Sat, Sep 21, 12:00 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Infrared (IR) Photography Thread

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 10:15 AM

file_398807.jpg

Here is the original photo before running Joe's Photoshop Action on it.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 10:16 AM

file_398808.jpg

Here it is after running the action. I like it a lot, I may start using it instead of my other conversion method. I'll have to try them side by side. Thanks Joe! *((note that you can see through their sunglasses))* ;']

Art_Ramos ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 4:00 PM

I tried using Photoshop to change an existing color image to IR:

How does this look?  I find that you cannot have too many dark items in an image to do this type of conversion. Let me know what you think via site mail. Thanks.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 4:25 PM

Attached Link: False IR

Not bad, though I would like to see it larger. Not quite IR, the blue sky would need to be darker. Send me your email via site mail and I will send you a Photoshop action I have that does a good IR approximation. The link will take you to some old images in my gallery that use that method (Twisted Trees). But nothing beats the real thing. ;'] Thanks for sharing Art.

Art_Ramos ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 4:31 PM

OK, Check the above photo now !!!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 4:36 PM

Better! :thumbupboth:

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2008 at 8:14 AM

file_399343.jpg

IR brats, ready to remove from the grill in real life.  Not sure if Johnsonville would use this picture for advertisement.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2008 at 8:59 AM

I would guess not, but i love it! ;'p

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 9:12 AM

Experimenting with Pshop CS3 new Auto Align Layers function - stitched together 5 images here.

If you'd like to see the larger version, please use this link:

http://www.pbase.com/l8rdaze/image/92966603/original

Joe

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 9:56 AM

Seamless! Great moody photo Joe!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2008 at 8:13 AM

Attached Link: Digital Lloyd

file_400353.jpg

An update on the Coastal Optics lens...apparently another photog tested it out and loved it for IR. The link will take you to his blog. Here is a random IR shot of some local wildlife.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2008 at 4:53 PM

Your furry friend seems to enjoy the IR experience.  Need to win the lotto so I can try all the neat lenses.  That website is not dial up friendly though. 

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 10:00 PM

file_400458.jpg

I saw this string the other day and have worked my way about half way through reading everyones hints, help, links and photos. I'm getting way hyped to try IR myself now (see what y'all have done!)

I did see, TwoPnts, where you said:
Thanks Joe. Nuthin I could do about the building and still get the moon in the right spot.
Not sure if I can clone it out professionally enough either. 

Did I even mention that I love a good challenge? (and that I've been told I have the patience of a saint?) Here you go. Only thing I couldn't do was reinsert your sig.

I enjoyed playing with it, hope you don't mind.   : ) 

Now I'm back to half way up the pages so I can read the rest of everyone's input.  

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

So where do they go when a photograph leaves you speechless? 

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 7:37 AM · edited Fri, 22 February 2008 at 7:38 AM

LOL, I don't mind at all. And may I say, "FANTASTIC JOB!" :thumbupboth: You really made this image look great, and without the building I would say it is gallery worthy. Do you mind if I snag it for my gallery? Would give you editing credit of course. Brilliant work, just brilliant. I would not have guessed there ever was a building there...

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 10:52 AM

TwoPynts, of course you can snag, it's your photo. :biggrin:  Glad I tried it, never could resist those "can't be done" words.  

Yvonne 

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 4:20 PM

Thanks Yvonne, it is up! :o)

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 10:24 PM

Well, I got my IR filter in the mail today, already have a tripod and a cable so I'm all set, just need the weather to co-operate now, and of course fhe forcast is for snow tonight, snow tomorrow and through the rest of the week. Arrggggggggggggg! 

Ain't that always the way!

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 5:42 AM

IR Snowscapes....Hmm that might be something to try!  (Hint Hint Nudge Nudge)

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 10:33 AM

I have an IR calendar and the very first photo for January is of a skier in the snow. It looks great! ((congrats LP))

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 9:17 PM

LOL ok ok, I got the hint. Although by time I got home from work it was it was twilight and getting cold(er) so I perhaps this weekend when I've got a full day's worth of sunlight I'll see what I can accomplish.

Thanks to the both of you for the motivation. 

Yvonne

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 8:13 AM · edited Wed, 27 February 2008 at 9:04 AM

Attached Link: dibyogahari

If I find inspiration IR galleries I will try to post them here. This is one.

ColdWarTendencies ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 8:44 AM · edited Wed, 27 February 2008 at 8:45 AM

www.myinfrared.com/galeri/index.php

Am still not sure how to change name of link but I think TwoPynt's was hoping to lead you to above!
 One H to many :D

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 9:05 AM

thanks CTW. I fixed my link...there was an extra h in the http. If you use the fields below, you can just enter the name of the link in the first line, and then the URL in the line below that.

