Wed, Oct 2, 10:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: WARNING! The thin edge of the axe, 'camera free zones' proposed in Australian Fe

Boofy ( ) posted Sun, 14 October 2007 at 11:24 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 10:25 PM

Yes this is an Aussie petition so of no concern to many here???

I post it because if it can happen in a rather laid back country like australia then
photograpers, amature and pro as well as the industies like camera shops, tourism etc that rely on the humble camera are under
serious threat.

If you are aussie you may want to sign the petition (I have nothing to do with the company or the petition itself)
this was sent to all members of our photography club (KPS)from the president.
if you are from else where then this info is for you to keep an eye out for
simliar ploys to lump legitimate photographers in with 'securtity risks or involved in pedophilia'.

I hope we never see such things actually happening.

Jenny

EMAIL

Duncan Dodd of Maxwell Optical Industries Pty. Ltd.
writes: "Believe it or not, proposals to ban all
public photography are before a Federal Government
Committee in Australia. An online petition against
this is at
www.petitiononline.com/ausphoto/petition.html."

WEBSITE

*This is a petition to represent the concerns of all professional and amateur photographers within Australia.

We are concerned by suggestions raised in a Federal Parliament working committee that suggest public places should become "camera free zones". (Sunday Telegraph 11 March 2007)

The reasoning behind this suggestion relates to the recent incidents involving sneak cameras, in particular mobile phones and hidden cameras. As serious photographers we take great offence at having our hobby and/or livelihoods placed into disarray at the actions of a small minority. As a group we fully support any action taken to prevent these "sneak photos" which are a blatant invasion of a person's privacy.

By signing this petition we are requesting the following points be considered by this or any future working committee or legislative group, within State or Federal Parliament:

1. That the rights of legitimate photographers as members of the community be given precedence over the rights of small minority groups.
  2. That in all future working committees or discussion groups, fair and appropriate representation from photography groups and clubs be included.
  3. That any future legislation, whether offence or machinery sections, clearly indicates that the rights of serious photographers to photograph in public places, including beaches, are not to be affected by any such legislation.

We urge our elected representatives to take these points into consideration and represent all members of the community, including photographers.

(note to those signing this petition - please elect to have your email address available to the author or public to enable further updates on this matter. Thank you.)*

Sincerely,

<em> You might like to have a look at the web site and<br></br> add your signature to the petition.</em><br></br><br></br>****************************************<br></br><br></br>That is the story so far. I dont know what sites or areas are proposed, there are already a lot of bans<br></br>on photos of school activities in Victoria that i know of due to pedophilia concerns.<br></br>Some things I can understand the concern but I abhor being lumped in with <br></br>pedophiiles and crooks just because I enjoy photography.<br></br><br></br>Your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.<br></br><br></br>Jenny<br></br><br></br><br></br>

Radlafx ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2007 at 12:50 PM

This ban wont stop perverts from putting cameras on their shoes. There are still camera phones, watches and spy gear (like a remote controlled toy-helicopter which has a camera built-in with live-feed). Someone can still take photos from a private place (like a 15th floor balcony) with a sigmonster. It looks like the author just wants to scare you and give (the author) your email address.

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

Boofy ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2007 at 5:10 PM

Thanks Radlafx for your input, it is appreciated.

This is a tricky subject I know.

*It looks like the author just wants to scare you and give (the author) your email address. 

I am not sure of that. I think the author is known to our president as an ok bloke, but that thought had crossed my mind, I am going to suss it out at our next meeting but thought I would throw it in here to prompt discussion.

*This ban wont stop perverts from putting cameras on their shoes. There are still camera phones, watches and spy gear (like a remote controlled toy-helicopter which has a camera built-in with live-feed). Someone can still take photos from a private place (like a 15th floor balcony) with a sigmonster.

*If you look there is another thread here about a spy camera where the lens is in the side of the lens barrel so you can point at the horizon and snap unsuspecting victims at your side! Banning will not stop it I agree, trouble is I dunno what will?????

alhak ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2007 at 1:35 AM

I am always careful when taking photos in public, not to included anything that would be classed as intruding or voyerism.  To ban photos in public place would effect everyone, even those taking shots of their children at park birthday parties etc and then what about tourist who want to remember their holidays and places they have been to....I can't see that this will come into effect, perhaps they will just have to raise the fines or jail terms  for people sneaking candid shots. One such fellow here was caught at a local supermarket near me taking pics with his phone, when police went to his house they found he also had been stealing underwear and clothing from washing lines....PERVERT!

Tanchelyn ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2007 at 2:05 AM

Arnold Layne had a strange hobby
Collecting clothes
Moonshine washing line
They suit him fine

On the wall hung a tall mirror
Distorted view, see through baby blue
He dug it

etc...

Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd, 1967

Yeah...the moral majority...always looking forward to a new witch-hunt...

There are no Borg. All resistance is fertile.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.