Mon, Sep 9, 4:02 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 04 4:56 pm)

Subject: Re-adjusting lights makes Vue 6 Esprit crash

stormchaser ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 5:45 AM · edited Sun, 25 August 2024 at 10:59 PM

I tried a search but couldn't find it, sorry if this has been spoken about recently.
I know this has been a problem in the past but I thought with the updates this would have been sorted out. I'm running Vue 6 Esprit, version 6.05-04, build 289779.
Let's say I have gone into the light properties & changed the shadow density. No problem. I do a bit more testing in my scene & now I want to change the shadow softness. I go back into the light settings  & here we go, Vue crashes. This will happen probably about 75% of the time. It always has done for me, I just presumed with the latest updates this would have been fixed.
This is a pain because now I have to make sure my light settings are done in one go or I'll have to reload the scene. This was such a problem the other day because I needed to change my light settings frequently to get them right. I must have had to start Vue up five or six times. Is this just me or are others having this problem?
Thanks for your time.

bruno021 ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 6:11 AM

You are still using the "pre release" version. You need to download the "final" release for your account at e-on, and then update the final version to version 6.10, built 291200
This was a known issue with the pre release and it was fixed months ago.

stormchaser ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 7:12 AM

Thanks bruno. I am using the final version, which is why I thought this issue had been resolved. I didn't think I needed the latest update just to fix this.

stormchaser ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 8:02 AM

Great, tried to install the latest update. It says my installation folder is corrupted & to uninstall Vue & re-install. Tried a re-install, now I can only use the pre-release version. I no longer have the download file for the final reIease. I can't find a link in my account or on the site to re-install the final version, only the final release update. I don't know if it's worth contacting e-on because by the time I get a response I may not be online anymore to receive it. I am missing something obvious I know, but my head is in pieces at the moment.
I'm sorry, I'm having a really bad time & this kind of shit is pissing me off. Why the hell can't software just be released in full so we can use the damn thing. Aren't testers used for this! Oh wait, we are the fucking testers!! You wouldn't buy a car & expect to keep taking it back for updates just so you can use it properly!
I generally don't have major problems with this software, just niggles, & I've probably been lucky so far, now I just can't be arsed.

bruno021 ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 8:51 AM

I understand the frustration, but it was clear from day one that the pre release was not the final release. And when the final release came out, everyone got a notification with a download link.
But  you can still download your final version.
Do as follows:
Go to e-on, go to "customer care" then "my account", go to the bottom of this page, nd you will see your ordrs history, click on the Vue 6 Esprit, nodelocked, etc.... line, you'll see it is actually a hyperlink that will take you to the download page, where you'll be able to download your final version.

stormchaser ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 9:14 AM

Firstly, my sincere apologies for my previous post. Can it be deleted? I'm not normally the sort of person who will use that kind of language in a forum. Sorry to anyone who was offended. I guess I shouldn't use my personal problems as an outlet on this issue.

bruno21 - Many many thanks for helping me out here. I wouldn't have blamed you for just telling me where to go, LOL!
I had originally downloaded the final release some time ago, but it's my fault for not keeping tab on the updates. When I went to my accounts earlier I was in such a rash manner that I only checked out the software updates section, d'oh! Thanks for telling me the correct section to go to. I'm currently re-downloading the final realease. Fingers crossed I can get it updated properly this time. I might actually leave that part until later after I've cleared my head.
Major thanks again bruno, you're a top guy!

vincebagna ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 9:19 AM

storm - Be aware though that Poser import problems such as props not loaded or hair disapeared are not fixed yet. I experienced that since the final release, and even the last update didn't fix it. I always use some "tricks" to get out of that.

My Store

stormchaser ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 9:29 AM

Hi Vince. I've been fairly lucky with the props & hair I've used. Only a couple of problems.
My main concern now will be memory. I have a scene I need to do, probably two or three figures will be needed plus props etc. I don't think my 1GB RAM will be able to handle it. I have no money for upgrades so I'll just have to try & see what I can do. I can see my memory needing to be purged with every change in the scene!

vincebagna ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 9:35 AM

I had poor luck for my part :(
When importing a character, it often comes bald, and sometimes naked too! So i have to export the hair from Poser as an obj, then import it back, re-texture it, and import all into Vue. But it's a waste of time. I was luckier when running the pre-release version, it was a lot more stable for me.

My Store

bruno021 ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 9:54 AM · edited Sat, 28 July 2007 at 9:55 AM

storm, glad I could help. The Poser problems Vincent has are Poser7 only, if you still use P6, you should be okay.
For multiple figures, with little ram, I'd recommend a wireframe display ( I know, it sucks), disable the background draw thread, organize your figures in layers, and hide the layers you're not currently working on. Avoid the reposing and Poser shader tree if you can.
Purge often.
Make the ancient anti crash dance from the Oregon natives! :)

vincebagna ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 10:08 AM

Quote - *"The Poser problems Vincent has are Poser7 only, if you still use P6, you should be okay."

