Thu, Sep 19, 4:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce is just a toy!

dhama ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 7:03 AM

Quote - I just saw a work by spacebones over at 3DCommune. A Thai landscape that was totally photorealistic and, according to spacebones, required no post processing.

:)

If you read their reply in the comments, you'll see that the background is 2d photos and not 3d terrain. In fact it seems that the forground is the only 3d element. But it is still a very decent piece of art.

dhama ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 7:06 AM

Quote - ***" Take a look at my gallery and then say that."

***Took a look .............Sorry,I stand by my opinion that vue  easel renders better and more realistic.
not here to argue about  it.

Cheers

Thats ok, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :-D

My argument was the fact that Bryce can be very close, even though I also think that Vue does it better.

deadwarrior ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 8:03 AM

*Quote - "I just saw a work by spacebones over at 3DCommune. A Thai landscape that was totally photorealistic and, according to spacebones, required no post processing.

:)"*

If you read their reply in the comments, you'll see that the background is 2d photos and not 3d terrain. In fact it seems that the forground is the only 3d element. But it is still a very decent piece of art.

*Damn! I didn't see that part. Oops, my bad :(

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, Come Inside, Come Inside."

"
Brain Salad Surgery"
Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Rochr ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 1:13 PM · edited Fri, 26 October 2007 at 1:14 PM

Quote -
if we compare Bryce to its Closest market competitor pricewise
VUE6 easel ( not infinate just easel), and you take away poser V-chicks etc.
and skilled modelors using other programs and stick purely to what comes
"straight from the box "
Bryce still falls short in the area of realistic landscapes,skies
plants and water in my opinion.
The vue renders just look better and more real to me
and Bryce still renders WAYY to slow.

Vue is a great landscape app, no doubt about that. But if we´re discussing work "out of the box", let´s not forget the modeling capabilities. I´ve tried working with Vue as well, but modeling in it is basically a freakin nightmare procedure. You just don´t get anywhere close to Bryce´s precision boolean modeling or the ease of its terrain editor.
This to me means a lot more than realism, because it makes the program far more useful, versatile and more complete.
Bryce is as good as you make it.

Regarding slowness, you really should try Maxwell render. Now there is a slow renderer. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 3:27 PM

Maxwell might be slower, but its results are also far superior in terms of image quality, even if you just use very basic settings and materials.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Rochr ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2007 at 2:32 AM

Quote - Maxwell might be slower, but its results are also far superior in terms of image quality, even if you just use very basic settings and materials.

Not necessarily. It´s actually quite easy to get really lousy results with that renderer as well. I´ve seen quite a few Maxwell-rendered pieces that could´ve been easily matched and overcomed with Bryce and a few radial lights. Of course it all bottoms down to the user, but that´s the "no such thing as instant excellence" i was referring to in my previous post. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Incarnadine ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2007 at 9:31 PM

I know Cinema4D doesn't have any instant excellence settings!

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

Boofy ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2007 at 10:28 PM

I'm still a heretic newbie at most things, but I thought that if you want to raise Bryce's profile then maybe all the "great artists" listed above could bombard the magazines etc to show what this wonderful app can do. If the users dont make noises who will?

i came to this wonderful world from Truespace through the B4 freebie  on a magazine disc.

It is my secret (so dont tell anyone) dream to make a movie of the sci fi series I am making by using the applications and information I have gained from here....probably in a couple of centuries or so. I see bryce as the major tool for creating my worlds and as much as I dabble in other heretic programs I looove bryce and think the other world creators are way too messy for my liking. (The Cardinal may even think about forgiving my lapses one day)

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2007 at 11:46 PM

You know i signed up on a 3d desktop wallpaper site the other day and i found it great that the guy running the site advises people that are only starting out and want to do some fantastic 3d wallpapers should get bryce. His reasoning for this advice was bryce is an easy program to learn and use and it gives you a full range to use for turning out wallpapers.

Now strange as it may seem but the 3d wallpapers was what got me interested in bryce to start with after reading on some sites that it was one of the programs which they used, if anyone ever thinks bryce is a toy then they need to look into learning everything about the program and what it is capable of doing..gee even saw a mind blowing animation on youtube that was done in bryce 4...so mind blowing that i had to watch it twice to make sure i wasn't seeing things.

Now do not disturb me, i'm doing something with meatballs in bryce.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Boofy ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2007 at 12:26 AM

Now metaballs is something that confused the living daylights out of me! I could not understand them in truespace and had no better luck in bryce so I hope you have fun Crazy Dawg.

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2007 at 1:37 AM

Boofy metaballs are great fun, its amazing what you can do with them. it takes time but i enjoy trying different things out till something hmmm strange forms.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Boofy ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2007 at 6:25 PM

Hmmmm, fun.....ok I will give it another go. If you hear a big ruckus going on in Melbourne, it is me trying to tame the savage beasts!!! :scared:

dhama ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2007 at 4:17 AM

Meta balls are great, but I haven't been able to use them in Bryce 6 as it crashes the moment I use more than 2. Works fine in 5.5

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2007 at 6:38 AM

Well i haven't put bryce 6.1 on my computer, got it but still staying with 5.5 for now till i find my interests perks up enough to install the newer version..

