Mon, Sep 9, 5:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Runtime Division?

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sat, 30 June 2007 at 12:31 PM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 3:04 AM

file_381508.jpg

I think I've done a good job organizing, my external runtime, by figure.  Unfortunately the masses have spoken;  Poser loads with it's default runtime in about 1 minute, but with this external runtime Poser takes about 5 minutes.  So, I think it's time to put each figure into it's own runtime.

The hardest part will be the separating the Textures, and Geometries, folders; respectively.  The other folders have already been carefully renamed, on installation.

The main tool I'm hoping will do the job is Senosoft's Free version of P3DO Explorer 1.9.2; with it's now free AWK plugin.

Here I am having clicked the thumbnail for my Favorite V3 MAT file.  As you can see P3DO Explorer's In Depth Panel has already listed the names of the Texture files associated with the MAT!  By RIght-Clicking on one of the Texture Files, and Left-Clicking AWK, I can even see the actual path of that Texture file!

Hopefully that is not all that AWK can do.  My next step would be to move the MAT file, and all of it's associated Texture files, from this Runtime to another.  I realize this wouldn't be very easy, because the Texture files will need to keep their Path, through to the new Runtime; but I'm not really sure how P3DO Explorer would do that. 

Does anyone know how this can be done?  Or, moreover, how it could be done with multiple MAT files, at one time?  I'll need to do about the same thing with the Characters/Props and their Geomtries files.

The only other tool, I think, would do the job is Pboost II by Hogsoft; but this isn't free.  And I'm yet to find a tutorial to prove this would even be at all possible?

kalon ( ) posted Sat, 30 June 2007 at 12:57 PM · edited Sat, 30 June 2007 at 12:57 PM

Well I use P3DO, but the best use I get out of it is to see what I'm working with. I haven't found it particularly helpful in runtime re-arrangement, though it is of enormous help with runtime management.

I got Hogsoft's CRPro II and I believe this will do what we want it to do. It is not free, though I think there is a lighter free version - Correct Reference. I'm not sure if Correct Reference has the ability to move/rename. My mistake was in attempting to rearrange *before I'd run CRPro II.

There appears to be a function to move/rename a file and re-point all of its references. As I said, having goofed, I'm largely straightening out my files by hand (an extremely tedious process). But when I'm done, I intend to keep everything straight with CRPro.

kalonart.com

Dizzi ( ) posted Sat, 30 June 2007 at 3:16 PM

Why not just use an external browser for loading content from your runtimes? That way you can always keep an empty runtime loaded in Poser and don't have to bother with the loading time for runtimes?

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sat, 30 June 2007 at 6:54 PM

Thank you Kalon!  If you can figure out how CRProII could, would you post a screenshot?

DIzzi - That would make me DIzzi(Ba-dump-bump.)  Seriouslty, I think.., I know what you mean.  I think you mean just copy stuff, with WIndows Explrorer; from my External, to the Poser Instalation Runtime?  I know that would let Poser load light and fast, but be too much bother for me.  Anytime I have to go looking for; a camera preset(per figure,) poses(ditto,) or anything else, I wish I just had a Runtime for the Character Study I'm working on.  Was I right?

kalon ( ) posted Sat, 30 June 2007 at 7:03 PM

I think Dizzi is recommending the Advanced Library. The Link is in his signature.

It may be some while before I get to the scanning of my runtime to use CRPro, but if you're still interested, I'll post a screenshot.

kalonart.com

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sat, 30 June 2007 at 7:21 PM

Yes, thanks Kalon!  I've waited months to do this, and my new PC wo'nt be finished until, Mid-Lat summer.  So there isno rush here either.  Please feel free to revist this thread anytime!  AN thanks for pointing Dizzi's link out!

Dizzi - I visited your link, but I'm not sure how it could be easier than using Poser's Library system.  Even switching between several Runtimes would seem to be quicker, what is it I am am missing, how does it work?

hogwarden ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 3:50 PM

file_382401.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up, Angel...

CRPro II has the facility to move tracts of content and dependant files to another runtime. It even checks to make sure that textures and geometries are not used elsewhere before moving them! If textures or geometries are used by other content they are copied instead. This works through the Content and Dependancies tool.......

Usually, you would use CRPro to scan through content files fixing incorrect references and various syntax issues. However, the Content and Dependencies tool allows you to perform a special content scan where it gathers information about the content and all dependant files. Then you simply select the content files (as shown in the image) and hit the "Copy or move check-marked content and dependencies" toolbutton. From here, you can also create a zip file of the content if you wish:)

I'll post another pic.....

