Mon, Oct 21, 5:13 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 9:28 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Which do you think (in your opinion)......

ewxz ( ) posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 11:16 PM · edited Sun, 20 October 2024 at 1:25 AM

is the best or easiest 3d software to model a character for a 3d game?😄 <--- new guy here

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 11:25 PM

They all have potential in that regard.  Personally, I do all my modeling in Silo these days but that's not for everyone. Interfaces and workflow plays a big part in deciding which is "best" or "easiest"  for you.

Try 'em all and let your own opinion sort 'em out. :) 

Boofy ( ) posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 12:40 AM

Welcome to the nuthouse ewxz,

Try out some of the freebies and see what you like and dont like doing. Wings3d is my favourite but I also like caligari truespace, bryce and recently sketchup from google. I am only new to all this as well so I am not familiar with all the different programs.

Maybe giving an idea of what you want to model may narrow down the field. EG: realistic, toon, anime,  animals,  fantasy characters etc.....

Poppi ( ) posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 6:26 PM

I've been lightwaving for almost 7 years.  It was easy for me when I first got it....(I came from Rhino....1...lol).  All of them have different strengths and weaknesses.  I guess what I'm saying is....go with the one that you find easiest, most intuitive.

Also, regardless of which modeller you choose...look into getting a copy of zbrush.   HORRIBLE INTERFACE.....but, I think it actually has the "make art" button.

Gog ( ) posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 3:00 AM

I love 3ds Max and Blender, blender in particular has what many regard as an interface from hell, but I love it (and it's free...)

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

BlackHarmo ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2007 at 5:57 PM

Easiest and best for a 3D game, hence relatively low poly, I'd definitely add my voice to the Wings3D suggestion. It's actually used by a lot of modders (just check the forums of  the Mount&Blade game, for exemple), and even some professionals.

dogbite1066 ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2007 at 9:17 PM

Softimage XSI has a free mod tool. Blender does almost everything and is free. Like Gog said, it takes awhile to master. If all else fails try demo versions of different things until you find something comfortable.

bonestructure ( ) posted Mon, 05 November 2007 at 11:02 AM

Use whatever program has the best interface and workflow for you. They all model in essentially the same way. It all depends on which is easiest for you to use. I prefer Max, but Maya, Lightwave, XSI, Cinema 4D, any of them are just as good. I've seen tremedous work done in all of them.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 05 November 2007 at 9:27 PM

I use Hexagon mostly because I can model things quickly in it using just a few tools and I've been using Amapi for years which has a similar user interface.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

3denthusi ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2007 at 12:45 AM

many people say 3DS Max is good, so is Maya. i'm currently using Maya for my modelling...but i guess each person has his/her own preferences.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2007 at 8:13 PM

I trust 3dsmax with all my modeling requirements, and these days I even do most of my displacement and nomal map sculpting directing in-program instead of exporting to zbrush.  However, many of the more affordable applications seem to be able to get the job done just as well, especially for lower poly game models.  Wings seems to have some really good tools.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.