Sun, Oct 6, 9:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: I thought Vue 6 was not backward compatible to Vue 5 scenes! It IS!!

Lyne ( ) posted Mon, 03 December 2007 at 8:42 PM · edited Sun, 18 August 2024 at 9:36 PM

I just (for the heck of it) OPENED a vue 5 scene - my split water platypus and armadillo vue 5 scene...and it opened up and rendered right in vue 6 just fine! I did see it kept the vue 5 render settings... and it looks GREAT on my LCD... (all started when a friend asked if my pictures from before looked the same as with vue 6....and I said, why don't I just try to open a vue 5 scene!?)

That vue 5 scene has solid growth plants - that are vue 5 format...(Linda's Lush ones) and some vue 5 ground materials....older things... I never did anything special in saving back then (though now I see vue 6 has a save option: include materials or however it is worded).... but WOW!! I can play with older stuff ( mainly not have to set up my spit screen water scenes) again for new scenes in 6!!

Was I dreaming that it was not backward compatible? I did get a question box on installing my vue 6, asking something about vue 5 - objects I think it was, and I said yes...something about compatibilty... but I was SURE (with me that is never really a sure thing.. LOL!) that we were told nothing was compatible!?!?

HAPPY HAPPY!!! 

And I am finding just the right render settings to please my LCD monitor for water and clouds...so vue 6 (THANK YOU KEN! ;) IS PULLING ME AWAY from vue 5 more and more...of course I know I cannot GROW an OLD solid growth in vue 6... but I bet Linda's plants do work in it... as I think they are for both?

anyway... sure is making my "flu bug" easier to take...all this fun with vue 6 and now knowing was worth the wait and worth my SUPER COMPUTER ... and Vista 32 bit too, no less!!

More happy! :D

Lyne

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

eldritch48 ( ) posted Mon, 03 December 2007 at 9:19 PM

Yeah, you were dreaming...wouldn't make a lot of sense to create a new version that wasn't compatible with the version directly before it, would it?  You can't create a spectral atmo in 6 and put it back into 5, but otherwise, they work just fine together, and overall, 6 is MUCH better.

diolma ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 5:15 PM

"wouldn't make a lot of sense to create a new version that wasn't compatible with the version directly before it, would it?"

Ummm... try telling that to the producers of a certain very-well-known Operating System.....

Cheers,
Diolma

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 6:31 PM

You cannot save Vue 6 files in Vue 5 format and you cannot open a Vue 6 file in Vue 5, as far as I know.  That is being backward compatible.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

eldritch48 ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 6:58 PM

I suppose that makes it "forewards compatible."  I've never tried opening a v6 file in v5, so I'll take your word for it.  It certainly goes the other way though! 

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 7:11 PM

Forward compatible would be (on purpose) making Vue 6 files that we save now able to be opened in a future Vue 7, the common sense approach.  :)

Otherwise, everyone here would cry when they get Vue 7.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.