Thu, Oct 3, 9:15 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Cool old Poser freebies (probably mostly gone)

gagnonrich ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 4:14 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 9:13 AM

file_397369.jpg

I have no idea if any of these Poser freebies are still anywhere on the net. I thought it might be neat to remind the community of what used to be around. If anybody has been downloading stuff as long as I have, they may want to dig through their disks to pull some of these out for new images.

These were downloaded sometime around and before Dec 2000. Some of the items, such as the SAFS2 space suit, could easily be used today with minimal texture reworking. I know that Thorne's old fairies are no longer available, though he has considered updating and releasing them.

As a reminder to folks creating new freebies, make sure that the readmes are clear on whether these items can continue being shared in the future.

My visual indexes of Poser content are at http://www.sharecg.com/pf/rgagnon

gagnonrich ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 4:17 PM

file_397370.jpg

Here's more from my first disk of saved Poser freebies. The scubadiver is probably Anthony Appleyard's and should still be available. I really like the WOTW Martian war machine.

gagnonrich ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 4:42 PM

file_397373.jpg

These are from my second saved disk downloaded also sometime around and before Dec 2000.

It's interesting how the Leon P4 Male figure looks like a precursor to DAZ's Hiro. This isn't a copyright issue as much as both drawing from the same anime sources. It does show the versatility of the old P4 figure.

gagnonrich ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 4:47 PM

file_397374.jpg

This is also from the first disk and has some nice looking animal, fantasy and scifi figures.

Is it worth posting more nostalgic Poser items? These represent probably only about a tenth of what are on the disks. I've fallen behind on indexing my new paid stuff, so it will be a while before I get back to indexing these older disks completely.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 6:02 PM

Can you remember where the SAFS2 was from?  I had it, lost it, never found it again.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 6:27 PM · edited Fri, 11 January 2008 at 6:31 PM

I've seen the brass bed from the first image.  Either that exact one or one very similar. Can't recall what site though.

I've seen the MHair in the second picture too.  And I think the Blue Bird and Cardinal are still available from Ken Gilliand's site.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Zak666Williams ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 7:03 PM

the blue and red birds are still on Content paradise i belive..

Faery_Light ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 7:33 PM

In the 2nd from bottom picture, the black, shoulder length hair is Morph Hair from Kozaburo. :) I have it in my runtime. One model is the centaur Vic but I don't know who owns it...sigh.

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

infinity10 ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 9:31 PM

Never seen these before.  Interesting.

Eternal Hobbyist

Dajadues ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 9:48 PM · edited Fri, 11 January 2008 at 9:51 PM

Have you tried Poser free stuff? If you dig really deep
enough you might find some real old freebies still lying around.

I prefer the old stuf myself, nice and simple renders.

gagnonrich ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2008 at 11:09 PM

The readme for SAFS2 lists this website
www.pygott.demon.co.uk/hash.htm
I haven't tried the above address to see if it's still active.

The brass bed was by PhilC.

Acadia is right that the bluejay is from Ken Gilliand. It's based on the cardinal model by Chris Johnson instead of the Songbird and copyrighted 1999, so that makes it nearly a decade old.

BluEcho is right about the Kozaburo hair.

The centaur was from Nerd and uses the P4 Female figure. Nerd's site is still around (not  mentioned in the readme) but there's a chance the figure still is still available.

Everybody should feel free to post some classics from their runtimes. I was lucky enough to get into Poser with version 4, but I probably missed out on a lot of downloads for the earlier version. Then again, there may not have been too much readily available since the internet was only starting to get into public usage a decade ago. It's amazing how something can become so widespread in that short a time.

Some of the readmes have email addresses, but I'm not sure if they're okay to post in this forum. Who knows if the email addresses are still the same. I'd imagine that the majority of people no longer have the same email address they had a decade ago. With SAFS2, the email address uses the same domain. 

Kenmac ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 1:58 AM

It's funny you bring this up because for the past couple of days I've been going through my old CDs of Poser stuff. I'm currently up to 30 CDs and 5 DVDs.:woot: One thing I can't find on my CDs though is an old model made by Remc called the "Fat Dude". Last May my hard drive crashed and I lost a lot of things including that model. I tried using the Internet Wayback website to check his old Third Eye Function site but it only shows the first page. There was an e-mail address on that page and I did send him a message a couple of days ago about the model but I haven't heard anything back yet. I even tried a PM from here but still nothing. The Fat Dude is one of my favourite models and if anybody knows how I can get it, with permission of Remc of course, let me know.

