Fri, Oct 4, 3:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Ghosts... how?

Seliah ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 2:23 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 1:32 PM

file_393668.jpg

HOW can this be achieved in a poser render?

What I've got is this image - I want the figure/clothes/etc of the one on the left to basically look like a ghost, or at the least as if it's immaterial.

NORMALLY, I would just render the scene as and export as a .png without any background (as this was set up to do), but it seems that any time I export a png from Poser7 to Corel (or even Photoshop), it comes in with NO TRANSPARENCIES, so this isn't possible for me to do it the way I would normally. :(I don't know WHY my png's aren't picking up their transparencies. They darn well should. But they're not. I can't figure that out, either.

So.. I'm kinda stuck trying to come up with a way to do this in Poser, as whenever I try to remove the background colour from around the figures via corel it just looks like garbage as I simply can't get to the exact pixel it needs to look like a clean render.

So.. is there any way to do this through the material room, possibly a shader or procedural textures or something of that nature? Buying a shader pack is out of the question for me at the moment, I'm trying to figure out how to do this, and banging my head into a wall. LOL

If only the stupid .png's would come into my image editor with their transparencies proper.... SIGHS

~ Seliah

BecSchm ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 2:42 AM

Render one image with both figures, and one with just the figure on the right, then blend together the two layers in PS, messing around with the transparency until you get what you want.  That might be one way to do it.

Seliah ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 2:47 AM · edited Sun, 18 November 2007 at 2:49 AM

Yeah, I can't do that, though, because the bloody sharding PNG's are NOT exporting out of poser with transparency... and when I try to manually remove the background colour it looks like hell. Rendering with the background image loaded into poser, and setting it to render over background image also does not work. It INSISTS on rendering over the background COLOUR, regardless of the fact that 'render over background image' is selected..

Tried it with a one sided square, and loading my background for it onto the square, but that warps the background image badly, as well. I need my layers. :(  REALLY need my layers. LOL

Otherwise, this would have been as simple as layers in the first place. :(

Seliah ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 2:52 AM

sigh

Nevermind, guys. I'm sorry. It seems that Poser will ONLY export png's properly when the Firefly engine is used to render. If rendering with Firefly, png's come into image editor just fine. If rendering with the P4 engine, it exports the sharding .png the same way as it would a bloody .jpg.

Nevermind... >.<; 

goes to hide in a corner LOL

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 7:59 AM

why not go into the material room, then up (increase) the transparency on the materials of the ghost? just an idee

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

BecSchm ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 8:16 AM

? not sure why you need the png's?  If you layer 2 separate images together in PS with, say, 50 % or 75% transparency on the top layer, (with figure you want as the ghost not visible in the top layer), you should be able to use any format, such as bmp or jpg or anything PS or PSP can open. 

Kalypso ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 8:20 AM
Site Admin

How about saving as a .tif? 

Seliah ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 9:25 AM

Quote - why not go into the material room, then up (increase) the transparency on the materials of the ghost? just an idee

Ja, that's what I'm playing with at the moment... thus far, though, the results are less than stellar. LOL I think it'll work, I just have to find the right combination of settings in the mat room...

• seliah

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 10:25 AM

Maybe this will help?????

Olivier's Ghost FX Tutorial 
http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum/messages.php?ShowMessage=340509

**Render layers!!! Ghosting FX!
**http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum/messages.php?ShowMessage=329443

Quote - HOW can this be achieved in a poser render?

What I've got is this image - I want the figure/clothes/etc of the one on the left to basically look like a ghost, or at the least as if it's immaterial.

NORMALLY, I would just render the scene as and export as a .png without any background (as this was set up to do), but it seems that any time I export a png from Poser7 to Corel (or even Photoshop), it comes in with NO TRANSPARENCIES, so this isn't possible for me to do it the way I would normally. :(I don't know WHY my png's aren't picking up their transparencies. They darn well should. But they're not. I can't figure that out, either.

So.. I'm kinda stuck trying to come up with a way to do this in Poser, as whenever I try to remove the background colour from around the figures via corel it just looks like garbage as I simply can't get to the exact pixel it needs to look like a clean render.

So.. is there any way to do this through the material room, possibly a shader or procedural textures or something of that nature? Buying a shader pack is out of the question for me at the moment, I'm trying to figure out how to do this, and banging my head into a wall. LOL

If only the stupid .png's would come into my image editor with their transparencies proper.... SIGHS

~ Seliah

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 11:24 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=489295&member

One I did ages ago in P4.  Separate renders comped together in Photoshop.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Boni ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 11:37 AM

I did the same thing ... just layering jpgs in Photoshop with this image. 
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1249151
I added the outglow to emphasize.  :)
Boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Seliah ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 1:24 PM

Mariner -

Yeah, I tried that.. I couldn't get it to work for me. All it did was render a desaturated set of figures when I tried it. Followed those step by step and to the letter. LOL That was the first place I looked, as I remember when that thread first went up. ^_^

Thanks, guys. I got it... finally. I've been fussing at this for about three days now. :p But I finally got it... much appreciated.

~ Seliah

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 1:32 PM

Quote - Maybe this will help?????

Olivier's Ghost FX Tutorial 
http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum/messages.php?ShowMessage=340509

**Render layers!!! Ghosting FX!
**http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum/messages.php?ShowMessage=329443

Thanks for that! I missed that one :)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Tiari ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 9:05 PM

Take the render into photoshop.  make a new duplicate layer, use the eraser with a 25 percent opacity over one figure.  Go to the original, delete that layer.  voila.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.