Doom Dancer ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2007 at 1:00 PM

I knew a guy that looked down his nose at me because I used Bryce as my "meat and potatos" renderer.  He had 3DSMAX.  He showed me all the features...told me what Bryce could not do, and his program could.  I simply nodded, waiting for him to finish his diatribe.  When he had finished and smugly looked at me for some "feeble newbie" response I simply smiled at him and said "I use that toy to make a living and extra money.  How much money have you made?"  He had no answer.

It all boils down to if Bryce can do what you  need it to do and you can output high enough quality render for print...what does it really matter?

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2007 at 5:32 PM

glad to hear it. it doesn't matter what tools you use as long as you can do the job!

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 06 November 2007 at 11:55 PM · edited Tue, 06 November 2007 at 11:57 PM

Quote - Is it me or is Bryce just considered a beginners 3D app?

Bryce 2 was king back in 1996, passing Vista Pro which was king in 1993.  Vue 3 caught up with Bryce 4 and then Vue 4 passed Bryce 5.  Then Vue 5 became king.  Now Terragen 2 (with GeoControl) is showing some promise as the next king.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

dhama ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2007 at 12:08 AM

Actually I wonder how many Bryce users out there that would be using it if it had never been free in any form....

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2007 at 12:13 AM

More people used Bryce when it was $199 than when it was free.  More people used Amapi 6 when it was $399 than when it was free.  More people pay for and use 3D Max and Maya than use the PLE versions.  Free means time to buy the newer version to keep up with things.

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2007 at 2:22 AM · edited Wed, 07 November 2007 at 2:27 AM

Quote - Actually I wonder how many Bryce users out there that would be using it if it had never been free in any form....

Free, i started using bryce back in..oh well look at the date i joined this site and you'll see how long its been...back then bryce wa around $99USd from Daz if memory serves me correct..i have never used bryce before that even though i still have a disk with bryce 3 or 4 i think it is on there which was free..

Shonner, i believe the only way you can say which program is or will be king is its whatever people chose to use and like which they will crown king. As for VUE, i used it and in all honesty if the learning curve wasn't so hard then maybe i would still be using it..I can guess that you'll say its not that hard to learn but when you are my age and on that many meds and painkillers trying to learn something like VUE becomes a near impossibility.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2007 at 2:33 AM

Vue 5 and 6 are easy to learn using the Revealed book.

scottl ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2007 at 3:09 AM

sadly i will never be able to afford what is commonly considered a real piece of art software. I used bryce from Version4. It is easy to learn and somewhat powerfull. There are things that bryce does for you that the pro programs ask you to take care of. More control but more work and a higher curve. 
 I love the render in Carrara yet there is sonmething about the atmos in Bryce.
 Lol, i never do understand why it matters what you use, as long as what you end up with is good product............

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2007 at 3:23 AM

bryce is real also. By the way, if you can in any way cheat urself into being applicable for a student license.. u might be able to get quite some discount on more expensive softwares ;-) if u feel u might need them anyways.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2007 at 3:26 AM · edited Wed, 07 November 2007 at 3:28 AM

Quote - i never do understand why it matters what you use, as long as what you end up with is good product............

Top marks goes to Scott, well said. 

anyway its back to trying to solve my lighting problem in daz studio...

Gog ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2007 at 4:28 AM

Having used Max, one of those top end packages (and Blender for almost a year now), there are somethings that are so much easier to do, but somethings that are so much harder! Try making a tree in Max and you'll know what I mean :)

All said and as many here have said art is down to the artist not the tool, so I guess that means there's no hope for me until someone does produce something with a make it look good button :)

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

FLYN ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 7:19 AM

Bryce is a tool just like any other.It isnt bad it isnt good. Users who badmouth it have a lot of insecurity issues.What if you just need a landscape to put your figures in? Do you need to study 3dsmax from the ground up when  there's a software that can do it for you? 

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 10:59 AM · edited Thu, 15 November 2007 at 10:59 AM

Quote - ...Try making a tree in Max and you'll know what I mean :)...

That's what Carrara is for, and Vue x-stream.😉
Someday I hope Bryce will be able to export trees too. :)

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

dhama ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 12:12 PM

I must admit to hating Bryce trees, 👎 they look far too cartoonish for my liking. I prefer to use trees made to look like trees (sorry if that makes me a heretic cardinal Biggles :rolleyes: ), not generic ones that don't look like trees whatever you do with them....and thats my opinion, but if anyones happy with them, then power to you.
Thanks to Designfera who does make exceedingly realistic trees. 👍

Gog ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 4:31 AM

Quote - > Quote - ...Try making a tree in Max and you'll know what I mean :)...

That's what Carrara is for, and Vue x-stream.😉
Someday I hope Bryce will be able to export trees too. :)

Kind of the point I was trying to make most people need to have a few tools in the box, not just one, even it is high end, you still need other tools to support you where needed.

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

Bambam131 ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 3:27 PM

Attached Link: Home Page!

I really had a great time reading all the comments about Bryce but, I also use this program quite a bit for my clients and have never had any complaints about the final output. I still think its all about how you use the program and your own imagination. Just my 2 cents worth.......

David

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2007 at 5:41 PM

Quote - .gee even saw a mind blowing animation on youtube that was done in bryce 4...so mind blowing that i had to watch it twice to make sure i wasn't seeing things.

I'd love to know which one - most of the ones I've seen on there are just variations on the fly by, fly past/ and even fly through!

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

dhama ( ) posted Sat, 24 November 2007 at 12:20 PM

Quote - .....More people pay for and use 3D Max and Maya than use the PLE versions. .

How did I miss this LOL, you made my day... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.