Marque ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 4:50 AM

Man what a trip down memory lane! I've also been going through some of my old stuffage. Still trying to get stuff sorted out, and thinking it's an endless chore..lol

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 10:58 AM

REMC had some great stuff...I also lost all those when a drive crashed a couple of drives back.  I'd forgotten all about them.  I hope someone can find them and let them know there's still interest in their work.  With all the new "translators" such as CrossDresser and WardrobeWizard, I'd think there would be an amazing amount of current stuff that could be run back and forth in order to be able to use the earlier materials, or bring them forward to use with new characters.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 11:09 AM

Quote - The readme for SAFS2 lists this website
www.pygott.demon.co.uk/hash.htm
I haven't tried the above address to see if it's still active.

Yup, still there! Thank you. :)

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 11:19 AM

Quote - There was an e-mail address on that page and I did send him a message a couple of days ago about the model but I haven't heard anything back yet. I even tried a PM from here but still nothing.

According to his Homepage here he has PC and money issues. So you may not get a quick reply from him.

http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?userid=17630

gagnonrich ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 11:32 AM

Trying to get a grip on all the Poser content I've got is nearly an impossible task. I do the indexing while watching TV so that it's kind of the equivalent of knitting in front of the TV.

A couple items, from the last disk are starting to beckon me for an image. The CentaurA has all the advantages of a robot with the additional plus that it can be ridden. I can't think of anything specific for the Seatracker, but it's such an incredible looking posable vehicle that there has to be something for it. It reminds me a lot of The Matrix, but I downloaded Seatracker in July 2000, and Matrix was released in 1999. A lot depends on when Seatracker was made.

Servicebot01 could be used in a Jetsons inspired image. One of these days, I want to do a Star Wars Cantina type of image with a large number of Poser figures and the REMC Orcadion Soldier would fit right into that.

I'll dig up REMC's Fatdude and see if the readme allows redistribution, but it probably won't or will be silent on the subject which means no permissions automatically. I wish we had somebody expert enough in copyright law to put a sticky in the copyright forum to help freebie makers figure out what they want and don't want done with their items and then provide standard license language for their readmes that reflect their wishes more accurately than the current haphazard nonstandard readmes being provided a decade ago and today. Some people thought the term "no commercial use" only meant their products couldn't be sold on commercial CDs and didn't realize that the restriction also meant no use on commercial images. The last time I made that suggestion in the copyright forum, it quietly died.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 11:57 AM

The best readme I have found is from Francemi !

Quote - NOTE: If something happens to me and/or my website, making all my freebies unavailable anymore, wait 2 months to see if I (or my website) come back and after that period, you have my permission to redistribute any of my freebies. I have seen too many great freebies rendered unavailable because something happened to their creator and their readme files stated that no redistribution was allowed, I don't want to do all this hard work for nothing. ;o)

She took the time to cover redistribution and the ensure that her wonderful freebies can continue to be enjoyed.

Kenmac ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 12:25 PM

Yes, that would be good if you could check that out. Send me a PM to let me know either way. Thanks.

Quote -
I'll dig up REMC's Fatdude and see if the readme allows redistribution, but it probably won't or will be silent on the subject which means no permissions automatically. I wish we had somebody expert enough in copyright law to put a sticky in the copyright forum to help freebie makers figure out what they want and don't want done with their items and then provide standard license language for their readmes that reflect their wishes more accurately than the current haphazard nonstandard readmes being provided a decade ago and today. Some people thought the term "no commercial use" only meant their products couldn't be sold on commercial CDs and didn't realize that the restriction also meant no use on commercial images. The last time I made that suggestion in the copyright forum, it quietly died.

xantor ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 1:49 PM

The jawa is still available at the link.

http://www.fantasy3d.com/pfiles/thumbs.cgi?characters

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2008 at 5:33 PM · edited Sat, 12 January 2008 at 5:36 PM

safs_char_clivep_rosity - I looked through the database for Safs2, but didnt' find it. If this is right, then clivep did the original file, it's a character, then downloaded to Freestuff. If this is the right one.

sigh, shoulda read the rest of the posts...;) never mind...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Diaxus2 ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 5:48 AM · edited Sun, 13 January 2008 at 5:55 AM

ive looked through my old sets of bookmarked posers stuff when i had poser3 and found this, it has some of the pics you posted up

www.fantasy3d.com/

www.greylight.com/poser.html

egaeus ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 6:11 AM · edited Sun, 13 January 2008 at 6:18 AM

Attached Link: http://www.capsces.com/capframe.htm

The hare and fox are part of the morph set called Cat-o-9Lives from Capsces' site.  There are 34 morphs for the Poser cat that can change it into multiple types of cats, foxes, a hare, and a raccoon.

