Mon, Sep 23, 11:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 7:15 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: I Did My Good Deed for the Day!

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 9:00 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 11:20 AM

A few weeks ago I found a flash drive in my building. I was on my way out and put it into my purse and promptly forgot about it. I found it today and decided to see if anything was on it that identified the owner.

There is gigs and gigs of files on it that looked important. Something to do with new immigrants and small business grants etc.  Lots of sensitive and personal client information from what I saw while trying to locate a number to call.

I nosed around the correspondence folder to see if I could find a phone number of the owner. Unfortunately the number was not in service. Finally I found a letter with a heading on it that included the name of the company and looked them up in the phone book.

They are picking it up tomorrow. They were beside themselves when they were notified that the girl had lost it and are very grateful to be getting it back.

I wonder if I should hold it for ransom? :sneaky:  😉 :tongue2:

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

prixat ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 11:09 AM

Attached Link: BBC News - missing CDs

Have you run across a couple of CDs? Just thought I'd ask on the off-chance :biggrin:

regards
prixat

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 11:46 AM

what was the country of origin of the immigrants? be cautious if they seek any extra-ordinary further contacts with you, other than to thank you for your help.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 12:54 PM

Quote - what was the country of origin of the immigrants? be cautious if they seek any extra-ordinary further contacts with you, other than to thank you for your help.

They seem like a decent company according to their website. It's  non-profit and says:

Quote - is a non-profit agency that works to combat poverty and assists in the renewal of Winnipeg's inner city. We do this by helping individuals and groups start small businesses and save money for future goals. We offer business management training and individual consulting, access to micro-enterprise loans, asset building programs, and more.

They are even listed on our Government Website as having received an Economic Development Partnership Agreement with the Government.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 1:32 PM

Quote - A few weeks ago I found a flash drive in my building. I was on my way out and put it into my purse and promptly forgot about it. I found it today and decided to see if anything was on it that identified the owner.

Err, unless you have a non-Windows operating system to view it with, I wouldn't stick someone else's geek stick into any Windows-based computer  that I owned if I were you...

Many companies hire folks to do penetration and security testing on their systems... and a common trick (by both testers and hacker types) is to leave a geek stick laying around where employees can get at it. Windows, being the most common OS, is the most targeted.

It only takes a quick jack-in to compromise your computer that way.

/P

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 2:02 PM

Quote - Err, unless you have a non-Windows operating system to view it with, I wouldn't stick someone else's geek stick into any Windows-based computer  that I owned if I were you...

Too late. But I'll remember that for next time. Thanks for the tip :)

In this case the flash drive appears to be legit.  It was lost in my apartment  building, which is where I found it. Apparently the girl who lost it lives in the same building.  So I'm not concerned about hackers. 

bobbystahr ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 5:31 PM

Way t go Linda...real good attitude...very Canadian.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 10:54 PM

Quote - Way t go Linda...real good attitude...very Canadian.. ...

It was an 8 gig drive and had over 3 gigs of content on it.  I know some would have just erased it and considered it theirs, but I couldn't in good conscience do that.  I know it sounds dumb but I kept apologizing to the company and the girl when she picked it up, for having had to look in the files given the sensitive nature of the files. But it was the only way I could find the owner.

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 28 November 2007 at 11:12 PM

Dont apologize. If the files were not encrypted at all, they are just asking for them to ne nicked.

kjer_99 ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 11:04 AM

I dislike the last attitude expressed.  Just becuse a thing may be "asking to be nicked" doesn't mean that we should read it.  However, in this case, I don't see how you had any choice, if you were going to find the owner's identity.  Good for you for returning it and good for you for apologizing for having to read private information.  Both were the correct thing to do.  

Jeremy

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.