Sun, Sep 22, 11:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Faceshop Pro thread closed by staff after degenerating into a flamefest

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 5:50 PM · edited Tue, 24 July 2007 at 5:54 PM

Quote - A short quote from Karen:

"Threads are locked when they degenerate so far as to become useless"

How exactly is this thread useful for the Poser community?  Did you mean when they become useless for the moderator?   I think the posts in this thread belong in a chat room or even MSN messenger.  And if you need to let of steam, open a blog site.

If I´m not mistaken this is a POSER forum not a philosophical venue to change the world and the internet is crammed with sites where you can trade cute cat pictures and tell funny stories.  Here it seems pretty USELESS.

I don´t care if you lock this thread or not but consistancy is a virtue

Lighthearted social interaction is definately not useless for creating community and friendly kind of atmosphere. It's disappointing to see that some people fail to recognize it's value.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Vestmann ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 5:51 PM

Ok. Sam I agree that my complaints my seem off the mark.

My original post was intended for the moderator and the point I was trying to make was that I felt the decision to lock the other thread but not this one was inconsistant.  I understand that what´s useless to some isn´t so to others.  I was only pointing out the inconsistancy.

I´ve learned a lot from this forum, especially when I was starting out in Poser, and I know that the majority of posts here are very useful.  I also remember that searching this forum for a perticular problem could be hard and especially frustrating beacause of OT search results (like cat pictures ;)  Don´t get me wrong, OT´s are great for the community, like a watercooler in a dull workspace.  But no matter how you turn it, 10´s and 10´s pages of OT chit chat isn´t useful for the community.  I´m probably just a forumite purist but that´s how I feel about it.

Vestmann's Gallery

Vestmann ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:08 PM

Connie, I´m tempted to say: Define "Lighthearted social interaction", but I´m not :)   
I´ve spent way to many keystrokes on this already and I ´ve said what I have to say.

Please continue with the kitten pictures.  Btw, did you hear that Lindsay Lohan got arrested on DUI charges! Has anyone got anymore on that one? (sorry I couldn´t resist ;)

Bless bless

Vestmann's Gallery

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:10 PM

Quote - This may better maintain a corporate decorum desired by Bondware, but some vitality is lost by the artist’s community at large in the exchange.

To help me understand this, could you be little more specific in describing what it is that is being lost?

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:12 PM · edited Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:13 PM

Quote - Please continue with the kitten pictures.  Btw, did you hear that Lindsay Lohan got arrested on DUI charges! Has anyone got anymore on that one? (sorry I couldn´t resist ;)

That's nice mr. Fourm Purist. 
I guess you don't follow your own standards.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:15 PM

Vestmann - I agree that the thread in itself isn't directly useful to anyone wanting to find out how to use Poser but it's one thread out of thousands on this forum.  The fact that it's contained in here and not spilling out into the rest of the place is a good thing, in my opinion.

Besides which, who is to say that the people posting here would actually be doing something more Poer oriented in the forum if they weren't goofing off?  To expect people to post strictly on topic here is unrealistic and I believe it would destroy whatever feelings of communtiy this place has.  Some would argue that there's little "community" in here anyhow, despite what it says at the top of the page.  Strictly on topic forums tend to be dry as old sticks with very little interaction and sharing.  I think this one has mostly got things right.

As for locking a thread when it becomes useless, I believe that can be interpreted as useless when all the posters are doing is trying to tear each other a new one.  At least here we're conducting ourselves in a reasonable manner.

By all means complain to the staff if you must but I honestly think you're wrong to want or expect this forum to be !00% on topic.

By the same token, the posters in this thread - myself included - are always willing to offer help on Poser related stuff if we can.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:17 PM

Some people need to take a chill pill!

Rodma_Hu ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:19 PM

For Conniekat8:
I appreciate the light hearted humor throughout this thread, even as I'm a relative outsider. I appreciate more a heated discussion about what makes art great.

Again, my point is about careful use of censorship, and the liberal allowance of free association.

Vestmann ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:21 PM · edited Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:23 PM

Connie, actually it was my stab at being sarcastic.  And you have to love the irony that I´m one of few that´s continuing this dreadful OT thread.  Who knows, maybe I´ll rebel and become the notorious OT threader! I must admit it is fun.

Vestmann's Gallery

jwhitham ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:32 PM

Quote - Lighthearted social interaction is definately not useless for creating community and friendly kind of atmosphere. It's disappointing to see that some people fail to recognize [b]it's[/b] value.

Largely agree but, possessive pronoun with an apostrophe?!?! Oh dear, oh dear.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:33 PM

Quote - Actually it was my stab at being sarcastic. 

