Mon, Sep 9, 5:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Help Please....Anyone Here on SECONDLIFE?

juliettejannings ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 1:05 AM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 9:26 AM

I am a player with an avatar on the game of SecondLife.  I am a subscriber to this website because I discovered it while surfing the web and I love it so much!  You artists here ROCK!  
Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone here is familiar with the game of SecondLife and if you know whether the renderings here of characters and clothes can be used in that game?  Is there a way to import the textures from here after buying them?  Anyone that can give me help will be greatly appreciated....thanks so much!  

elenorcoli ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 1:52 AM · edited Sat, 15 September 2007 at 1:56 AM

i have heard of animations being designed in poser and exported to second life.
but all the objects here are pretty hi resolution, and second life is pretty low res.  what you could do is get uvmapper and open some of the textures here and open some of the second life textures and see if you can stretch or push them to fit. 

i believe also that second life may have a texture size limit that you might have to abide by and of course beware of copyright issues.  you definitely want the texures as small as possible since every zone in second life loads every single texure (super laggy that way)

as for using objects (people, clothes whatever, the mesh) from poser, it seems very unlikely to me that they will be useable in second life...(unless you were to limit them to an empty zone...)

some of the animations in second life are pretty &^%$ good too...

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 1:56 AM

Also, make sure you know about copyright. So far as I know if it is possible to do it would be only allowable to do it for your characters and not share the textures/props/clothing etc with anyone else because that would be redistributing the product.

Check the copyright forum here and ask in there about the legalities.  I know there  have been problems with the SIMS games and people using the textures and stuff to make skins for SIMS characters. But I don't know if that is because they were redistributing them or if it extended to them just converting the texture to apply to their own SIMS characters.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

wdupre ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 2:21 AM

SecondLife uses special low rez figures and all other meshes are limited to what is availible in second life (basically just primitive shapes) so there is no way to actually import any poser items to second life. There is a new sculpt primitive that allows a map based on a low rez mesh to be produced in some modelers which can recreate that mesh in SL the mesh size is only 1024 vertexes though. there are some poser artists who are also doing textures and other items in SL, though as I said that is a totally seperate venture, and you are not likely to find stuff from Poser in SL. one thing that can be done in poser for SL is bvh files using the special poserized SL figures, these bvh files are used to animate figures in SL.

juliettejannings ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 8:05 AM

I thank you all so very much for your info on this.  I am not an artist at all and cannot even fathom the thought  of ever producing anything as creative as you guys all do here.  Your gallery is full of the most fantastic images and I love to come browse and see what is here.  I have been so inspired that I am seriously considering taking up digital art as a hobby bu thave no idea where to start.  What would you all recommend for a start?  Thanks again........

mickmca ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 8:55 AM

Re SL:  I wonder if the P2 figures are low res enough? Using them would give one a bit of a head start.

M

wdupre ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 1:07 PM

Quote - Re SL:  I wonder if the P2 figures are low res enough? Using them would give one a bit of a head start.

M

head start for what? you can't load any geometry into SL at all.

wdupre ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 1:33 PM

Quote - I thank you all so very much for your info on this.  I am not an artist at all and cannot even fathom the thought  of ever producing anything as creative as you guys all do here.  Your gallery is full of the most fantastic images and I love to come browse and see what is here.  I have been so inspired that I am seriously considering taking up digital art as a hobby bu thave no idea where to start.  What would you all recommend for a start?  Thanks again........

you could start by going over to Daz3d.com and downloading DAZ Studio, that is a free program which can use poser content, it comes with a package of content to start you off and give you a feel for how things work.

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 2:02 PM

Everything with the exception of textures that's in second life was made in second life. There are many tutorials on second life's website forums, and a wiki for second life as well. While in second life, there are classes taught daily, and locations for learning, liek the ivory tower of prims.

Use the second life resources available to you if you are interested in it.. going to daz studio will be a totally different animal.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 3:28 PM

I recall from the copyright fourm that it was pretty common for thieves to try to resell lo-res versions of our merchants' hair and clothing as 2nd life items. then they would make the legit owners jump thru hoops to get the illegal items removed. but check the copyright forum for more info, in case I remembered wrong.

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 3:31 PM

heck, I can't afford the 1st one..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

wdupre ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 3:38 PM

Quote - I recall from the copyright fourm that it was pretty common for thieves to try to resell lo-res versions of our merchants' hair and clothing as 2nd life items. then they would make the legit owners jump thru hoops to get the illegal items removed. but check the copyright forum for more info, in case I remembered wrong.

I think you are thinking SimCity.

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 3:47 PM

You can't import poser hair at all in second life.. you can't import ANY 3d object at all.. items in sl need to be made of primitives (prims).

You COULD import a hair transmap, and apply that to prims in second life, but the uv mapping would have to be similar to the uv maps of the prims in second life for it to work.

While some texture resources could be reused in SL, (think flat square plane based)  most could not.

mickmca ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 9:20 PM

I thought I had read about some sort of importing. Must have been Sims.
M

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2007 at 11:09 PM

Isn't the creator of this crazy thing in a law suit or something right now? I could have sworn I read something of the sort.

