Fri, Sep 20, 8:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Wierd seam issue

chris1972 ( ) posted Fri, 14 March 2008 at 5:20 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 5:54 AM

When rendering my v4  at a distance ( the entire body is shown or smaller) I'm picking up faint light seams lines. When rendered close up or at a medium range ( half the body showing or closer) my seams are perfect. I've never run across this before.
As far as I can tell my seams are perfect, I mapped the figure in Zbrush, have a 16 pixel border around the map to prevent white bleed in preview mode.
I'm pretty experienced at mapping, but this is a new wrinkle!
Any ideas as to why you would have a seam visible far away but not close up?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 14 March 2008 at 7:36 AM

This is due to Texture Filtering. Any time you see a texture map changing appearance as the distance to the figure varies, it is because of this.

Since P7, Texture Filtering settings were moved from Render Settings. They are now on a per-image basis, in the Material Room on Image_Map nodes. This behavior is a subject of some debate. Some CG pros insist that you are a fool if you disable texture filtering.

My experience with P7 texture filtering is this:

1. Poser 7 texture filtering is too aggressive in most cases.
  2. Texture filtering causes small "shifts" in the final position of individual pixels. This results in visible seams.
  3. Texture Filtering is great for avoiding moire effects in highly regular patterns, such as fine parallel lines. Disabling TF on such textures is a bad idea.
  4. TF ruins the details in irregular patterns such as skin. Disabling TF on such textures is a good idea.

TF should have a "scale" parameter that I should be able to set to adjust the amount of blurring that happens at a particular viewing distance. This would permit us to adjust it to give the right balance between Moire reduction and texture fidelity. It would also then be able to deal with the fact that some images, such as skin maps, do not need to be heavily filtered even though the image is huge, such as 4K.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

chris1972 ( ) posted Fri, 14 March 2008 at 9:11 AM

Thanks very much for your response, I will check it out.
Chris

chris1972 ( ) posted Fri, 14 March 2008 at 1:13 PM

Thats exactly what was going on. I changed filtering to none and it fixed the problem.
Thanks again, once again you've been a big help.
Chris

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.