Thu, Sep 19, 9:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: svdl's RemoveMorphs.py is awesome. i do have one question though....

dennisharoldsen ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 4:52 AM · edited Fri, 30 August 2024 at 8:26 PM

(thanks, svdl for this and all the scripts and information you have shared.)

with the new content i have purchased such as v4, i have noticed that i am getting some very large scene files. not only does that use disk space but it takes a lot longer to save files and that has become very noticeable. compressing them solves the disk problem to some extent but doesn't help with the time it takes to save the files.

first, i looked at the character files to find out why they are so large and then while doing research i found out about RemoveMorphs. after working with it a bit, i am getting some incredible results in file size and in file saving time. i intend to put some specific information out in the near future but where i am not using many morphs, the file size is being reduced by as much as 90%. it also applies to clothes as well.

the question i have is: once i have removed that information from the character, is there a convenient way to put it back in without changing the morph data that i am using in case i want to change something? it's not a major issue to me but i was wondering. 

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 5:43 AM · edited Fri, 22 February 2008 at 5:46 AM

I looked at that script awhile back and couldn't make heads nor tales out of what everyone was talking about in the thread it was offered in.

If you have a step by step that you can offer on how to use that script, I'd be grateful :)

Here is a thread I started more than a year ago on the subject of deleting morph dials that sit at zero.  I still don't know how to do that

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2663088

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

svdl ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 6:17 AM

If the removed morphs are INJ morphs, you just can INJect them again.
If not, there is currently no way to do that. But you gave me an idea to improve on the script - it could write out an INJ pose that will reinject the removed morphs.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

svdl ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 6:22 AM · edited Fri, 22 February 2008 at 6:27 AM

Oh Acadia, here's the manual for using the RemoveMorphs script:

• inject all morphs you want/need;
  • dial your figure;
  • run the script;
  • save the figure to the figure library with a new name.

I always try to make my scripts as easy to use as possible.

By the way, some morphs will NOT be removed: the script keeps the JCM morphs.
For Steph Petite, V3, Aiko3 and Aiko3_SP, the expression morphs will also be kept.
If you  want to keep the expression morphs of another figure (say M3), you'll have to write an exclusion list file. Open one of the provided xxx.exc files in Notepad, and you'll see how it works.
An exclusion list must have the same name as the geometry file for that figure. For example, the exclusion list for V3 has the name blMilWom_v3.exc, since her geometry file is called blMilWom_v3.obj.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

lkendall ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 8:53 AM

2/22/08

Does removing the "0" morphs reduce render time or at least allow one to render larger scenes?

It would be great if one could re-inject deleted morphs. Sometimes I change some things at the last minute.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

dennisharoldsen ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 9:31 AM

file_400495.jpg

hi acadia. it looks like you're getting help from the man himself but i am happy to share whatever.

i have a test case of v41 with a cowboy outfit that is 78mb. that was reduced to 6mb and 800k compressed. the morphs in the clothes were as much as in v41. i also tried a file where i put on a new head and a new body that i downloaded and the results were nearly as good.

i ran some tests using my batch render script. the load time and save times were less but the render was about the same in my tests. i am not doing a full scene so the results of others may be different. i have been thinking about making the test script available because it has helped me out a lot in understanding what the effect is of doing different things when making or rendering a scene.

dennisharoldsen ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 9:33 AM

svdl:

i was a little confused at first about the exclusion file and saw a post of someone else who experienced the same thing. i found the obj file and then made a blank file to get started. in order to get the name directly, i wrote a snippet to retrieve it as you do in the script. since the morphs that are used are retained, i decided to bypass the file and disabled that part of the script for what i do.

the other thing is that the script needs the internal name of the command and the only way to get that is using python as far as i know. i made a little script to do that and also found that the name may show up for several body parts and that some of them don't refer directly to a channel. it was also instructive to understand that for example "twist" is not the true name.

since, i had to apply the script to each piece of clothing, it might be a nice variation to have it do everything at once.

all in all, this script is a winner and has really come into its own with all the bloated content that is out there. as my understanding of poser increases, i find myself turning more and more to your scripts.

thanks a bunch.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 12:59 PM · edited Fri, 22 February 2008 at 1:02 PM

*" Does removing the "0" morphs reduce render time or at least allow one to render larger scenes?"

*Yes, and no. The amount of Memory(Physical + Virtual) is the bottlecap that develops when you consider the size of your scene in relation to the output size of your image.  removemorphs.py, will not give you more RAM, but it make yous scene smaller, so you could output a larger render,  Or, if the size of the render you are outputting is fine; then; by making each figure in your scene smaller, it will allow you to add more figures than were previously possible.

BTW - If you open the .EXC file, for the figure you are working on, with a text editor; delete all of it's contents, and save the file, then running removemorphs.py will remove all morphs set to 0.

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 2:34 AM

dennisharoldsen: good tips! And I'm glad you find my scripts useful.

chinnei ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 3:39 AM

Quote - But you gave me an idea to improve on the script - it could write out an INJ pose that will reinject the removed morphs.

This would be great!!!  Thanks for writing the script btw.  I tried it on V4 with a custom exclusion file and it works perfectly.  But for non-injectable morphs like Morphia, I think INJ pose file will definitely come in handy.  Looking forward to the update and thanks again for all your work!

lundon_Don ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 10:52 AM

Chinnei:

You wouldn't care to share that exclusion file, would you? I hate recreating the wheel.

Don

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 1:25 PM

Here is a tool that will allow you to make your own exclusion lists:

www.svdlinden.nl/webposerstuff/downloads/exclusionlist.zip

Needs Poser 6 or later.

lundon_Don ( ) posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 1:29 PM

Great-  Thanks!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.