista Ultimate Edition.  I really didn't want to reinstall Poser 6.  I was going to upgrade, but I think I want to wait until more of the Vue 6 bugs are ironed out.  I take it that Vue 5 will never be updated to accept Poser 7 imports.  Have any of you had good results exporting the Poser figures as another format like .obj or .3ds?  

In the past it seemed whenever I imported a Poser figure Vue would end up crashing at some point.  I have a decent system with 2.4 gig Core 2 Duo processor, 512 meg ram Radeon, ATI Video card, and 2 gigabytes of ram.  Do you think alternative format import would help prevent crashes?

Lyne ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 12:01 PM

THANKS for the info, think I will pass... seems the THING is to have a 64 bit machine...so I think vue just passed me up and I will just un-install it... my vue 5 Infinite and my Poser 6.3 are working GREAT....

I use older programs that need/like 32 bit...and don't use shaders..in fact so far the only thing about 6 was the "even more real atmosphers" and clouds (I never got the eco-painting things to work with my dyslexic brain unfortunatly)...so guess it was a waste of $$ for me... 

BUT I ADMIT - IT IS MY OWN FAULT for not reading the requirements for this software...I normally do not get so excited I buy any software in PRE final version...I normally wait (really!) 1-2 years... oh well... sigh... at least I have it for IF AND WHEN I go to 64 bit... 

Again, thanks for taking the time for me!!

Lyne

BernieStafford ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 12:45 PM

Lyne,

It is most emphatically NOT necessary to be running 64 bit in order to use Vue 6.

I am running V6 Infinite build 291050 on an Athlon 3000XP with 1.5 gig ram using XP SP2.

I use Poser 6, however I don't use the Poser shader trees as they are a known resource hog.  I also don't use re-posing within Vue for the same reason.

Yes, it slows down somewhat occasionally, but I can live with that if in exchange I can use spectral atmospheres & clouds, painting with eco-systems, displacement materials, greatly improved rendering engine etc etc.
It is a great improvement on V5, and more than worth the effort to get it running in a stable fashion - IMHO!!!!!  :-)

Bernie

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 12:57 PM

Agree with Bernie, Lyne, you don't need a 64bit system to run Vue6, I run it in XP SP2 32bits with 2 gigs of ram. Without using the Poser shader tree and reposing, no problem.

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 1:39 PM

Yea I also agree with both, despite the remaining shader tree issues I would still readily recommend Vue6Inf as an really good buy!

The shader tree should never have been used if they can't get it to work right IMO, you shouldn't advertise a product in this way if you need the equivalent of "deep blue" to run it!
Oh and incidentally I never use reposing either, the shader tree gives me enough problems thank you!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

RonGC ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 2:35 PM

On the Mac side i like it, i don't seem to find this major slow down in rendering that was mentioned. The computer im using with Vue6 infinite is just a G4 1.25 with 1,25 Gig ram, nothing super computerish, but works fine. I am going to eventually install Vue onto one of my MacIntel's and see what happens there. But seeing as im still learning Vue, my main app is lightwave, there is no rush. Ron

iloco ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 4:20 PM

I am still having resource issues with my system and Vue 6 inf.  Sluggish if I load many large vob's.
  I still think Vue 5 is more snappier than Vue 6 but it don't have the added attractions like spectral atmos and paint tools and a few more that is with it.

Still bugs that need to be fixed but I think tech is working on them or at least the ones I have reported.  About the shaders I think if they advertise them to work they should work for people like thefixer who uses that part of vue 6. Don't put a feature in a product if its not going to work.

I am in the process of building a high end machine (AT least it will be for me) with dual core 2.44 ghtz Intel processors and a 512 mb viedo card. Will have 4 gig of Ram using Windows XP Pro 32 bit.   Not going to 64 bit untill they get it all straightened out with drivers.  Might dual boot later if needed. :)

Will be able to tell if the higher end machine works better with Vue once I get it all together in about a week. :)   I am very curious to see the results........:)

ïÏøçö

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 4:25 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

@Iloco:  I'm also thinking the only way to get the functionality I want is to upgrade my machine, didn't really want to do that just yet but I might have to!