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2008 at 4:06 PM

file_401162.jpg

Ok my IR guru/motivators, here are a few of my first attempts. I had to settle for some dead oak leaves as there are no green ones here at the moment, but it seems that even dead they come out pretty light. This first shot was taken from my front deck at around 8:30 am. I think I had the ISO set too hight at 400 as it is pretty grainy.

I know someone mentioned a program  or two that helps with that, I'll have to peruse the pages again to pick up on that.

I'm also getting a handle on the post shot processing, I use PSP and all the tuts I've seen so far are for similar programs but I think I'm getting the gist of it, just have to learn the fine tuning.

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2008 at 4:18 PM

file_401163.jpg

This shot was taken later in the morning when the sun was higher, I believe the ISO was 200 this time. I wasn't sure what snow or the metal pump would come out looking like, but the best way to learn is to try and see what happens.

The non IR shot is in my gallery if you'd like to compare http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1629190

I did notice there is a rather skewed rectangular highlight in this one, I think what is happening here is that sun is getting in the viewfinder (as it was to my back) and leaving it's imprint on the shot. I didn't notice this until I was back home with the shots on the computer so I'll have to try blocking it another day and see if the effect goes away. Anyone have a alternate idea or can confirm what I think?

And thanks in advance for any hints,

Yvonne

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2008 at 7:35 AM

Thanks for sharing Yvonne. I like both...but yes the ISO 200 photo came out less grainy. That highlight "might" be an artifact of the lens you are using and the angle towards the sun, but without further tests it is hard to say for sure. Funny how red comes out white in IR, isn't it? :o)

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2008 at 10:19 AM

Bringin' back the IR thread....

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2008 at 11:05 AM

Thanks Joe! Neat photograph...shot in a garden?

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2008 at 9:48 AM

Yeppers....sisters backyard!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2008 at 10:18 AM

file_402888.jpg

Kewl. In the spirit of giving, here is a photo of family friends that were visiting this week. NOTE: The veins were not visible in normal light.

babuci ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2008 at 4:37 PM

Forgive me to say it Kort but those veins look cool. I know from personal experience those nasty things hurt, but Ir shows a "nice" fascinating side of it. Also like her blueish hair.

seeya  and pls keep this tread alive....truly fascinating stuff....thanks Tunde

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 7:33 AM

Ok, from a nonexperienced infrared sort like me,  if you shoot a hot object does this show more infrared?

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 7:51 AM

Attached Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared#Infrared_Filters

Tom,

It has to do with capturing IR LIGHT, which is normally blocked by a camera. IR Filters enable the camera to "see" in the IR spectrum.     HEAT would be more THERMAL imaging.

More info at the included link:

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 9:20 AM

Ditto Joe's comment. It is a common misconception that IR equates to heat. Tunde, as I mentioned, the veins were not visible in normal light, at least not as in your face as they are in IR.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 5:47 PM · edited Fri, 28 March 2008 at 5:49 PM

Attached Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermography

file_402982.jpg

I think this link shows how IR relates to heat, it just takes a different type of image sensor to see the lower levels of emission. Its take a pretty high temperature to generate the IR light our digital cameras see, such as the sun or my solding iron. This picture was taken with an r87 IR filter, iso 400, f2.8. 1.5 secs. The working temperature of the tip is 700 degrees F. with no visible light to my eyes in a totally dark room.  My camera gets a little noisy with these settings.

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 6:07 PM

That is what I was thinking...and that our cameras recording normal IR are seeing that spectrum level reflected from objects in the most part, while in yours the light is generated through heat.

When I weld platinum, I use a gold #9 lens to protect my eyes from the white light which will easily burn the retina. I imagine a lot of IR is in that white appearing light, unseen.. Temp is close to 3200ºF.

Yes, the imaging techniques are different.

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 6:53 PM · edited Fri, 28 March 2008 at 6:55 PM

From a scientific website:

Thermal Infrared (Thermal IR) sensors do not detect reflected radiation, they are tuned to respond to emitted heat energy (thermal wavelengths). Photography's Color Infrared (CIR) uses special film, lenses and filters to capture reflected near infrared energy (sometimes called Near IR), NOT emitted thermal infrared (heat). Common misconceptions about "Infrared Photography" are that even though EMR (Electro Magnetic Radiation) in those wavelengths are sometimes labeled as part of the "visible" spectrum, these wavelengths cannot be sensed by our eyes and are NOT IN ANY WAY associated with heat. Standard filament light bulbs, like a glowing white hot metal rod, emit thermal infrared wavelengths and are a good source of radiate heat (Thermal Infrared) but not a very efficient source of visible light (the percentage of visible white light emitted by a filament light bulb, based its temperature, is very small compared to the percentage that is given off as invisible thermal energy that does not help us see). Color Infrared (CIR) photographs result from film that has reacted to sunlight that has been REFLECTED from the surface, NOT emitted (that's Thermal IR).

