Thu, Oct 10, 12:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: You've probably never heard of me but I make creatures.....

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 5:19 PM · edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 12:19 PM

file_179800.jpg

...and I was wondering if you'd be interested in purchasing a few? I haven't gotten my hands on Poser4 just yet or the Propack (duh) bu tI have a friend who's willing to poserize a few models for me so I can sell them here. Thing is, I'm not sure what kinds of creatures you nice folk are looking for. Here's a sample of one of the models I was thinking of...is it too alien for you? Should I make something more common (horses, birds, dragons, etc.) or should I just buzz off? I really want to know because this'll be my first major step into the 3D biz. If I were any good at non-organic things, I'd just make some decent clothes for Vicki (what's with all the lingerie, anyway?) or Mike but my talents don't lean that way. All comments are welcome (negative or positive).

TJ ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 5:23 PM

That thing is awesome , I would definitely give him a second look for the right price:-)I love fantasy characters :-)

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 5:28 PM

Thanks. I was thinking of doing a series of two creature sets. As for pricing, I still haven't figured that out as I'm waiting to hear the general feeling on the matter. Still, this makes me feel good...at least someone likes the idea. :>

soulhuntre ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 5:31 PM

No - do things like that. Poser has LOTS of people doing common stuff. We NEED the offbeat :)

TJ ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 5:33 PM

"We NEED the offbeat :)" Thats so true .... I have people ...they have clothes , Now we need characters to eat them :-)

Larry F ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 5:34 PM

INTERESTING looking! Kind of Vaughn Bode meets S. Clay Wilson version of some fairy tale creature! Would consider buying but have to look at price range! Larry F

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 5:37 PM

That's two! I'm glad to hear this, after the slow downloads of the Hopper model I made for the Lightwave Free stuff, I was begining to think I was heading down the wrong track. Especially seeing as how all my models are a bit odd like this. :>

Spike ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 5:38 PM

Love it!

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 5:41 PM

Thanks. Really. Now I'll go and finish up the models, send them off to my good buddy and discuss pricing with him after they're all posered up. That's a word, right? Posered? :>

magnet ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 5:48 PM

That is a great looking little monster! With the right texture it could look pretty fierce! Poserize away... we need stuff like that.

Colm_Jackson ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 6:42 PM

Characters with personality. Like the 'Shrek' ones. Great textures too would be essential. Above looks great. Lets see more examples.

Silvermermaid ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 7:12 PM

That's wonderful!! I want Bumbler. I would definitely buy, but price has to be right like everyone else said. Can we see some more of your creations? How do you model, do you sketch a design on paper or do it within the program without a sketch? Thanks

AprilYSH ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 8:14 PM

he looks so cute!!! TJ: I have people ...they have clothes , Now we need characters to eat them :-) - hahahahahaha!!! How much does a fully posable, original (not morphed) character mesh for Poser go for these days? What is DAZ pricing fantasy characters at anyway? (No money at the mo, so I don't look.) Teyon, will you make occasional freebies as well please? :)

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

Spike ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 8:27 PM

Yeah! We want freebies!!!!!!! Hey Colm, you have Deep Paint right? How hard would it be to map that bad boy with texture weapons? Everyone should check out the Rhino gallery and do a search for Teyon. Cool.... stuff there.

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 8:38 PM

file_179801.jpg

Thanks for the great response. I think the price will be pretty fair (maybe $25-$30 per a set of two) but I still have to talk with the gent whose Poserizing them for me, I really trust his judgement. Silvermermaid- I usually start off with a hand drawing (or set of hand drawings) that I scan in to my PC. Then I use the image as a background in Rhino to make my model over. Sometimes the sketch calls for something that just isn't practical, so I have to be able and willing to make changes on the fly. I try not to just start Rhino and model without a sketch because it's easy to end up with a big mess. :> AprilYSH- Most of the characters I've made are littered throughout the different Free Stuff Sections here at Renderosity and are available for you to do with as you like. I have a bunch of StarWars related creatures I made that I plan to poserize when I get P4 and of course those will be free also. As requested, my next few posts will be of some creatures already available or that are WIP's and some toons I will realease once I have PPP and P4.

