Mon, Sep 9, 6:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Do they sell Poser-like dummies in art stores?

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 7:35 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 8:42 AM

I know they sell the wooden ones that have no face details or nothing. But now it's 2007, technology has matured, i was wondering if they sell small dummies with detailed faces and bodies that can be posed just like poser models? I haven't checked in the art store, don't have time yet. I got this idea to buy one , if not i'll just by a wooden one. thanks

Willber ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 7:55 PM

I haven't seen one and I'm in art stores quite often with my daughter. Just the standard wooden ones.

Gareee ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 8:10 PM

Check Sideshow toys.com.. they sell art buck(something or other) black figures, but a smarter (cheaper) person would look for superposeable soldiers of the world (male) or superposeable Max Steele 12" action figures.

For female figures, I'd look for nude Cy-girls, and prefer the 2.0 versions over the originals.. (more articulation)

12" action figures really advanced in articulation in the last decade..some figures have as many as 50 points of articulation!

There was a super poseable spiderman sold during the first movie release that sported 67 points of articulation! and he as also 18" tall as well.

They even articulated every finger joint!

Even the small Marvel legends figures for $10 sport a ton of articulation, and spandex clad figures are perfect as an artist reference.. and some of those even sport 50 points of articulation!

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 8:16 PM

they sell life-size dummies of male and female humans at one website. don't recall the name of the site. they've got all the naughty bits. there was a television programme about the pervs who buy 'em. otherwise they sell ken and barbie dolls at toy stores, but watch out for the lead paint and tiny magnets. also "malibu staci", which is very popular with a noted celebrity, mr. smithers.

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 8:19 PM

no i dont want life size.. Just like a small dummy.

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 8:20 PM

is that what those wooden ones are called? "Dummies"? or what are they caclled?

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 8:25 PM

I believe they are called Mannequins

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Gareee ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 8:39 PM · edited Thu, 23 August 2007 at 8:40 PM

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 8:40 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: http://www.misterart.com/g3538/Side-Show-Collectibles-Art-S-Buck-Artist-s-Model.htm

file_386103.jpg

I would look for the fully articulated 12" Gi Joe and GI Jane but here is link to best model made for artists that I have found.

Gareee ( ) posted Thu, 23 August 2007 at 8:48 PM

Actually th efully articulated gi jane is very limited articuation wise, especially when compared to takara'a cool girls/cy-girls perfect body.

Occasionally you can even find the Joann Dark cy-girl for under $10 us. (She's a cy girl 1.5, but was marketed as a video game character.

tebop ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 12:14 AM

So where do i get Takara's coolgirls/cy-girls. or that male one you posted a pic of GAREEE

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 12:23 AM

the male is just a super articulated Gi-Joe.. you can also search for a super articulated soldiers of the world.

For the female, you want to search for a cy-girl (or cool girl) perfect body.. best place to find them now is ebay.. there is also a few goth dressed ones as well, but you should find them with that search criteria.

For a more "heroic" looking male body, I prefer the super articulated max Steel.. again check on ebay for him.

tebop ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 12:33 AM

Garee, so you actually use them too? Or am i going to be the first person to use them for art?

Tilandra ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 2:04 AM

Dick Blick art supplies website has them... I remember noticing them the last time I went to check on acrylics prices.  I went "wow, posers"  :D

http://www.dickblick.com/zz216/01/

Have fun.

tebop ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 8:42 AM

I guess i'll get one of those Tilandra. thanks. Maybe they have em in my local art store, i'll check it out. Here's why i want a dummy. i'm going to do alot of illustrated stories on real paper with real pencil. And i just don't want to have the computer on . It's much more peaceful to draw without the computer on. As much as i like poser, i dont' like to have electricity on all the time( computer heat, computer buzzing sound from the computer fan, and the light from the screen )

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 11:55 AM

No, I collect toys.. occasionally I will use them as anatomicl references, specially over the top sculpts. Toy sculpting have really become an art form in the last 15 years or so, with some amazing stuff released.