I can see why madmikie had to use those settings to get the image, perhaps getting thermal IR.

What is the typical exposure time of the normal camera IR shots you folks take? 

Thanks...Tom.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 6:59 PM

Quote - What is the typical exposure time of the normal camera IR shots you folks take?

Depends on if you have the hot mirror removed or not.  Almost normal exposure times if you have your camera modded and between 5-15 minutes for unmodded cams, save a few special cases.

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 7:10 PM

Wow..that filter on the sensor makes a huge difference.  Thanks.       Tom.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 7:21 PM · edited Fri, 28 March 2008 at 7:21 PM

Doh!  I meant 5-15 seconds!  My bad.
It still makes a big difference though...from handheld to tripod.

mrmadmikie ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 8:55 AM

Great topic Tom.

Upon futher review.

Based on some further reading I am guessing that the soldering iron glow is NOT thermal but falls into the very narrow range of the IR spectrum(below 1000 nm's, which is the range of a camera sensor too) that is considered not to be emitted by the heat of the object.  I ran across a couple of articles that finally whacked me in the head and got my attention.  And I suppose this is where, in my mind, where it is confusing because that soldering iron is hot but this part of the spectrum the light will not heat.   I think it must have something to do with the time/space continuem.  Where's Q when you need him?

Seems my example was a bit misleading, but still shows that if the object is hot enough your that camera will detect more infrared.

I have developed a headache thinking about it so I am going back to my original hypothesis.  ITS MAGIC!!!!!!

Anyway, its a great way to another view of things.

Mike

SapUS59 ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 8:07 PM

i got a hold of some color infrared film about 20 years or so ago and took some shots down in disney worlds epcot center and i must say its really trippy looking when processed, if i can find some of the photos i'll post them in the gallery.
-Rich

TomDart ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 8:21 PM

Rich, I would like to see those pics.      Tom

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 8:52 PM

Captured this one a few weeks ago at Veterans Park (Hamilton Square NJ)

SapUS59 ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2008 at 9:19 PM

Quote - Rich, I would like to see those pics.      Tom

Tom,  i couldn't find the prints (at least not yet, i'll search some more tomorrow) but i did find the slides so if worse comes to worse i'll scan and upload them these coming days.
i'll post some here and most likely add some into my gallery too.
be advised these were taken in the early 80's when i was first experimenting with photography so don't expect much as far as composition and all, i'll weed out the real  bad ones.  ;-)
-Rich

SapUS59 ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2008 at 11:14 AM

file_403106.jpg

these are two quick scanned images from slides (couldn't find the prints) of the color infrared film, they are over 25 years old ( taken somewhere around  late 1982 - early 1983) and i ran them through photoshop for some retouching as well as border and sig. nothing else was messed with other then what was just mentioned, the colors are how they were when they were processed back then, these were stored in boxes since then.

SapUS59 ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2008 at 11:14 AM

file_403107.jpg

and the other..

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2008 at 12:15 AM

file_403666.jpg

Well, I think I'm getting a better handle on IR, still waiting for leaves to appear but I did catch these pine needles behind a dead tree. 

I think I need to work on finessing the post work a bit more but I think I'm getting there  : )  

john010766 ( ) posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 6:58 PM

HI All
sorry for being away for so long, but the health is getting the better of me,so been laid low for a while to let the old carcass recover somewhat.

Anyway after months of experiementation and deleting bags of failed images, I have managed to get usable handheld IR shots using a CANON 350D and the IR filter.  I will go through my work process and findings.

I set the camera to taker RAW images only then once this is done I set the WB to something fairly reflective like a mirror or polished steel (this gives a slightly higher than normal light reading even over exposed but I find its needed).  Then set the WB SHFT/BKT to M8 or R0, after this I set the BRK to cover at least 2 stops to what I think I may need.  I have stopped using a tripod but I do use a monopod to keep stability depending on the lens I use.  After this I set the PARAMETERS to B&W with no toning effects and no filter effects.

These are the settings I use, I stress that they may or may not work for you. But play around and see what happens.

After I have done the above I set the film speed to ISO 400 or ISO 800 I find after faster leads to more unusuable images, because of the noise (grain) but thats my personal preference.

I turn off the AF and manually focus then I slip in the IR filter (Wratten 89B equivalent). 

I hope this helps, and sorry to be out of circulation for so long.  BTW for the UK people, theres a company that can convert your camera to IR only.  The details are

Advanced Camera services
UNIT 10
Linmore Court
Threxton Road IND Estate
Watton
Norfolk
IP25 6NG

TEL: 01953 889324

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2008 at 1:28 PM

Welcome back John. Glad to hear you are feeling better and thanks for the info. LovelyPoetess, you certainly are getting a handle on it, lovely shot!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.