Sun, Sep 22, 6:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Night photography... any tips?

muse27 ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2007 at 3:56 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:19 AM

I just started an interest in night time photography, just to see what I can do. I want to take pictures of plants and flowers mostly, along with night skies. Does anyone have tips they can share with me on this subject? I have a "point and shoot" digital camera, and no attaching lenses. 

Thanks for your time,
~ Row.

PeeWee05 ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2007 at 4:40 AM

First essential item, I tripod, don't even think about shooting without one.

Next don't use too long a shutter speed as it can blur/soften the image out.

If you want to illumanate your flowers rather set up your tripod and use a flash light to illuminate sections of the flower/plant.

And definetly use timer mode if you can't get a shutter cord as to illiminate hand shake motion.

If you would like to ask more specific questions I'm sure many of us can answer and help.

Rights Come With Responsibilities VAMP'hotography Website VAMP'hotography Blog

cbender ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2007 at 10:25 AM

oh well...   and don't use high ISO...  the noise will be too strong...
best here is still the old analog stuff... where you really can avoid noise or blooming or other stuff implicated by the physical set up of a sensor used in a digicam or dslr

PeeWee05 ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2007 at 11:00 AM

I find my night stuff is fine in terms of noise. And then again I do shoot on ISO100 as you mentioned, good point.

Rights Come With Responsibilities VAMP'hotography Website VAMP'hotography Blog

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 2:41 PM

Attached Link: Links to Tips

What they said, and all the stuff you can read from this Google search...

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

short_ribs ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2007 at 3:51 AM

I'm pretty late to this one but oh well the one thing I noticed with the bit of night photography I've done is that try shoot with overcast nights cause if you're in a city or anything it lights up the sky and helps add interest to it all so it wont be just this ugly black void... good advice from the others there...

I payed to get myself into an institution :m_tear: Check out my temporary site: APACHA

olivier158 ( ) posted Fri, 03 August 2007 at 11:00 AM

If you are working with long pose (like more than 5 seconds), try to use a simple lamp (LED) to illumine some parts (of full parts) of proxy objects like flowers.
The result is really fantastic, but the approach is really difficult and need a very fine personal feeling of the light, and many many many tries.

of course tripod, 100 iso max, prefer long pose to discover very fine and suprising colors.
Use of a remote control (or the 'reverse timer' ? i don't know the word in english -> retardateur) is really important ! the tripod is not enough.

hope this help!
Olivier

jocko500 ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2007 at 10:05 PM

I got a point and shoot too. Can not set the speed of the len or the iso too. All I got is a tripod and two night setting that all. On one I can not have the flash on the second one the flash will go on then the camera will take the photo. It like a delay so the lighting will be low still. I got a shot in my gallery from yesterday that shows this I took two shots with the flash on in the second night setting that will let the flash goes on then the delay of the camera getting the image. I then had the setting on normal in my thrid shot in the image I uploaded yesterday. I had no tripod. But I was not takeing photo of a flower then. On a flower I would use a tripod. On people like I did yesterday no. I wish for the movement then as I pan the canera with the people. 
all last week I uploaded image with night shots on. My camera is there and the setting for the camera is there. Got no control with them in a point and shoot like these other people with dsl cameras do. Wish I had I one lol.  

what you see is not what you know; it in your face

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.