Check out this recent toy release! He make freak look like a wimp!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 1:25 PM

that's one scary monster! the "one-man chain gang".

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 2:02 PM

Just a few more pics of Pitt.. you actually have to buy 6 regular figures, and you get the parts to assemble him. He's about 10 inches high, and about 20 inches from hand to hand. I'm sorta thinking a "super freak" figure might be interesting to have now in the poserverse...

tebop ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 7:26 PM

Wow that looked great. Well i decided to go for the Art S buck figures.And maybe i'll get others if i find them. I don't do EBAY. and noone else had the CY girls for sale, so i'll pass on those for now. Anwyas, you GUYS SEE????? I knew there was better things than the basic wooden dummy. I just never knew about it until now. They are pretty great. wish me luck.

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 9:33 PM

Um.. ya never heard of GiJoe? He's been around for over 40 years now.

Oh.. place to buy basic cy-girls cheap:

http://www.warlordskeep.net/keepcustoms/id22.html

There are many web stores that sell cy-girls, but they were so popular, that some of the variants and outfitted versions are very expensive now.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 10:55 PM

I remember seeing 'woody' in hobby stores, back when they had hobby stores...:|
I've seen something on HBO once about them 'naughty bits' mannequins. Never saw the whole megilla price, but the torso on the web site (whatever it was) was $1,400.  The women in the segment were doing things to the plastic you'd never see at a Tupperware party..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

saus69 ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 4:52 AM

Have you tried super dollfies? By Volks.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 10:23 AM

I think tebop was...(?) looking for a Mannequin that would actually change Joint(bend, rotate, twist, sidetoside) Paremeters; when plugged into your computer, and posed?

I've wanted this for years, but the trouble is you'd need one for each Figure; as som many figures have different Bones.

I bet we run into it a Toys R' Us one day though!

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 11:54 AM

Nah.. sounded liek he wanted to get away from his PC and do some rl artowrk instead. I always take my scetch pad with me on vacations.. it's a nice break, and if a different creative feeling going back to 2d manual artwork creation.

Many people use mannikins for references.. I usually work out of my head, or with one of two smaller action figures I take with me. I like the newer ones, because they have great sculpting, and killer articulation. Far more, really then needed for art references, but I'd rather have too much then not enough.

freyfaxi ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 4:20 PM

I've found that big Spiderman toy to be excellent..As someone else pointed out, he has 67 articulation points, and is of a size to do some fine posing with. A big plus is the price..he's very reasonable (or was) The only downside to him is, you have to consciously ignore that ghastly spiderman suit :)

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 8:33 PM

LOL.. someone customized that into a 18" superposeable spawn figure.. looked pretty cool

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 8:38 PM

...I still want a Vickie 3 Doll, to Pose with, LOL.

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 9:54 PM

Attached Link: hans bellemer doll

Could be fun to make your own ball joint doll. There are some guides in the Japanese part of the web. I have done it by sewing the limb parts and then gessoing them with a glue chalk recipe and using wood beads for the joints. Also I have made dolls on twine or wire armatures then sewn the body over that after wrapping it with cotton flocking. Got into Poser via doing rag dolls. Artsy rag dolls but still rag dolls. People used to make very realistic ragdoll style marrionets... one classics professor used to perform the the Greek tragedies single handed with them... wish I could find moving picture of that.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 10:21 PM

Wow, momodot, they sound like very interesting accomplishments!  

I doubt I could start something for Poser; but would still want to be the first kid on my block with a Mannequin Input Device!

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2007 at 11:19 PM

I used to do lots of custom action figures a few years ago.. even to the point of buying a sewing machine, and sewing clohing for them.

I'd sculpt additional details (or hede a head), and then add those to existing figures.. use the dremel drill, hot melt glue, anything that would allow me to complete something.

I sold a few on ebay, but kept most of my stuff.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.