Sat, Sep 21, 11:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: good quality (realistic looking) stone shader?

anxcon ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2007 at 2:32 PM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 6:58 AM

for the past week, i've been trying to create a shader for marble or granite in carrara, something decently realistic looking, but haven't been able to find a pattern that i liked

any places i can find some? something that looks good on a countertop or indoor steps
color isn't too much of an issue since i can change those, but goal is something dark/green

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2007 at 2:39 PM

Here's a couple of freebie texture sources that might help:

http://www.bencloward.com/textures_stone.shtml

http://www.textureking.com/

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2007 at 4:15 PM

file_387076.jpg

Hi Anxon, Texture maps are nice for objects but procedurals are probably the best choice for 3D objects because they "behave" the way marble should when there are curved surfaces. Check out the Shader Tree shown above and start playing around with it. Without the subsurface scattering, the veins appear darker. While the image I've posted may not be what you're looking for, the color mixers will probably get you where you are going. Personally, I love creating light colored marble because the subsurface scattering and the new, transparency absorbtion and in scattering creates some pretty cool results. Mark

anxcon ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2007 at 5:34 PM

yes precedurals are what i want, my bad for not mentioning =P

personally i hate texture maps for any case, aside from greyscale control maps for impossible-to-create patterns

thanks for the setup, i'll play around it. again the colors don't matter to me since i can easily switch them to what i wish - another reason i prefer to avoid texture maps - and what i've been working on mainly is trying to achieve a good dark greenish, or mixed with white veins, mainly a good looking pattern, the "marble effects" such as sss and shininess can go on anything (:

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.