Sun, Sep 15, 11:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: C6 cloud quality worse than C5?

tkane18 ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2007 at 10:26 AM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 2:37 AM

file_389308.jpg

I was having some issues with the way the clouds looked in C6. So I decided to do a comparison by rendering a C5 cloud file in C6. The clouds in the C6 render seem very grainy. The file actually contains only 1 cloud object which has been scaled larger. Anyone else notice this?

Paloth ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2007 at 11:31 PM

I suspect that the graininess is in some way connected to the high-speed defaults in Carrara 6. If you're after high quality you'll have to slow to Vue-like speeds.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

tkane18 ( ) posted Sat, 29 September 2007 at 12:08 AM

Even when I increased the quality, it didn't look like the C5 render.
In fact, it takes on a very waffle-like appearance.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2007 at 8:29 AM

I haven't been able to reproduce this but I think it's related to the new scaling in C6. C5 had one size only for it's environments. However, C6 now has three. Can you share what your settings are and I'll see what I can figure out. Mark

tkane18 ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2007 at 8:21 PM

Here's the file if someone wants to take a crack at it.

http://tkane18.googlepages.com/c5file

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2007 at 8:37 PM

Don't think you can make the .car file available that way?  Not in a zip at this forum either I think.

bwtr

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2007 at 10:01 PM

Got it. I'll take a look tomorrow. Mark

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2007 at 10:59 PM

I got to download the file! 

REALLY awaiting Marks answer.

That C5 file is grainy in any of the screen "Size" versions renders in C6. I swapped the sky with a new realistic in C6--same result--grainy?
It's a big worry I think that all those, many, C5 files (OF MINE!) may  also not be able to be properly worked on in the future in C6?
What else may be effected in all my many C5(and older) file saves?

bwtr

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2007 at 8:23 AM

Definitly something funky. It is tied to the scale/magnitude of the scene but I don't have work-around yet. There are some illogical numeric relationships that when adjusted, blow up the scene. tkane18, can I have your permission bundle this up and get it over to DAZ? Mark

tkane18 ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2007 at 8:43 AM

I tried to scale the clouds with the different scene scales/magnitudes and still got the same results.

Mark, go ahead and send that off to DAZ.  That was going to be my next step anyway but it might get more attention coming from you.

Thanks for the responses.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2007 at 9:04 AM

And away it goes... :D

mykyl ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2007 at 3:37 PM

All they will say is its meant to be like that.

They will then say 'Use large scale from the start as thats what its for...' etc etc etc. Pretty much all I got back for each issue I pointed out. Needless to say I dont expect anything good from the patch as 'thats the way its meant to be' type crap. Still dont like the 'extra' work for the bones in Carrara 6 and doing the bones in 5 and importing to 6 is not any better but.. 'Thats the way its meant to be and if you do about 500 extra things you can get it to look like it used to... hmmmm.

Anyone would think I was unhappy. ;)

Cheers

Mike R

DerkDorsten ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2007 at 3:50 PM

file_389929.jpg

Just changed the size and quality setting of the volumetric cloud and it comes out a lot better. One thing I noticed is that changing the size of the clouds and then setting it back to the original setting changes the the scene. Derk

fpfrdn3 ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2007 at 4:12 PM · edited Fri, 05 October 2007 at 4:14 PM

I will be watching this thread closely, as I will be doing some heavy cloud renders and landscaping with C6. By any chance, could this grainy effect be related to multi CPUs and C6? Maybe try render with just one core(maybe way off, worth a try?...I only have single core so I can't test). 😄

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2007 at 4:30 PM

If everything is authored in C6, it's not a problem. At this point, it's only an issue if you are importing a C5 scene.

tkane18 ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2007 at 3:38 PM · edited Wed, 10 October 2007 at 3:40 PM

file_390369.jpg

I think I figured something out.  I had the cloud scaled about 4200 in X and about 4800 in Y with only 100 in Z.  That seemed to work OK in C5 but not in C6.  If I bump up the Z scaling, the grain seems to go away.  It seems that X and Y can't be scaled much above a 2:1 ratio campared to Z.

As you can see in my screenshot, this is the same C5 file open in C6 with the only change being the Z scale parameter.  I'm happier now that I have figured it out.  Just something to be aware of.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.