Wed, Oct 2, 10:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: a render problem in poser

Boofy ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 3:59 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 10:20 PM

file_402184.jpg

Hi all.

My first try at a peice of clothing and i am running into probs with the rendering in poser,
in D/S & Bryce this comes out white, in poser i get what you see below. Can anyone tell me why please?

Many thanks.

Jen

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 4:17 PM

Reversed normals on some polygons?

And why do you have Diffuse plugged into Gradient_Bump? That's going to produce nonsense. You're setting up that the surface normals should be distorted by the amount of light reflected by the surface.

Also you have a Diffuse plugged into Refraction_Value. This is doing nothing at all - just increasing the compute time.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 4:47 PM

See this is what I get for looking in the other thread.

My Freebies

stallion ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 6:28 PM

that is only the material set up for the buttons, that is displayed. U need to change the material option to labcoat or what ever the main material group is to see how it is set up.

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 7:11 PM

bad normals, yep.  and it sez "curious labs", meaning poser 5.  I dunno where "normals forward"
checkbox was located in that.

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 7:18 PM

Poser 5? Doesn't have "normals forward", it requires that the model is done right.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Boofy ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 1:29 AM

Ahhh thanks guys, cant half tell i havnt done this before.

*Baggins, I was just pushing buttons trying to see if anything worked,,,,,

*thanks Pjz99, pc glitch posted this twice.....or brain fade i suppose:blink:

*Miss Nancy and svdl, ahhh to show my complete lack of knowlege here, apart from 'not being insane' what does normals and forward normals refer to.

*svdl (or anyone). How do I see that the 'model is done right'? Can anyone tell me what I should have done....apart from slowly go insane that is?

Thanks for your help here friends, I really do appreciate it.

Jen 

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 2:04 AM

3D polygonal objects are made up of polygons (flat, bounded planar surfaces).  The bounds of each polygon are defined by points.  If you go to Document Display Style and set the display to Hidden Line you see that the object is made up of a patchwork of squares and triangles.  These are polygons.  The corners of each are defined by points in space.

Now, you should think of a polygonal object as a paper-thin surface which is covered by or defined by these polygons.

Normals are direction vectors that determine which side of a polygon is 'visible' when rendered.  Think of a piece of paper where one side has writing and the other doesn't.  You want to see the side with the writing, right?  Well, in 3D, the side with writing is determined by the order of the points that make up the polygon.  If they go one way, the writing is on one side.  If they go the other, the writing is on the other side.  Some 3D applications consider both sides of the paper as having writing while others, like Poser, need to know which side.

In order to verify that all of the polygons are showing the writing on the same side that would properly be rendered, you need to have some way to show and edit the polygon's normals.  UV Mapper can do this as well as other 3D applications.  In whatever application you modeled the clothing, you'll need to learn how to show the normals and fix them to be pointing 'outward' so that the surface all has writing on the outside instead of having some on the inside.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Boofy ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 2:46 AM

Thank you soooo much kuroyume0161, I dont know what prog the upper part was made in but my lower half was in wings3d, i will see what i can find out from there.

Thanks all. I will delve into this stuff and let you know the outcome, wish me luck.
Jen

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.