Howard:)

hogwarden ( ) posted Mon, 09 July 2007 at 3:55 PM

file_382402.jpg

Here's the window that pops up..... It shows graphically the content , geometries and textures and how they fit into the folder structure. You can choose the new runtime, to move the content to, in the other tab.

Hope this is clear!!!

Coincidentally, I'm just working on a quick patch to fix a bug so anyone purchasing CRPro II right now should e-mail me for the patch!!!!!

R_Hatch ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 12:16 AM

With respect to Ian Curtis, et all:

With runtimes big in size
And harddrive space is low
And partitioning is nigh
But where do the OBJ files go?
And we're changing our ways
Taking different roads
Then bugs, bugs will tear us apart again

Is Posette too old?
V3 is no prize bride
Is Judy's face that odd?
Miki might even cry
Yet there's still this appeal
That we've kept through our lives
But bugs, bugs will tear us apart again

You cry out in your sleep
All my figures are unposed!
A magnet or a morph?
As desperation takes hold
Just that something so good
Just can't function no more
When bugs, bugs will tear us apart again

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 3:16 AM · edited Tue, 10 July 2007 at 3:17 AM

:biggrin: Thank you hogwarden; for replying to my message!

😄 It is nice to know there, CRPro II Full version, is a solution:

How many steps are involved, to copy that whole 388MB V3MATs folder; out to a new, empty, runtime?

How long would the process run, on which machine?

"the Content and Dependencies tool allows you to perform a special content scan "

How are the directories to be scanned set?  Could I scan one library at a time, or the whole runtime too? 

I'm thinking your first image would have a lot of results, for me; is there a Check All feature there?

R_Hatch - Who is Ian Curtis?

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 3:41 AM

Quote - How many steps are involved, to copy that whole 388MB V3MATs folder; out to a new, empty, runtime?

I have never used that program, but from the looks of the log, it doesn't seem to physically move anything. To me it looks like it is just changing the reference location of the textures, not physically moving anything.  So that means you still have to hunt and peck through the folders to physically move them yourself?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

R_Hatch ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 3:59 AM

WikiPedia:
Ian
Kevin Curtis (July 15, 1956 – May 18, 1980) was the vocalist, lyricist and occasional guitarist and keyboardist of the band Joy Division.

When I saw your topic title, I immediately got the mental picture of James and Simon dressed all in black singing depressing New Wave songs. That was my Poser-ized version of Joy Division's most famous hit "Love Will Tear Us Apart".

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 11:31 AM · edited Tue, 10 July 2007 at 11:45 AM

:biggrin: Acadia - Thank you, for Clarification.  

FYI - I think witha task such as this, that Copy would be the Opperative word here; I would'nt go at that many GBs, with my Move command, first.  I'd make the new runtime, and try it for a while(at as many Boot Letters) before I pulled this Master Runtime, from it's current RAID-1 array.

Hogwarded mentioned:

*"...scan where it gathers information about the content and all dependant files. Then you simply select the content files (as shown in the image) and hit the "Copy or move check-marked content and dependencies" toolbutton. "   *

:ohmy: I was hoping hogwarden meant Copy; hopefully he will surf by here again soon?

😄 Thank you again, for your question.

:lol: Hogwarden - I should think this is a very propular, bt complicated task, for your customers!  Do we have a Graphic Tutorial explaining how this is performed?

hogwarden ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 6:53 PM

Attached Link: CRPro II Copy and Move Content Tutorial

CRPro has many, many cards up it's sleeve! It is most commonly used to scan and repair bad references, but the Content and Dependencies Tool allows you to copy or move content (together with all the referenced files) and make content zip packages.

I've made a quick tutorial to show how to do this... I've gone into a lot of detail, but I'm sure you'll all see it's really just a couple of easy steps.

Hope this helps!!

hogwarden ( ) posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 7:04 PM · edited Tue, 10 July 2007 at 7:05 PM

PS. FYI I have just tested this for speed by a trial copy of my old P5 characters library (165MB of library files, in total 314MB of files including referenced files) with CRPro. That includes performing the special scan and carrying out the copy operation in the C ''n' D tool as shown in the tutorial.

Completed in in 3 minutes flat... So soesn't take long!

Athlon 2Ghz 1GB RAM XP Pro

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Wed, 11 July 2007 at 1:58 AM

Dear Hogwarden,

Super, that is a great tutorial, thanks!

You're on my Wishlist, but hopefully not for long!

Sincerely,

Angel~

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.