*Sorry to disagree Bruno, but i use P6. And all the problems i went (and still go) through happened with P6 import. I have currently at least 3 billets running with e-on staff to get out of that, but i still cannot see the light! You talked about frustration above, and i'm still in that mood about Vue. As i use almost only Poser characters in my work, i'm greatly handicaped with those problems, and no e-on technicians are able to solve that for me.
I remember having been not really "polite" with one of them some months ago, but i've been very angry to put that amount of bucks in a software that walks only on one leg. I haven't thought of a refund though, because i hate to look back. Now i'm engaged in that software, i want to go ahead. I will surely upgrade to Infinite a day, but with all the bugs that are hanging around, i will probably take my time.

My Store

stormchaser ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 10:18 AM · edited Sat, 28 July 2007 at 10:19 AM

bruno - Thanks for the tips. I have just started using the wireframe display when my scene is getting heavy, it does make a difference even though it's harder to organise things. I'm glad you mentioned layers, this is one aspect I have been meaning to experiment with. I really think I will have to go with this option. I know these work arounds will mean more work on my part but I guess it's worth it if I can achieve my goals!
I must confess to using the shader tree even though I probably don't need it. With my memory I guess I'll have to boot it!
Just to add, I do use Poser 7 which is why I'm grateful I haven't had as many problems as I thought I would.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 10:33 AM

Stormy, when you downloaded your full version, didn't you put it on disc?
You should be able to reinstall from there!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

stormchaser ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 10:38 AM

thefixer - Please don't make me feel any more humiliated than I already do!! Only joking mate. No, guilty as charged. I forgot to save it to disc.
Walks away quietly with a shame ridden face.......................

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 10:41 AM

Oops, sorry man!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

wabe ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 12:13 PM

Storm, with llittle Ram you maybe keep some things in mind that might help.

#1 put all things onto layers and switch display off for all layers that you do not need at a moment.

#2 Switch all to wireframe mode, even to wireframe box mode what you just need as rough reminder where the items are.

#3 Import your Poser stuff, save the things immediately as vob and restart Vue when you have done the conversion for all Poser things you need in a scene. and then work with the vobs.

#4 not so Poser related. Switch automatic scene preview off if you have not done that. This speeds things up a lot.

@Vince. I guess you have your Poser stuff organised in several runtimes. In my eyes this is the major reason for non importing Poser things into Vue. Vue so far only looks in the default runtime And (in my case on Mac) in the runtime in Downloads. I guess runtimes that are located inside the Poser application folder.
Now Poser often simply writes wrong pathnames into pz3 files. Not a problem for Poser because it simply does a search if a file is not found, for other applications it obviously it is not that easy. They fail in cases like that.
I sometimes have manually corrected those wrong pathnames in the pz3 files - they can be edited - and got what I need. So far I have only one case (DAZ space suit) where all the above didn't worked.
The obj versus obz issue is mentioned by others already so I do not repeat it. Keep fingers aweay from compressed geometry files - they cause trouble.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

FrankT ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 1:00 PM

Quote -
@Vince. I guess you have your Poser stuff organised in several runtimes. In my eyes this is the major reason for non importing Poser things into Vue. Vue so far only looks in the default runtime And (in my case on Mac) in the runtime in Downloads. I guess runtimes that are located inside the Poser application folder.
Now Poser often simply writes wrong pathnames into pz3 files. Not a problem for Poser because it simply does a search if a file is not found, for other applications it obviously it is not that easy. They fail in cases like that.
I sometimes have manually corrected those wrong pathnames in the pz3 files - they can be edited - and got what I need. So far I have only one case (DAZ space suit) where all the above didn't worked.
The obj versus obz issue is mentioned by others already so I do not repeat it. Keep fingers aweay from compressed geometry files - they cause trouble.

Hmmm. . .  I have no content at all in my default poser runtime - Everything is in external runtimes and I've not had any problems with things not importing.  It sometimes looks as if the hair/dress/whatever hasn't imported but when the view refreshes, there it is.  I dunno why I don't have the problem - in theory I should have no end of grief importing poser stuff into Vue. 

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

stormchaser ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 1:31 PM · edited Sat, 28 July 2007 at 1:32 PM

Thanks wabe. In the past I did save some of my figures as vobs, but this was more to do with experimenting with the software rather than a workaround to save memory with my scenes etc. I shall give this a try as well.
Thank you everyone for your help. I now feel even more guilty about about inexcusable rant this morning.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 1:54 PM

Hey stormy, don't beat yourself up about it, we all grt bad days!!  and working with Vue gives you a right to get pissed!! [LOL].

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

vincebagna ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 3:20 PM

Wabe - I only have 2 Runtimes, the main one, and Downloads one. I use subfolders. E-on techs told me about the wrong path names issues, but this wasn't the case. So i don't know where this problem come from. :bored:

My Store

BillyGoat ( ) posted Sun, 29 July 2007 at 4:46 PM

Well, V6E  will open and then either hang or want to put me into the compatible mode. I say no and shut it down. I have all the updates - have not run the newest one yet (.10).

Could it be my video card?  It's 31/2 years old.  nVidia - updated last year.

Works fine on Vue4 Vue5 and P4/P6. The only problem is Vue6Esprite. It's such a waste of money.  V6 PLE had no problems - but I wanted to install V6 and start learning it. 
Plus I have the ecosystem installed and haven't even used it yet...

Guess it's back to Vue 4  - at least that's working perfectly.

I doubt i'll ever purchase another Vue product again.

GRRRRRRRRR

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.