Fri, Sep 20, 3:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: How do you organize your runtime?

asrailight ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 4:44 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:43 AM

My runtime folder has finally gotten to the point where I have so many items with random names and directories, that it takes a minute or two just to find what I'm looking for (I'm sure you've been there before). So, how do you organize your runtime folders? I know you can't simply rename folders and put items where you like them (learned that lesson the hard way), so is there a utility that you use to categorize your files? A trick to creating customized directories? What can you share with me to make my creative process less of a headache?  :)

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 5:05 PM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3004299&ebot_calc_page#message_3004299

There's a number of really good threads on this topic, if you click on seach (near the top of the page) and use 'organize runtime' as keywords.  HTH

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 5:09 PM

I use external runtimes - now on an external hard drive. I have them seperated by Miki 1, Miki 2, kids, V4, furniture and props, and some by merchants like D and M who I have a lot of stuff. Also I have a hair runtime., etc. It really helps, but is time consuming setting up.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 6:34 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2704637&page=1#message_3024920

You can see that thread for a post I made on how I organize my Poser content. I use multiple, external runtimes.  Don't get confused by the term "multiple" and "external". A runtime is a runtime is a runtime no matter where it sits on your hard drive.  I have to say that because I was trying to teach a friend about multiple external runtimes and it took me 5 months before the bell finally rang for her!  LOL  She tends to over think things and thought that "multiple external runtimes" were different than the standard Poser runtime, but they aren't. The only difference between them and the Poser runtime is that an external runtime sits outside of the Poser folder somewhere else on your hard drive. They all work in exactly the same manner.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 6:55 PM

One thing to keep in mind if you have extra hard drive space...like some day you will upgrade your computer also....what you think looks good today as far as subdivisons...by adding new content, and the high number of quality freebees being made available, crossdresser, wardrobe wizard, shoe converter, etal...your runtimes is going to contine to grow and grow. Example I started with a runtime called plants and trees and put everything in their respective folders. Now inside either the figure or props folders I have broken it down further to ground cover, shrubs, flowers, potted flowers and trees. Shoot I have V3's clothes broken down to sub folders of office wear, period gowns, dresses, skirts and top sets, pants and top sets, uniforms, lingerie, swimwear, coats, shoes and boots...but now that might not be enough, as a couple of them are getting a little crowded. Other then the geometry and textures folders, don't be afraid to rename any file or folder in the library directory so it has a logical name that means something to you.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 6:56 PM

Me, I just throw everything in there and let them fight it out.

OK, I'm lying.  Subfolders. Lots and lots of subfolders.  My workflow is such that it's counterproductive to have lots of Runtimes so I arrange everything within categories in one single, huge great big Runtime.

It takes about 397 years for me to load Poser but once it's up there it's like greased lightning.  And I can find everything.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2007 at 8:19 PM

organize?...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 1:11 AM

I do the same as SamTherapy, works for me!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

klown ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 10:03 AM

Mine used to look like a hefty bag filled with giant squids, (now that's what the back of my guitar rig looks like)
now it looks like this:

FIGURES
   M3
    V3
        V3 Characters
        V3 Clothing
               V3 Shoes          
                    V3 Go-Go Boots
                    etc. 

POSE  
    M3
    V3
        V3 Poses
        V3 Textures
            V3 Character MAT
                V3 Funky Disco Momma Texture and Morph Targets
                etc.

PROPS
       MISC Naughty Bits
       SCENES Inside my spleen
       SCENES Inside someone elses spleen
       VEHICLES Cars I could never afford in real life
      etc.

there is also a script for Daz|Studio if you use it (I do) that will find everything you are looking for everywhere in your runtime called "Finder", don't know if there is anything like that for Poser.
the less expensive way is to open your Poser folder, get to your runtime and right click and go to "search" and it will look only in "runtime" or wherever you select it, I think I switched back to PC once I found you could do that and not have spotlight writing live files all over my HD during my OS X sessions.

Everything in the right place - Radiohead

asrailight ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 11:11 PM

So just for clarification, I can rename my folders and subfolders to anything I want? I had tried that before with DAZ, but it seemed to cause linking issues that gave me a ton of errors. With Poser that's not an issue?

If so, that makes things much easier! I can just rearrange as I see fit, which is what I wished I could do before.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2007 at 11:18 PM

Attached Link: Runtime Division

I used to organize by figure; but now the difference in Poser's load ime, from my external to a minimum Poser intall, is like 5 minutes!

Here is a link to a thread I started on how to divide my one external runtime, into several others, based on then having one figure per runtime.  It's not free yet, but at least it's possible.

12rounds ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 3:14 AM

I also do what TheFixer and SamTherapy do. One huge Runtime with everything on it. Enough subfolders is the key. Loading Poser takes a few minutes, but from then on everything goes smoothly (50+ gig Runtime size).

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 6:57 AM · edited Wed, 18 July 2007 at 6:59 AM

*"So just for clarification, I can rename my folders and subfolders to anything I want? "

*You ca'nt move , or rename, the; Geometries, Textures, or !DAZ folders.  That's all though, all of the other libraries' contents are game.

%99.99 of the time I always extract a new product into an empty runtime, on my desktop.  Then I rename most of the new folders to something easy to remember,  that matches.

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 9:35 AM

Also you shouldn't rename your top lever folders either, just anything inside them [except the DAZ ones].

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 10:14 AM
Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 11:02 AM

Quote - So just for clarification, I can rename my folders and subfolders to anything I want? I

Just the folders inside the Libraries folder.  The following folder contents can be sorted into sub folders:

camera
character
face
hair
hand
light
materials
pose
props

Other folders that you see inside the Libraries folder are morph folders that contain morphs for different packages that you have installed.  So do not change any of those.

Also do not move your Geometries or Textures folders or the contents inside.

If you want to rearrange the Geometries and Textures you will need something like Correct Reference Pro to assist you with that.  Howvever, since you are not browsing those folders when inside Poser, I suggest just leaving those alone.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

asrailight ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 2:11 PM · edited Wed, 18 July 2007 at 2:11 PM

Quote - Other folders that you see inside the Libraries folder are morph folders that contain morphs for different packages that you have installed.  So do not change any of those.

I'm guessing that the "morphs" folder is different than the "pose" folder, which might have morphs in it, correct?

Sorry, this is just all a tad confusing.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 12:43 AM

:ohmy:  You can rename the contents of camera, Character, face, hair, hand, materials, Pose, and props; but not any of those folders themsleves.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.