I know you were being sarcastic and rather confrontational in that sarcasam, rather then friendly. 
The irony is that you did that right after complaining about other people joking around, being sarcastic and other types of OT-isams, and claiming that you are a forum purist, and don't like flames and OT's and useless conversations.
On one hand you claim to have some sort of standards and values, and then three minutes later, your behavior violates your own values and standards.

Does that mean you only apply those standards to yourself, but not others? See, one thing that you need to pay attention to, if you want to be taken seriously, is that your claims and actions need to agree with each other. You know, lead by example. Let people look up to you, rise to the occasion.

Right now, you're doing anything but showing a good example, but yet harping on others not being (in your opinion) not being a good example of forum purisam. In addition to that you're showing a bit of sereotyping ignorance in assuming that people whom like to giggle and joke with one another can't carry on a serious conversation.

If anything, you're coming across to me as someone who wants to join in the fun with the other kids, but doesn't know how, so out of jealousy he jumps in and kicks other kids cute little sandcastles, because everyone is playing in a wrong sandbox.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:37 PM

Quote - > Quote - Lighthearted social interaction is definately not useless for creating community and friendly kind of atmosphere. It's disappointing to see that some people fail to recognize [b]it's[/b] value.

I could write that in Croatian, without grammar and punctuation errors. Would that suit people better? 
That way I can take it easy and be persnickety, and everyone else can put int the effort to learn my native language - for a change.

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:38 PM

"If anything, you're coming across to me as someone who wants to join in the fun with the other kids, but doesn't know how, so out of jealousy he jumps in and kicks other kids cute little sandcastles, because everyone is playing in a wrong sandbox."

Now that is what I call putting it to 'em.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:38 PM

Quote - Some people need to take a chill pill!

Hey, you changed you avatar, I almost didn't recognize you!!!!
Is that hunky good looking face you?

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:40 PM

*Now that is what I call putting it to 'em.
*I'm not sure what that means? (little colloquial phrasing I hadn't caught on to yet?)

Vestmann ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:40 PM

Sam, I get your point and I agree pretty much 100%.  Like I said earlier I think OT posts are great for the community and I´m not to big to admit that maybe I was over-reacting. And in all fairness I´ve enjoyed the discussions here tonight.

Vestmann's Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:43 PM

Quote - ... And in all fairness I´ve enjoyed the discussions here tonight.

That's what it's all about, buddy. :)

My Store

My Gallery

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:44 PM

Yeah, that's me in my avatar. I thought it was about time people knew I wasn't a she, LOL! I Don't know about hunky though but I'll take compliments anytime. Or are you being sarcastic my little Kitty!!

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:46 PM

'Putting it to 'em.' How best would you describe this Sam?

Rodma_Hu ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:46 PM

Thought you looked like Henry Rollins there for a moment.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:48 PM

Quote - Yeah, that's me in my avatar. I thought it was about time people knew I wasn't a she, LOL! I Don't know about hunky though but I'll take compliments anytime. Or are you being sarcastic my little Kitty!!

I'm not being sarcastic at all... You're quite handsome! 
And... um... all this time... um... looking at your avatar before... I ... thought.... you....were....
a... girl....  ;)              

....[just kidding]

So... can I take your pic for a texture?     ..................         [ducking and running]

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:53 PM

I know some people thought I was female because of my avatars, so I needed to change it!

"So... can I take your pic for a texture"
Will you need my whole body?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:53 PM

Quote - 'Putting it to 'em.' How best would you describe this Sam?

? Sorry mate, don't get yer drift.

My Store

My Gallery

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:53 PM

Rodma_hu - Who's Henry Rollins?

jwhitham ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:54 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Lighthearted social interaction is definately not useless for creating community and friendly kind of atmosphere. It's disappointing to see that some people fail to recognize [b]it's[/b] value.

I could write that in Croatian, without grammar and punctuation errors. Would that suit people better? 
That way I can take it easy and be persnickety, and everyone else can put int the effort to learn my native language - for a change.

Sorry, it was a poor attempt at a joke. Your logic is impeccable, and your grammar is a great deal better than most people I know whose native language is English.

Just don't do the possessive pronoun with an apostrophe bit again, okay?

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:55 PM

""'Putting it to 'em" - I can only describe this as verbally kicking them in the goolies!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:59 PM

Oh, yeah. I guess so.  Me, I'm glad we kept things reasonably civil.

My Store

My Gallery

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:59 PM · edited Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:01 PM

Alot of people who's native tongue is not English will generally speak it better than we do here because we no longer speak it correctly. We become lazy with dialects & slang etc.
I am exaggerating here really.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:02 PM

*Sorry, it was a poor attempt at a joke. Your logic is impeccable, and your grammar is a great deal better than most people I know whose native language is English.

Just don't do the possessive pronoun with an apostrophe bit again, okay?*

Sorry, I'm a little edgy and in a bad mood today, and in the middle of ripping into someone else's logic, so I misunderstood you were joking....  :(   Sowwy

Posessive pronoun you say... off to wikipedia to look up how to use it properly....