My Facebook Page

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2007 at 12:27 AM

Nah.. there have been some issues with things like gambling and th like, but they've been growing their rules as thier customer base grows as well.

Like everything else, some people have political agendas, and since you can do anything prety much ya want in sl, you hear noise abou tthat from time to time.

gagnonrich ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2007 at 9:33 AM

The only lawsuits I've heard about are SL residents trying to sell products made by SL content creators. 

As Garee has said, there's no way to import Poser Obj files or textures in any usable fashion for SL. BVH files are about the only things that can be stolen from outside SL.

There is money to be made by Poser content creators that take the time to use how to use the 3D resources inside the SL world. It mostly means starting from scratch, though texturing skills transfer much more easily because it's only a matter of adjusting to different UV mapping.

My visual indexes of Poser content are at http://www.sharecg.com/pf/rgagnon

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2007 at 11:11 AM

well, not MUCH money, unless you really invest big time in land, stores, and advertising. Most "good" products sell for $1200 Linden or less.. and 1200 is only $4 US. The majority of good faster selling products sell for $500l or less, or a buck or so US... and you'd have to sell a LOT of product in order to make up the amount you'd need to pay in advertising, stores, land n such.

In almost 10 months of selling a numbee of SL products, I've made maybe $100 US.. and when you look at advertising costs, land costs, store costs, build time, ect, that would mean I'm making like 10 cents an hour.

Yer not gonna get rich in SL, but it'll suck yer life away in no time, and if yer lucky, you can at least make back the costs of playing the game with items you sell.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2007 at 11:40 AM

yeah, gare - it was sims. those guys were as smart as a box o' rox IMVHO when it came to copyright law. like dealing with 6-yr-olds.

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2007 at 11:48 AM

LOL!

msdiva1 ( ) posted Sat, 01 December 2007 at 12:17 AM · edited Sat, 01 December 2007 at 12:24 AM

lol well I personally make my living playing sl...and have for the past 4 years. It is possible and no...I have never bought lindens or even spent out of pocket 1 penny. Belive me it happens. Theres just one problem, the resident numbers have multiplied by 1,000,000 literally since i started. Only original product, customer service & time can determine how sucessful you are. It wont happen overnight. When I say I make a living, I mean a SERRRRIOUS living. However it took some time, several tv interviews....news features.....rl magazine and millions of sl customers. Yes it may take a while to make money selling items for 300-500L but there are over 19 mill potential customers floating around SL...lol it adds up. Investing big bucks in land and putting tons of cash into advertising is a misconception. There are startigies for getting free advertizing which pays off far more then the paid advertising in most cases, and what you can do on 5 bucks a month is more then you can imagine...and doing it properly, 9:10 you will only pay that out of pocket 1 time. Dont give up...I am an SL celeb... With patience as with anything it can pay off but unrealistic expectations of finding your fortune there after a few months as the media portrays is the reason people draw the conclusion that its a lie...that it cant happen. Trust me, Im living proof that it does. Good Luck! :P

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 01 December 2007 at 12:28 AM

I visit SL from time to time.

Re: 3D content merchant opportunities inside of SL:

SL avatars and their clothes etc, are pretty much very lo-res, and it's somehow not very satisfying to see a lo-res ported-down version of poser content, even if that would work inside of SL.

Eternal Hobbyist

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 8:36 PM

*" there are some poser artists who are also doing textures and other items in SL"

*Would you point out any; I'm half willing to pay for a texture, to gain it's UV value?

wdupre ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 8:54 PM

to gain its uv value? not sure what you mean, uv maps are availible on the site for the figures.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 11:08 PM · edited Thu, 10 January 2008 at 11:09 PM

A-ha, thanks; I see there is a small treasure chest of 3D Second Life files, there!

wdupre ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2008 at 11:24 PM

yep, you can even load the avatars into poser and pose them, I believe that a lot of second life users use Poser to create animation sets to import into SL

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 1:22 AM

file_397328.jpg

"yep, you can even load the avatars into poser and pose them,"

Hmm, how does that go?  I see the avatar, in .OBJ format, but it's all one big still object; trying to use the Translate/Pull, or Twist, etc  moves the whole person, instead of a part(or kinematically.)

I'e been under the impression that this is becasue there are no parts, and/or bones in the .OBJ?  I think these could be added fairly easily, but how would one know where to put them so that they are the same as the game; specifically so that BVH motion files, from Poser, would have the same kinds of mechanics(and tricky stuff like Joint Parameters..?)

Anyhow check out this free V3 texture, from Valea, called Natasha; converted to the SL Avatar UVs, I just did!

wdupre ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 2:40 AM

there are cr2s that come with the .obj files in the avatar download zip.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 9:42 AM

Thanks, Will! 

Oh, awsome!  I peeked for them, but was'nt too surprised I did'nt see them.

Thanks again!

=  )

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.