Xurge ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 9:05 PM

I have always admired your fantastic creatures. I will surely buy them when they become available.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 9:12 PM

I'd make em seperate at around $10 and packs of two or so for $25 (quantity discount) :)

Spike ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 9:12 PM

I might have to pick up a few as well :)

neurocyber ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 10:53 PM

YES!! Things like this roam through my head on any given day. I love unconventional and offbeat! Fantasy and Science fiction. I would love to have these kind of creatures. I even promise to feed them and pick up after them. :)

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 11:02 PM

That's awfully kind of you, Neurocyber, and I'm sure they're hungry :>. $10 sounds pretty fair for single creatures. It would also allow you to decide what to get and what (shudder) not to get. Something tells me, oh fearless leader, that you'll find a few on your HD sooner than you think. Thanks everyone and drop by the Lightwave Free Stuff to grab your own copy of the "Rock Hopper". No textures I'm afraid, as I learned how to create those after I posted him. I don't want to flood the forum wiht a bunhch of pics, so check the Works In Progress gallery and the Rhino gallery for more toons, beasites, and characters that may pop up this year. Thanks again, I really appreciate the warm replies.

Wizzard ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 11:11 PM

Teyon, you Rhino Modeling God you 8 ) good to see you getting more recognition outside of the Rhino forum 8) THe best to ye my friend.. Cheers

movida ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2001 at 11:41 PM

Teyon: Go here: www.daz3d.com and check their offerings, it'll give you an idea as to how to price your creatures

AprilYSH ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2001 at 12:30 AM

are rhino models posable? what do you have to do to make a model posable/have joints? is that hard? even i would say $10 for an original posable character mesh is way cheap. i've seen some merely morphed characters that are more expensive. i don't want to drive the price up, i'm just acknowledging Teyon's generosity! Big Thanks!!!

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2001 at 4:41 AM

Teyon, If the model is poseable (all 4 legs move separately and the face has dials for expressions and the tail wiggles when he walks) and you provide a template map for textures if not a texture itself, you should consider the $15-25 range (depending upon complexity!) The lower the price, the more you'd sell, but you will need to repay your Poserizing buddy if not your own time. The Daz models are priced higher than this, but are probably more generally useful (horses and big cats can be reused in lots of different pictures). But you offer originality, and that is something special. Carolly

gryffnn ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2001 at 7:32 AM

I don't do fantasy, but these are awesome! You can almost see them moving - their usefulness will depend in large part on how well they are Poserized, so they can be posed and animated. They are so cute, but I'm sure some ghastly texture mapping can take care of that. (Actually, take that in a different direction and they could make a great kids animated story.) Hope you do well with the marketing.

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2001 at 7:53 AM

file_179802.jpg

Thanks, I'll check Daz out and the prices here at the store before making a final decision. I hope that they'll be fully posable with a bunch of useful abilities but we'll have to see how it goes. One thing I've learned is that if your design is flawed, that fact will become clear as soon as you try to animate it. I'll do my best to make sure that there isn't any need for revisions on these guys. Alos, I do plan on releasing a series of cartoon characters once I get P4 that are just screaming to be a children's animated cartoon. One character (a superhero) in particular has gotten a lot of requests...the BAT. I know, I know, I said I wouldn't post images but you deserve the right to know that monsters aren't all I'm cooking up. That's it until I post a beta testing thingie...that's how it's done right?

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2001 at 1:50 AM

And I suppose that there is a talking ball (mouth along the seam line) as a wise-cracking sidekick? The puns are going to be thick and fast if I don't stop now. Carolly

movida ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2001 at 7:13 AM

Teyon: You might think about putting another "package" together to sell: things like the above bat (with his pal the ball) and other smaller 3d objects that could be used in web design and market it as such in the appropriate area. Just trying to make you money here s

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2001 at 7:23 AM

Thanks. I'm gonna definitely release the Bat and the rest of the Exclamation-X crew. There's lot's of silly characters like this that I think people will find multitudes of uses for. Just to name a few: Exclamation X The Target Master Ki Ted E. Bear The Really Big Hippo You Pig The Bat Those Blasted Aliens Rocky The Rhino Buddy and Quacked THere's more but those will be the first bunch that will hit the shelves when I get P4. There's a small chance that two of them may be released before that, with the help of some folks but I'm gonna concentrate on the beasties first and their accessories.

grahamjames ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2001 at 6:21 PM

Teyon, probably never heard of you ? Yeah right you kick arse rhino modeller you ! Provided you don't want to exchange your poser models for bits of peoples anatomy you are going to sell bucket loads of models and I wish you every success. May I also take this opportunity to thank you for all the tutorials you've done for Rhino.

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2001 at 8:20 PM

Thanks, you all have been really great to me and I hope the models will live up to everyone's expectations. Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. I may try my hand at a few non-organic items first...scary, I know...but when these guys are released, I'll do my best to make you feel like you got your money's worth.

gryffnn ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 6:15 AM

Teyon, check out Message 319165 - grayhuze has discovered how to rename Poser figure morphs so they respond to a Mimic file made from music. You might want to set up your Bat gang to use this.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.