Sun, Oct 6, 6:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Poser 7 SR 2.1 now available!

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2007 at 7:42 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 11:56 PM
Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2007 at 9:48 PM

Thanks for the heads up!

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2007 at 10:09 PM

file_383986.jpg

Wonder if I can just skip this one?  I don't see any meaningful changes in the readme ....  no, skipping isn't worth it.  The next one will somehow manage to require this one to be installed first.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

destro75 ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2007 at 10:20 PM

Quote - Wonder if I can just skip this one?  I don't see any meaningful
changes in the readme ....  no, skipping isn't worth it.  The next
one will somehow manage to require this one to be installed first.

Not really a feature release. It's just a hidden bug fixer. It's worth the time to install.

mylemonblue ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2007 at 11:15 PM

It would be great if this fixes the PTDT (poof to desk top). That has been a real PITA.

I'm looking forward to seeing how/if  this fixes those kind of things.

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

infinity10 ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 12:27 AM · edited Fri, 27 July 2007 at 12:27 AM

oh my goodness, not another update.....  groan gripe moan cuss.... no no no no kick smash...

Grrrr !!  Enough already !  Dear E-fro, this is very tiresome sob sob sob.

Anyway.  Thank you LostinSpaceman, for the headsup.

Eternal Hobbyist

mickmca ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 5:53 AM

Quote - Dear E-fro, this is very tiresome

What's tiresome, on my end of the DSL line, is eF's "Give us your money, you loyal sleazeball" mentality. Why can't they write a simple piece of code that remembers my @(#@@ serial number? Firefox manages to remember it, but not eF. And no, it's not because I'm too brain dead to set cookies correctly. I check "Remember the @#*@& serial number" every time, and every time I come back it's been forgotten again. I don't have this problem anywhere else... except at Content Paradise, where until a few months ago I had to dredge up my serial number again every time I tried to pick up a free model worth about $5.

And to add insult to injury, read the release notes. Instead of wasting time fixing trivial things like the collapse of the delete function and the freeze up in "No figure" states, they have "fixed" the "bug" that only required one serial number from upgraders. Now, to make it even more user trusting, it requires two.

M

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 6:55 AM

I think the last time I needed a serial number on Content Paradise, I ended up cutting and pasting from my order history. Obviously, they know what it is. I have a login ID and password, which is clearly connected to my purchase of the product and a record of the product serial number. And then they still want me to give them the serial number. I can, just about, forgive it for a product upgrade. It's a little clumsy, but there will be upgraders who didn't buy the original product through the same account. Still, they have my credit card number, and yet they don't seem to quite trust their own system, which happens to be storing info to access my money. And if they want me to prove, every time. that I'm a Poser 6 purchaser, well, just what are they scared of?

manoloz ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 8:30 AM

I think they just keep up with the times. Internet piracy what it is, they are probably just checking in different ways to trap fake/cloned serial numbers.
Anybody who has travelled as a foreigner to the US of A can understand the paranoia mentality passing several times through x rays, body checks, bag inspections, walking without shoes and belts, etc. THAT is bothersome.
Same principle. Catch the bad guys.
Back to topic.
I installed the update, and it seems to be working fine in my machine.

still hooked to real life and enjoying the siesta!
Visit my blog! :D
Visit my portfolio! :D

Darboshanski ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 8:32 AM

Go ahead folks install it and I'll just watch for now. I tried the SR2 and got nothing but grief and wnet back to SR1 for now. Not going through H E double hockey sticks again. Fool me once , shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

My Facebook Page

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 8:55 AM

Quote - Go ahead folks install it and I'll just watch for now. I tried the SR2 and got nothing but grief and wnet back to SR1 for now. Not going through H E double hockey sticks again. Fool me once , shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I thought that was "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, you can't fool me again" - GWB

SNORT!

Darboshanski ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 9:37 AM

LOL whatever it may be I ain't falling for it again...hahahaha.

My Facebook Page

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 10:16 AM

Yeah, I'll sit this one out unless and until someone discovers a
meaningful bugfix that isn't mentioned in the readme. 

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 10:31 AM

Well, personally I think it looks like a LOT of things are fixed with this update. Some may seem very minor to some users, it always depends on what exactely you're using Poser for, but honestly.. People bitch when ef is taking too long to put out a SR, and now they bitch because they do O.o

IMO, it's great when something is updated. It shows that the creators are interested in supporting their software and not JUST devote all their time to the Big Update (called Poser 8)

Then agian I havne't had any problems with any of the previous SR's so I'm downloading this rightnow and I certainly plan to install it as soon as it's all down :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

cherokee69 ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 10:51 AM

Has anyone that has installed SR2.1 noticed a difference in render speed. Not exactly sure but I think it's rendering slower or taking longer to start rendering. I don't remember SR2.0 taking as long but I might be mistaken.