I'll be looking for a 64 bit though, prolly a E6700 and shit loads of RAM, likely go for 8 Gig just to be safe! [LOL] and an Nvidia card [Quadro FX, one of only 2 at the moment that can run DirectX10].
It's gonna be shit loads of cash though, cash i don't have right now!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

iloco ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 4:49 PM

I am going with the E6600 because its 100 dollars cheaper and from what I have read on various foriums the e6700 dont show that much of a performance increase.
 Be sure and get a Mother Board that will handle quad 4 so if later you want to upgrade to it you will be ready.   I am going with Asus commando that keenart suggested because of this reason.
 He has been a big help for me picking what I think will be a good computer. :)

Something I didnt know is you got to be sure and get a power supply that has enough output on the 12v rail to support a Viedo Card.
  To many problems with drivers for me to go with 64 bit right now but may later if 3rd partys get drivers out for it. :)
  I am hoping I see a big improvement when using Vue 6 with the setup I am getting ready to build. :)

ïÏøçö

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 5:41 PM

Great news, iloco! I'm sure you will see a big difference with a dual core CPU and more ram. Happened to me last xmas, and it's amazing. As for 64bit, I bought XP64, and haven't been able to install it on a dual boot, I' pretty gutted I spent 180€ on a program I can't use. Bet the poser shader tree isn't a problem with a 64bit system and 4gigs of ram!

keenart ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 6:24 PM

thefixer,

Right now Nvidia is having lots of troubles with drivers and memory issues with the 8800 series cards.  Check out the NVidia Forum for more details.

bruno021,

Sell it, get your bucks back. 

jankeen.com

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 6:27 PM

Too late.

eldritch48 ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2007 at 6:45 PM

I'm not noticing any slow down on a mac either, although I get more crashes with this version than I did with the pre-release.  That being said, poser imports work much better, as does resource management, so I just remember to save frequently and so far I've been ok.

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 1:32 AM

keenart: I was thinking of the FX5600, is that one ok??

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

keenart ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 4:51 AM · edited Wed, 04 July 2007 at 4:53 AM

They have a game list that you might want to go through and see it one of your favorites is on it. http://www.nzone.com/page/nzone_section_community.html

There are two English versions of the card drivers, one for English and one for International English for the 32 and 64 bit.

I can’t say how it would work on your system, but I had an FX card and it was a solid performer. As a second thought, better check with e-On to see if this card is on the supported video card list, just to be safe.

jankeen.com

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 6:56 AM

eldritch48 the slowdown on the mac is at rendering. even previews render slower, and bigger pictures become almost impossible. Have you not got that problem? Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

keenart ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 11:33 AM

I have the slowdown on the PC, and after some experimentation, I found that normal scenes without lights, render fine. Just as soon as I add a light the rendering time almost doubles, and more each time I add another light. 

As an example I have a scene that has 165 objects and render in 3 hours at Broadcast, but when I add the 25 lights I need for the scene, the render times goes to 350 hours???? I gave up after a couple of days of rendering.  The same scene on Vue 5 only takes 10 hours?????

jankeen.com

RonGC ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 1:18 PM

For some reason my Mac renders about as fast in Vue6i as it did in Vue5i, radiosity does lengthen the render process, but that is the same in any 3d app, due to heavy calculations. But there are many variables to take in account when setting up your scenes to render, by being judicious with settings and not going overboard or blindly accepting defaults you can optimize your render times. By playing with these settngs in both Vue and LW i have been able to reduce render times from hours to minutes. Radiosity is a real time stealer and needs to be set differently for each individual scene, one size does not fit all LOL. That said Vue has a much slower render engine than Lightwave. Ron

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 7:44 PM

this was the answer from eon that i got about it on 21/6/07 as u can see he was a bit optimisticabout when the fix would be out "Indeed, we have just located the source of the problem, introduced by a multithreading crash fix for polygonal objects rendering. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience, we are currently fixing it and hope to release an update next week to sort things out. Thank you very much for your understanding. Best regards. John Canver"

RonGC ( ) posted Wed, 04 July 2007 at 9:02 PM

At least you got a reply LOL. Ron

svdl ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 5:12 AM

Vue 6 Inf update 10, WinXP 64 bit, Intel Q6600 quad core, Intel P965 mainboard, 8 GB DDR2-667, nVidia 7800GTX.