Capsces also has a cool cobra morph for the old Poser snake.

The Indian headset used to be available at 3D Commune, but I don't think it's there anymore.

The female fairy figures (Spooky et al) appear to be early morph/figure sets from Thorne's fairy site, but I don't believe they are available any longer.  The figures there were only offered for a limited time as I recall.

Mike

Kendra ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 3:41 PM

You may find some of those items by searching:  www.whatever3d.com

...... Kendra

gagnonrich ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2008 at 11:53 PM

file_397629.jpg

Here's a bunch more from my third disk and is still mostly downloads before Dec 2000. This disk was mostly props. The props overall hold up better than the figures because many aren't contingent on having a detailed texture map. There's not much texture required of a refrigerator.

I'm surprised that a fair amount of the items are still available even though a lot of sites haven't been updated in a while. The SAFS2 was on a page that wasn't even linked from the main page, so it's basically an abandoned page. I wonder if search engines can find stuff like that. Anton's dragon and killer plant are two great items that are on later disks of mine, but are nice figures to have and appear to still be at fantasy3d.

I forgot about FatDude and I turned my laptop off, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Francemi does have a great license for her items. She's been a great member of the community.

jenay ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 7:15 AM

cool - I love the idea.
my downloads date back to 2001, I still have 30-40 CD-ROMS with hundreds of items.
from time to time I love to dig into the old stuff. there are
a couple of items I recognize (the bionic eye, the worm, the alien, Kozaburo's
MorphHair, the red zombie: I used for a couple of renders).
there are many objects I am still using today.
it would be fun to post some pics - give  me some days ...

Kenmac ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 1:12 PM

Jenay, my CDs go back to 1999. It's interesting to look back at those early days and see what I downloaded then. I think the hair models that Kozaburo made will stand for a long time as the standard for Poser hair, whether free or pay. BTW Gagnonrich, please let me know about the Fat Dude model.

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 2:52 PM

The helicopter in the previous picture is still available at anthony appleyard`s site.

http://www.buckrogers.demon.co.uk/3d/3d.htm

gagnonrich ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 4:01 PM

file_397679.jpg

I thought the copter was Anthony's because his thumbnails have a certain style to them.

One thing I hadn't realized before is that there were a lot of complex props being released back then whereas today most of the freebies tend to be textures for commerical items. My sampling may be skewed becauseI'm looking at a period when I started earnestly collecting Poser freebie content and may have had years of items to choose through versus today where I'm regularly keeping up with freebies in more of a trickle mode. There aren't many huge hidden stashes of Poser content that I haven't been to at some point in the past. Anyway, I had five Poserized vehicles (actually, more because I'm not showing the hundreds of files on that disk) back then on that CD and they're a relatively rare find today.

I've added a sampling from a CD full of superheroes that mostly came from the site that is now called Animotions.

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 4:56 PM

That was something like superheroes comics collective, I went to that site a few times but I didnt download everything I wanted and now still regret not doing so.  A lot of the stuff didnt end up at animotions.

gagnonrich ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 11:08 PM

That's why I tend to download everything while I can. So much freebie content eventually disappears. If there's any consolation, the majority of the P4 superheroes haven't held up well with time. They're okay for distant shots, but close-ups usually won't work well. Textures, for human figures, have become much more demanding than the small maps originally used on the older characters where even head dimensions for the texture weren't much more than a few hundred pixels in any direction.

Kenmac, the FatDude readme is silent on redistribution and that means there is no specific allowance to do so. That's one of the reasons why there needs to be more advice on how to write the readmes.

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 12:04 AM

Remc doesn`t allow his files to be redistributed. :sad:

gagnonrich ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 7:16 AM

I always wonder if the original intent is to ban one-on-one sharing within the Poser community. I can understand not wanting some sleazeball to collect freebies and sell them on a CD. I can sort of understand not wanting them being given away on other sites because that starts to remove one's original ownership. Sharing them within the community seems along the lines of why they were being offered as freebies. That's just an opinion and it's best to respect what is expressly allowed and not take liberties with what was not written.