Would like to hear what others think about this.

Other than that, it seems to be working fine for me.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 11:04 AM · edited Fri, 27 July 2007 at 11:11 AM

Here's another one who hasn't had a minute's trouble with any of the previous P7 upgrades.  I will be sure to grab this one later tonight.

Also, I agree 100% with TrekkieGrrrl.  The release of SR's for Poser 7 is a reason to be praising e-frontier for their continued support of their product -- and of their customers.  It's not something to be slamming them over.

But -- then again -- it just wouldn't be another day in Poserdom (a metaphor for Peyton Place - low melodrama, not serious high drama) if the menu didn't taste sour.  We've got a formula that we're supposed to follow when it comes to these types of things.

i.e. :  release - gripe - release - gripe - release - gripe - release - gripe - release - gripe - release - gripe - release - gripe - release...........

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

destro75 ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 11:22 AM

Heh, hey TrekkieGrrl, were you reading my post in the Poser 8 Wishlist thread? LoL.

Totally agreed. I'm happy that e-F is still working on P7. They could be halfway done with 8 right now if they wanted to ignore the current user base. However, they're still going through the process of fixing and testing. I, for one, appreciate the effort.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 11:24 AM

Quote - > Quote - Go ahead folks install it and I'll just watch for now. I tried the SR2 and got nothing but grief and wnet back to SR1 for now. Not going through H E double hockey sticks again. Fool me once , shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I thought that was "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, you can't fool me again" - GWB

SNORT!

No -- it's actually as Sealtm2 has rendered it......and it's the official motto of the current Clinton campaign.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 11:43 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Go ahead folks install it and I'll just watch for now. I tried the SR2 and got nothing but grief and wnet back to SR1 for now. Not going through H E double hockey sticks again. Fool me once , shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

SNORT!

No -- it's actually as Sealtm2 has rendered it......and it's the official motto of the current Clinton campaign.

I was being Faceitious Xeno. Hence the Snort, kinda like a guffaw only boogers are involved. :tt2: I'm always glad to see an update to something that I paid for if it need's fixing!

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 11:47 AM · edited Fri, 27 July 2007 at 11:47 AM

Not a problem, LostinSpaceman.  Updates are a good thing.

And thanks for the heads up.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 11:53 AM

I'm not griping but I am almost to the point were I want to tell those with no problems to take a long hike. But I will not cuz ain't right HOWEVER, just because you're in poser happy land doesn't mean that others are not haveing troubles with the updates, typical human reponse if it ain't happening to me there is no problem which seem to fit the state of world affairs right now, BUT that is ANOTHER gripe I guess.

Some of use really get tired of having strange things happen in poser it gets tiresome and annoying. I am happy EF is working on the problems, yes, terrific, outstanding, I'm yelling it from every mountian top, and where I live we got plenty of them, but being a little cautious and questioning "Is this going to work for me" is not paramount to griping. If you want to hear griping I'll send any of you a .wav file of my ex and then you'll hear griping so much so that by the time your done listeining to it suicide will look like heaven.

I may download the update just as I have the other only this time I will wait to install it AFTER I have finished all m client based projects. I made that  mistake the last SR and paid for it. Sorry if this offends but ya know what? Welcome to life and no matter what said it will not please all of teh people all of the time.

My Facebook Page

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 12:23 PM · edited Fri, 27 July 2007 at 12:25 PM

Quote - Welcome to life and no matter what said it will not please all of teh people all of the time.

True, true.  And it's also true that "you'll never please some people, all of the time" 😉

I sympathize with your update problems.  Computers do strange things on occasion.

BTW -- I've yet to discover where "Poser happyland" is located.  But I've seen plenty of maps & I've been given directions -- many, many times -- about how to get to "Poser UN-happyland".  Speaking only for myself (of course): it's a place that I'd rather avoid.

Edit: in my experience, 9 times out of 10, it's a matter of attitude......but that's not to deny that the 10th time is real.  Sometimes.

Personally, I'd rather focus on the 9.

destro75 ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 12:41 PM

Sealtm2, no one is discounting that you have genuine issues. However, the problem being identified is the issue where people complain for 3 months that the software is full of bugs, then a service release comes out, and people get mad about having to install it.

No one is saying anyone should or shouldn't install anything. If you are doing okay without a patch, then there's zero reason to install it. The patches are released to fix problems that people have reported. If you're not one of those people, then there's no reason to even think about the patch.

I run into issues sometimes, and I report them. Sometimes their fix is included in a service release. Sometimes not. Usually when they aren't, it turns out it is a problem specific to me. No harm, no foul.