No driver problems at all. V6Inf renders relatively fast (somewhat faster than V5Inf, which also runs fine on this rig) and can render scenes that are far too complex for 32 bit. My latest render (will be uploaded tonight) used 7 GB of RAM. Two dozen Poser figures, 15 lights, quite a few of them volumetric, some dispalcement materials, AO atmosphere. Render time 30 hours, user settings (better quality than Final).

In short, I'm happy with this setup.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 5:17 AM

ooh svdl you have a happy vue setup! You are so lucky (or maybe very clever or both). can you render larger than the click on/checkbox settings at 300 dpi? love esther

svdl ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 5:30 AM

I usually render to 2400x1800, but I leave the dpi settings alone.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 5:36 AM

great. well there's hope for a happy vue for everyone one day - you have shown the light at the end of the tunnel love esther

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 9:46 AM

svdl: QuoteIn short, I'm happy with this setup.
So would I probably if I had as much RAM as that!! You have to remember most of us poor people are only using 2 Gig which clearly isn't going to be enough for what I want!!
Time to upgrade my 'puter again!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 8:15 PM

lucky ram is getting cheaper

svdl ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2007 at 9:50 PM

DDR2 isn't that expensive anymore, that's correct. I paid € 50 per Gb including VAT.

kore21 ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 8:51 PM

i uninstalled the latest update for this reason: moving objects in increments using shift/arrow seems to be broken. i use this a lot, like when you drop a terrain & it buries itself wrong, or you work on the terrain some more & it ends up similarily repositioned, so then you have to put it back. the shift arrow thing no longer works & hand-dragging the terrain or ground is a nuisance. what the shift arrow thing does now is just flip thru the object menu. 

i tried cancelling the update. this did not work, it claimed something got corrupted, the version name was still there & the problem as well. ended up reinstalling during the wee hours.

Lyne ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 6:42 PM

I came back to read what had gone on since I got my answer...or thought I did.... seems a lot of happy MAC vue users here.... and the only thing (if not the 32-64 bit issue) would be my video card... and I think as said in another post I was talking about this in, if my video card (especially updated! - I did that) LOVES vue 5 and I can import a lot of poser characters and MOVE THE AROUND WITH EASE AND VERY FAST UP DATE ...SO FAST IT IS NOT EVEN AN UPDATE OF THE 4 WINDOW VIEW.... then why would my video card not work in vue 6? I have a HIGH END video card and will not buy a new card JUST for vue 6...sorry can't afford that. 

Imports of even ONE object - one person, no texture on them into vue 6 IN WIRE FRAME with ALL background draw, open GL etc. TURNED OFF - I get the oddest HEAVY DENSE RED MESH LINED figure that I can hardly drag around in one window at all! I know how to turn off EVERYTHING that would slow things down, and I have had this trouble since the start... 

Sooooo if Vue 6 is video card chip specific, that does not seem fair?  Why would this be the case?

I took vue 6 off my machine and am back to RELAXING in vue 5 (except when I want to make an eco-system and adding one bush to my grove of big trees reduces ALL vegitation to MINUTE size and I have to go back to hand placing veg stuff for the most part....erg!) and will just forget about vue 6... 

I will resubscribe to this thread in case there are some replies or ideas.... but as I said, I don't hold out much hope. Sorry I did not do a screen shot of my vue 6 "wire frame" human....just think if you had mesh that was normal and in a model program told it to get really really DENSE and that is what my vue 6 WIRE FRAME has looked like since I ever installed it!   ?   I did write to tech and described all this but of course never got any reply or questions.

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 7:26 PM

i wrote to tech support last night and they answered within an hour saying an update will be out very soon and will help with several problems love esther

Lyne ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 7:40 PM

Did they say what problems? I hope the BIG one! ;)

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 7:43 PM

we only discussed 3 (slow rendering on mac, crashing with standalone at high res, and crashing with textures being changed from a file) but they said several, and very soon.

Tomsde ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 8:31 PM

I've decided not to upgrade right now until these Poser issues are resolved,  I've only scratched the surface of using Vue 5 Infinite anyhow.  Even with that and a decent system I still had many crashes, I'm going to try to convert my Poser figures to VOB file format in the future (when I get my computer back from having Vista Ultimate Edition uninstalled--a big mistake and waste of money right now until all it's bugs are ironed out).  Thanks to everyone on the forums for helping decide and save much needed cash!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.