Sun, Sep 22, 2:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Customers

Welcome to the MarketPlace Customers Forum

Forum Moderators: tim, msansing, ebasham

MarketPlace Customers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 8:32 am)

Contact and Support Information:

To reach our Marketplace staff, please open a support ticket at
support.renderosity.com

Our goal is to respond to support tickets within 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Subject: Junk flooding the Renderosity market

chris1972 ( ) posted Sat, 01 December 2007 at 7:49 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 2:18 PM

I visit renderosity on a regular basis and have noticed what I believe is a dramatic increase in embarrassingly amateuristic products flooding the pages of Renderosity. I have spent months developing a new product for sale and am coming to the realization that if my product doesn't become a best seller overnight, it will be many, many pages deep in a heartbeat! 
Renderosity seems to be very concerned with quality when it comes to product functionality as it pertains to coding and copyright issues (as it should be), but seems to offer no screening as to the artistic / visual quality of the products that it sells. It seems to me the reputation of any store be it physical or internet based is largely a reflection of the products it sells. I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that art is very subjective in nature but come on. I would think in the interest of maintaining the integrity and quality of your enterprise you would want to maintain the quality of the products you sell. If these products are selling and adding to your bottom line then my comments are just so much hot air. But I cant help but believe they will hurt you in the long run.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sat, 01 December 2007 at 7:55 AM

it must be in the name ...
But i think your right.

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

gillbrooks ( ) posted Sat, 01 December 2007 at 8:41 AM

I've given up creating Poser products - as you say, the market is flooded.

I've moved over to creating Vue content, which is my favourite programme anyway.  It's much more enjoyable and rewarding.

I still doubt I'll ever be in the top sellers list, but I'm now creating what I want to create, not what I think I should be making purely because this site is so Poser orientated.

That still doesn't help you if you're wanting to create Poser products....just felt like throwing in my '2pennerth'   ;-)

Gill

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 01 December 2007 at 8:55 AM · edited Sat, 01 December 2007 at 9:00 AM

I agree with you completely.  There seems to be no "quality control" here when it comes to the MP and that so long as you have the proper documentation to set up a store that anyone and their mother can start selling.

It seems that more people are getting into Poser in order to start up a "business" to make some extra cash for themselves. I've seen many posts here and at other sites where the person has only had the program for a few months and are already asking questions about how to set up a store.

If you look at sites such as RNDA, Poser Pros, Daz, Content Paradise and even 3D Commune, the quality of items is consistent because they appear to have quality control in place to ensure that they are selling top quality products; not just products that are in the proper runtime structure with a readme that is in order.

I made a post in the last few months about how so many character packages these days look like  they have plastic skin or the clothing texture is made from smooth paper.

From what I can see there looks like there is over 2000 vendors at this site. How can any one vendor compete in that? The reality is that they can't. I know when I shop I tend to buy from the same vendors each time because I know the items that they produce to sell are top quality.  An MP is not the place to allow people to practice and  "hone their skills;" that's what the freebie sections are for.

I've also heard a rumour that there have been some revisions to the clearance section and that vendors can now opt out of their products going into clearance. However, if they opt out and their products don't sell within a 3 month period the item is booted from the store.

Like I said, it's just a rumour I heard, maybe a store admin can confirm that?  

If  that change is true it would be good customer service to announce the change in the  news letter.

Currently many are pushed to buying  something in their wishlist when they see the item gone into clearance and know that they may soon not be able to buy it because it will be leaving the store. If they don't know about the change, one day they will look in their wishlist and the item will just be gone.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

StaceyG ( ) posted Sat, 01 December 2007 at 11:45 AM

Moving this to the more appropriate forum (Customer Support Forum)

macatelier ( ) posted Sat, 01 December 2007 at 4:58 PM

I agree too. In particular the market place is flooded with V4 characters, not just here but in other stores too. It would make sense to me if there was some quality control here so that the high quality characters are not pushed to the back of beyond by the numerous sub-standard ones. Not everybody is into V4 either - I for one don't particularly like her (her eyes are just awful), but that's besides the point.

surreality ( ) posted Sun, 02 December 2007 at 3:37 PM

Quote - I've also heard a rumour that there have been some revisions to the clearance section and that vendors can now opt out of their products going into clearance. However, if they opt out and their products don't sell within a 3 month period the item is booted from the store.