All I'm saying is it can't go both ways. Either there are no patches released, and everyone lives with what they've got, or e-F puts out patches that hopefully solve the problems without creating new ones. It's one or the other. But people can't complain about both. (Not accusing you of said behavior.)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 1:16 PM

file_384033.gif

:)

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 1:20 PM

Look, we're paying e-frontier with actual money for each new version.  We
don't need to pay them encouragement and praise as well.  They will
keep turning out new versions as long as the new versions are making
a profit, whether we complain or not.

Encouragement and praise are appropriate currencies for free products.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

nerd ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 1:20 PM
Forum Moderator

The "Large polys intersectiong camera plane" was a PtDT crash. If you've had crashes when rendering or blank renders you'll want to install this.

MaskimXul ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 1:20 PM

Before the first SR2, I could save PNGs with a background image.
After installing it, I no longer could.
Please tell me this is fixed with the SR2.1...

Darboshanski ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 1:28 PM

Actually, in all honesty, I believe that most of my troubles stem from V4 and V4.1 as it seems all my poser problems seem to happen with her in them and most have to do with a PMD error message coming up or her not playing nice with other figures in the scene. I rarely use more than two figures in a scene. But if she (V4) is in a scene with say V3 then V4 does strange things like not being able to move her arms or legs. She becomes completely locked up and I never locked a thing on her. This usually happens after about 6 renders and it doesn't matter if IK is on or not.

But I am going to have to wait until I complete the projects I have going now before I install this latest patch. More of me saying fool me once...yada yada yada was more directed at me as I installed SR2 in the middle of a project and then had problems with the saved project when brought back into the new SR. I just don't want that to happen again I can't afford for that to happen again.

My Facebook Page

nerd ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 1:29 PM
Forum Moderator

I save PNG all the time. What are the steps to produce this one? I can try it in SR2.1 and let you know.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 1:39 PM

Quote - Look, we're paying e-frontier with actual money for each new version.  We
don't need to pay them encouragement and praise as well.  They will
keep turning out new versions as long as the new versions are making
a profit, whether we complain or not.

Encouragement and praise are appropriate currencies for free products.

Oh.......I've got people that I pay for selling stuff to me in RL, too.  I don't make a point of slapping them everytime that we carry out a transaction.  In fact, you might even say that we're on friendly terms........because they are selling me things that I want -- which pleases me.

What's more: if they happen to drop by and offer me an add-in or a fix for the item that I previously purchased from them (with real money) -- then we get along very well.

Such behavior tends to create a positive atmosphere all of the way around -- instead of a constant negative drumbeat.  An environment in which everyone is miserable.

With an exchange of money -- it doesn't automatically follow that the accepted means of communication is  to constantly shout at hapless CSR's.  Or even at CFO's or CEO's, for that matter.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 1:42 PM

Quote - :)

I tried to squash that bug, Sam.  I nearly broke my monitor screen.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 1:45 PM

Quote - > Quote - :)

I tried to squash that bug, Sam.  I nearly broke my monitor screen.

Good, ain't it?  I bet everyone is hitting right click and "Save as" now. :)

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 1:47 PM

BTW - "creating positive atmospheres" is an illegal activity in some localities.  So you'd best check your local laws before you try.  It might get you into trouble. 😉

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 1:53 PM

Quote - Good, ain't it?  I bet everyone is hitting right click and "Save as" now. :)

There used to be an old 8-bit (16-bit?) program called "cockroach".  It made a little roach constantly skitter around your screen.  IIRC, you could control the number of cockroaches, and the level of their frenzied activity.

Some of those simple, old programs were a lot of fun at the time.  Of course: at that point no one had ever seen anything like them before.

"Diskcrash", "Diskwasher",   The old Macs had a program called "Fire Organ".  Neat.....but it wasn't enough to get me hooked on Macs.

MaskimXul ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 1:55 PM

Quote - I save PNG all the time. What are the steps to produce this one? I can try it in SR2.1 and let you know.

Load a figure, import a bg image,  in render settings options I've selected "render over background picture".
The window & bg image are the same size, btw.

It renders with the background visible, but when exported as a PNG it saves with no background
:(

creativedistractions ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 1:56 PM

I just had a problem come up a few minutes ago that has me screaming.  I launch Poser, open up V4 and as soon as I move the camera, she disappears!  If I change cameras, she's there again, but when I move the new camera, she disappears again.  I closed Poser, reopened Poser, even loaded a different figure and it is all the same.  One minute the figure is there and the next POOF!  Anyone have this problem or knows what is happening?  Maybe it's a bug and the new release will help!

This is highly annoying at the very least and I really can't even work with Poser now since this has JUST started to happen!

Please, any help would be appreciated!

