Sat, Sep 21, 2:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:48 pm)

Subject: How to save transparent from render window?

Phantera ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 5:39 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:02 PM

Its been awhile since I set my Poser 6 to save as transparent png.  I have friends however that are new to Poser and have asked me how to do this. I cannot remember as its been over a year.

Now even though they are saving as .png they are still getting a gray background. I know its simple but for the life of me cannot remember how to do it.

Anyone?

Edited to add: this is for saving a render.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 5:59 PM

Just save as PNG from the render.  It will load into Photoshop without a background.  Provided you rendered without a background, that is.

I use P6 and never had a moment's problem with saving PNG.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 6:01 PM

All you do is click "Export" and save as a .png file.

If they still get a background it's because there graphic program isn't supporting the transparent alpha channel for some reason.  Some of the earlier beta versions of Paint Shop Pro IE: 7.0 and 8.0 had problems, but patching up to 7.04 and 8.1 fixed it.

If they are using PSP and need the patches, I can dig out the links and post them.

But so far as I know there is nothing to set in Poser to get it to save .png files with a transparent alpha channel.  I believe it's an automatic process.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

coocooFORcocoapuffs ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 9:43 PM

Hi there, I posted this question as well a few days back; i am on a mac and i was confused as well - as Preview in Leopard does not support the png transparency (shows up gray) or maybe it does, and it's just a coincidence that the gray back in preview is the same gray back as in poser! Exported png's ARE transparent, but even Bridge and Finder shows them with a white background instead of showing thru whatever color is beneath. I guess programmers of apps had to decide how to portray transparent images, and it's not consistent. But not much in life is, like the availability of electricity in this country. We are going to have 11 hours of outage per day, all on an insane rotating changing schedule...

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 9:53 PM

You can also save the image as a .png or a .tiff file and apply the image to itself as a mask in your graphic program. That will get rid of the background too. Remember the delete the mask layer though so you can work on the original image minus the background.

coocooFORcocoapuffs ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 10:11 PM

Acadia, that's an interesting point, I assumed that if u saved as .psd, that in photoshop it would come in as layers, with at least one of them being transparent. But it does not, not in CS3 on a mac however. I would love to see that feature in Poser v.next...each figure placed on it's own transparent layer...

Phantera ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 11:32 AM

Ahhh ok, she has psp7 so I bet that is the problem.  Thanks for replying :)

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 2:47 PM

Quote - Ahhh ok, she has psp7 so I bet that is the problem.  Thanks for replying :)

She can go to this link and get a patch to update the version to 7.04. That version does handle transparent alpha channels. It's the version that I use most often.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/graphics/paintshop-7.html

Phantera ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2008 at 10:24 AM

Thank you so much! I will give her that link :D

Propschick ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2008 at 10:37 AM

That's what I had to do as i have psp 7

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.