That's not a rumor. We can opt out of clearance and choose to have items deleted if they don't sell within the clearance period if we choose. Until now, people normally just requested to have clearance items removed from the store when they went into clearance and it was done for them by the admins. The only real change here is that the process is automated from what I can tell, instead of a vendor noticing something with a little red C and asking the MP admins to remove it manually. Realistically, you can argue that people agree to the clearance terms now when they submit an item to be brokered here, but bear in mind that the clearance system is removing many older items that predate the clearance system, so I can easily imagine why their creators may not wish to have them selling for a clearance price without their direct consent. Also, a handful of months ago, it was mentioned that the count of active vendors was around the mid 1400s. Some have come and gone since then. While high, it's still well under 2000 unless something much more dramatic has changed.

-D
---
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye texture.

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 02 December 2007 at 6:57 PM · edited Sun, 02 December 2007 at 6:59 PM

The clearance section and forced removal of items is the death of niche high quality niche items that sell but not on a daily basis.

I don't understand why items have to be forced out of the store period! I think it's a bad idea.  Yes, the clearance and forced removal takes care of much of the lesser quality stuff but it also affects the niche items.  If server space is an issue, iIf  they had some kind of quality control in place they wouldn't have to force products out of the store to begin with.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

turtleheart ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2007 at 2:41 PM

I think I will have to disagree here.  I think Rendo does a pretty good job or filtering out poor or amateuristic products.  There are a few things that are questionable in the 2D division but I believe that everyone deserves a chance to try to sell a product.  If the product is not good, it won't sell and eventually the vendor will decide to either make better products or get out of the business.  Yes, the market is flooded with V4 characters and thank goodness this is so.  A flooded market keeps the prices down.  Mattel has the market flooded with toys, builders have the market flooded with new homes and I could go on and on here.  I can't think of one reason why Rendo or any other digital art store should not be flooded with merchandise.  The more merchandise there is, the more I can buy and spending money is what makes the vendors money and which in turn makes me money and everybody gets happy.  Give the amateurs a chance.  We all had to start somewhere.

TH

SolidusSoft ( ) posted Wed, 12 December 2007 at 9:45 AM

I disagree there turtleheart... for example:

If i'd be releasing a product wich took me about a month, sometimes longer to produce to top quality, and with 2 days it's sunken so far away in the recent products list, by all kinds of duplicatic products like another skin or texture for V4 that is not really new, or some props with low poly's and low res textures, or worse no texturemaps... then it's not good for me, or the person behind the great product.  If customers can't find quality products, or can only find garbage-like (freestuff quality) they won't keep on browsing hoping for one quality product.

I have an idea... why not make a directory with products of $2.50 price for the lower quality (decided by Renderosity in testing period), so we can have them all on a big pile of cheap crap, and the quality products start with $5 ;)

bazze ( ) posted Wed, 12 December 2007 at 4:06 PM

Quote -
I have an idea... why not make a directory with products of $2.50 price for the lower quality (decided by Renderosity in testing period), so we can have them all on a big pile of cheap crap, and the quality products start with $5 ;)

that's a bold statement from somebody who makes low detail stuff.

www.colacola.se

SolidusSoft ( ) posted Wed, 12 December 2007 at 4:47 PM

Quote - > Quote -

that's a bold statement from somebody who makes low detail stuff.

That's a bold statement from somebody that makes crappy airplanes...
yeah let's bash people personally... that's not the point here, first of all, they are high detailed, my stuff and see for yourself :p... secondly, it was just an idea, not a statement, for christ sake!

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Fri, 14 December 2007 at 12:45 PM

I have to agree with the low quality in some products here at the MP.
I buy from the Merchants that I know make top quality.
Lately you get characters for V4, it says with clothe, the clothe are badly made, they look like those paper cut out clothes we used as kids, thin and just not worth paying for.

For someone who just starts out modeling maybe the freebie section would be a good starting place to see how many actually want the item and go from there and improve.
Raindroptheelf.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.