Jim

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 2:00 PM

@creativedistractions --

I've had that happen before -- and not just with V4.  I've had it happen with random Poser scenes.  Usually the solution for me has been to reboot my machine.

nerd ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 2:15 PM
Forum Moderator

@ MaskimXul: Yup, it's broke. For a work around you can use TIFF as it saves correctly. I'll file this as a bug. Hopefully SR3.

When you hit something like this,especially if you can reproduce it file a bug report. They really do read those and that's the best way to get your pet bugs fixed.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 2:22 PM

Quote - > Quote - I save PNG all the time. What are the steps to produce this one? I can try it in SR2.1 and let you know.

Load a figure, import a bg image,  in render settings options I've selected "render over background picture".
The window & bg image are the same size, btw.

It renders with the background visible, but when exported as a PNG it saves with no background
:(

Poser has always done that to me with PNG's. I thought it was a feature! :cursing: It's how I create my PNG's for my library window with transparency.

MaskimXul ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 2:22 PM

Quote - @ MaskimXul: Yup, it's broke. For a work around you can use TIFF as it saves correctly. I'll file this as a bug. Hopefully SR3.

When you hit something like this,especially if you can reproduce it file a bug report. They really do read those and that's the best way to get your pet bugs fixed.

Thanks. It's a big issue for me, because of rendering png thumbs for my products.
I've been exporting them as jpg and then converting them as png.
Converting thumbnails is a bit annoying, but ah well, I will submit a bug report and hopefully that will be addressed sometime in the near future.

nerd ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 3:05 PM
Forum Moderator

Wait a minute Uli just emailed me back. It's not broke. Open the PNG is something that doesn't do transparency. Viola there's the background. (I opened it in UVMapper and a texture) It seems that if there is transparency data in the PNG that info takes precedent over actual image data.

Since you are using it for thumbs how about putting the image on a prop square in the background. Plug your background into the ambient color and black out everything else. Once you have that rig built it would be faster than processing all your thumbs.

destro75 ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 3:07 PM

MaskimXul, as another way to work around your issue while waiting for a fix, how about the square fix?

Put a square prop in the background of your scene, and apply the image you want to use as a background to it as a texture. That's how I always put in background images. Then you can save it as a PNG, and it won't remove the background.

Definitely follow nerd's advice though. Submit the bug report. I advise everyone to do that when they have a problem. They can't fix it if they don't know it's broken.

destro75 ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 3:09 PM

Heh, cross posted with you nerd. You and Uli are too quick for me.

dogor ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 3:20 PM

Hey, Sealtm2. I've had the same problem with V4 in P7. Now I know it's not just me. Don't have 4.1 because I wasn't totally blown away by  V4. Besides I kind of like the G2 figures now and I still use SP3 and V3, M3 and David and Aiko and Hiro and well I could keep going. You get the point, I have enough to keep me busy without it.

dogor,

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 3:33 PM

I feel for Tim. I remember his last update when he was working on his client projects. That's just scarey when money is involved.

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 3:54 PM

Thank you e-f.

Do not complain guy's. At least they work on it. They give updates.
All PS's are different, with different hard- and software configurations.

I know proggie's far more expencive that sell, and then dissapear, untill the next release at double the price. ( Sometimes just to fix bugs. )

On your knees and say thank you. Well, not all problems are solved at once, and yes new probl. can appear. Yeah, so what, will be adressed in the next SR. (hopelfully) Just give them concrete feedback about what is happening.

Been Posering for quite a few years, and I have seen worce.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

Darboshanski ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 3:57 PM

How true there were 3 SRs for P6 before it became the stable platform it is now.

My Facebook Page

Anniebel ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 4:14 PM

Quote - Go ahead folks install it and I'll just watch for now. I tried the SR2 and got nothing but grief and wnet back to SR1 for now. Not going through H E double hockey sticks again. Fool me once , shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Me too, had no problems until I installed SR2, then poser kept closing for no apparent reason - very irritating. Has stopped again since I went back to SR1

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

MaskimXul ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 6:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Nerd & destro, I'll definitely try that!
👍

cherokee69 ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 9:42 PM

Now I know why I don't get too involved in these message threads anylonger. Am I on everyones ignore list? All I did was ask a simple question about someting I noticed after installing SR 2.1 but since it wasn't a real problem, guess people don't want to talk about it.

Happy Poserizing everyone. Nice knowing you, I think.

MaskimXul ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 10:56 PM

Quote - Now I know why I don't get too involved in these message threads anylonger. Am I on everyones ignore list? All I did was ask a simple question about someting I noticed after installing SR 2.1 but since it wasn't a real problem, guess people don't want to talk about it.

I just installed it (currently rendering) and I haven't noticed a difference in the render times.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.