Kenmac ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 11:50 AM

Quote - Kenmac, the FatDude readme is silent on redistribution and that means there is no specific allowance to do so. That's one of the reasons why there needs to be more advice on how to write the readmes.

Okay, no problem. I was really hoping I could get this model back but I did download a free CD tree utility which gives you the options to read inside every file and save the list for each CD so I'm hoping that maybe I missed the file and that it just may be on one of the CDs after all.

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 4:52 PM

Gagnonrich, remc had his own site so he might have just wanted his free items distributed from there.

It might be worth e-mailing remc about distributing the files, because his site has been down for such a long time, he may be more willing to allow them to be redistributed.

fls13 ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 6:51 PM

Jon Mails had some great stuff available back in the day.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 10:12 PM

Hmm, I never thought about the problem of what happens if I am unable to continue my art works. But for all my free texture/character sets I'd need to redo the readme files and that would be a bi-i-i-i-g job! So I'll just try to cover it in any new stuff, especially if I ever, ever learn some modeling too. :)

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

gagnonrich ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 11:54 PM

file_397780.jpg

I haven't hit the disks with Jon Malis' fantasy characters yet.

Here's some headgear from my seventh disk that's still from the Dec 2000 timeframe.

Even though I've spent a lot of time indexing my content, I often forget to look at P4 male figure items that could be used on newer figures.

jenay ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 4:21 AM

Here is a link to a site I re-discovered. There are a couple of older freebies.

http://www.fantasy3d.com/pfiles/thumbs.cgi?objects

(the warrior nun from your earlier post is still on my runtime, and the fat dude as well as I recall)

gagnonrich ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 4:21 PM

file_397816.jpg

This bunch is from my ninth disk and goes up to about the end of 2002. Sorry about the selection on one of the columns.  I didn't notice it till I deleted the work file. I'm now seeing Victoria2 and Michael2 items. Some of Jon Malis' fantasy figures are on this disk. Is it just me or does Dhodo look a lot like Ron Perlman? I think that the Royloo robots are available again.

This is a nostalgic journey that helps remind me about a lot of Poser items I have that I should use one of these days. It's so easy to forget what's stored away on older disks.

jenay ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 4:40 PM

file_397879.jpg

I promised to check my old archived cds - I picked a couple of interesting items: here they are ...

jenay ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 4:43 PM

file_397880.jpg

... unfortunately I started creating, collecting and renaming thumbnails late in 2001, so I have no sample pics for the stuff I downloaded earlier in 2001 ...

jenay ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 4:44 PM

file_397881.jpg

... and here another one - hope it's not boring ...

gagnonrich ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 7:59 PM

I recognize maybe about a third of the items. I'm hoping I have more. With 10,000-20,000 Poser items, there's no way I remember everything.

Even with having a visual index, it's difficult finding things. I've had times I've gone through the index to see if I have something before downloading it again, but it's often like a needle in a haystack with hundreds of similar items in a category. I found a site with a lot of spaceships and many looked familiar. After poring over hundreds of thumbnails of spaceships, they started looking alike.

I don't have fyxbj (assuming that the thumnail name is the name on the zip file). Angie doesn't look familiar, but I'd have to look. I recognized the Winged Sphinx and that should still be available on Nerd's site.

jenay ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2008 at 3:59 AM

Hi fyxbj is only a texture set for the xurge armor, not the armor itself. sorry

gagnonrich ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 2:26 PM

No problem.

I was going to post more oldies, but it looks as if this thread has run its course.

jenay ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 4:21 AM

I was going to post more oldies, but it looks as if this thread has run its course.

it seems so - what a pity :(

Ken _Gilliland ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2008 at 10:47 PM
Online Now!

Acadia wrote: I've seen the MHair in the second picture too.  And I think the Blue Bird and Cardinal are still available from Ken Gilliand's site.

The Blue Jay and Cardinal were retired from my site after Songbird Remix was created.. They were sort of an embarassment compared to the remix bird. I still have a few "ancient" downloads on my Poser download page and of course lots of freebies on the ReMix download pages if you have remix

Songbird ReMix

JHoagland ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 6:19 PM

If anyone is interested:
Darth Vader (for M3) can be found at Vanishing Point.
A Killer Whale (Orca), by Jose DeEspona and rigged by DAD, can be found at Content Paradise.
The entire collection of Warhammer Poser models can be found at Vanishing Point.

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.