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:03 PM

Quote - I know some people thought I was female because of my avatars, so I needed to change it!
"So... can I take your pic for a texture"
Will you need my whole body?

Is that an offer?

jwhitham ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:04 PM

Quote - Alot of people [b]who's[/b] native tongue is not English will generally speak it better than we do here because we no longer speak it correctly. We become lazy with dialects & slang etc.
I am exaggerating here really.

Possessive pronoun again! "Whose native tongue" for goodness sake! 

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:06 PM

Quote - Oh, yeah. I guess so.  Me, I'm glad we kept things reasonably civil.

We did? I thought I got Vestmann all scratched and clawed up...
[Hissy Kitty]

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:06 PM

Just checked out Henry Rollins. He even has tattoos like me, well he has a couple more really!

Connie - Would this be for personal use or the marketplace? 😉

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:07 PM · edited Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:08 PM

jwhitham - I was hoping you'd be the first to notice it!

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:07 PM

Your logic is impeccableIt is?????   :blink:
Thank You!

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:11 PM

Possessive pronoun again! "Whose native tongue" for goodness sake! 

Aha, that one I know about.  Its and a short for it is get confuzzed often.

But, but, are we feeling little possesive about posessive pronouns? ;)

Vestmann ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:12 PM

Connie, First of all I´d like to say that I have great respect for everyone in this forum and I would never assume anything but good off them.

Second, If you took my response as being unfriendly I apologize as it was not my intent.

Third, I never claimed to be a forum purist (quite frankly I don´t want to be).

I came into this discussion with an open mind, I´ve listened to others and I´ve admitted to over-reacting to the whole OT thang.  I certainly don´t think of myself as an example for others and if you think I´m looking to be a moral pillar for this community, you´re dead wrong.

Your sandbox theory was pretty accurate except for the jealousy and kicking part.  I´m not an experienced forum poster but doing my best :)

As far as being "socially lighthearted", this ain´t it.

Vestmann's Gallery

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:15 PM

*Connie - Would this be for personal use or the marketplace?
Ummm...blush :blink:  blush  * *:blink:  :blink:  * :blushing:

Vestmann ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:16 PM

Connie, you can´t go clawing into people with that avatar.  It´s simply not fair ;) (and I mean that in a good way)

Vestmann's Gallery

jwhitham ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:23 PM

Quote - Your logic is impeccableIt is?????   :blink:
Thank You!

Well, impeccable to someone that agrees with it...

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:23 PM

Quote - Connie, you can´t go clawing into people with that avatar.  It´s simply not fair ;) (and I mean that in a good way)

Damn, now I have to go find someone else to fight with! You turned out to be a nice guy!
Sowwy :(

But, but, I am a kitty, all nice and fuzzy, till you catch a claw...

And you did say in one of your post that  " I´m probably just a forumite purist but that´s how I feel about it."   So don't go confuzzing me! :P I had to go searching and copying and pasting and and... you turned out to be a nice guy...  Phsahw!  I'm sowwy :(
Do we kiss and make up now?

jwhitham ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:25 PM

Quote - jwhitham - I was hoping you'd be the first to notice it!

You do realise that some people here are going to have to stay late and write out some lines?

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:25 PM

Quote - > Quote - Your logic is impeccableIt is?????   :blink:

Thank You!

Well, impeccable to someone that agrees with it...

gasp  you mean there are people whom don't agree with me???  gasp
shakes head... how can that be  😕   Where did I go wrong?  :m_confused2:

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:28 PM

"You do realise that some people here are going to have to stay late and write out some lines?"

I can't do detention at the moment, Connie's got a photo session planned for me.

Vestmann ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:31 PM

Yeah kiss and make up sounds about right as I really have to go to sleep now (this is way to addicitve)

Xenophonz first hinted I  was a forumite purist so that was another stab at being sarcastic (I must stop doing that)

Ps. never call me nice guy again! ;)

Goodnight to all from Iceland

Vestmann's Gallery

jwhitham ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:32 PM

Quote - "You do realise that some people here are going to have to stay late and write out some lines?"

I can't do detention at the moment, Connie's got a photo session planned for me.

Do you have a note?

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:33 PM

I think jwhitham should help me. Getting you all posed and ready to render seems like too much work for just one girl...

Why do I have this sinking feeling that I just made all the other guys feel bad and left out.... sowwy 

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:34 PM

You be the one to tell Connie that I can't make it then!

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:35 PM

Quote -
Ps. never call me nice guy again! ;)

Goodnight to all from Iceland

Sweet dreams, Mr. Nice Guy :P

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:36 PM

You're a tease Connie, nothing but a tease!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.