Mon, Oct 21, 11:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:11 pm)

Subject: Is Poser content all dress up with no place to go?

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 12:41 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 9:30 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity, profanity, violence

I know many might be aware of Second Life. I just had to share these favorites. I know our corner of 3d is fun, but the things these objects are scripted to do is stunning.

For those not aware.. objects in Second Life can be scripted to perform animations, trigger sounds, effects, etc. Similar to scripted game objects that grant abilities.

Anyway, just watch them through for fun. I hate to say it. But it does make Poser content seem very boring.

Video's

NBC's "Second Life's Got Talent" Audition Call

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTqAILJvxj0

L'Oréal Paris' Second Life model search contest (My god! Those dresses)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODi0jXYs8ds

Michael Jackson's Thriller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=memW5zjGyFs

U2 in SL Virtual Concert in Second Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mro9Qzv--k8

The Second Life Sex Bed Case (Watch the blonde hair)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJw1rhg_5do

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 1:01 AM · edited Wed, 16 April 2008 at 1:02 AM

I love this one too.

Apple's Second Life store
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovL4pZod_gw

"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 1:05 AM · edited Wed, 16 April 2008 at 1:07 AM

If the links don't work, just copy/paste them.

AdamWright ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 6:30 AM

Yeah, these look good....but as for Poser content looking boring, I've seen some great animations done with Poser too.

Adam

SeanMartin ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 6:58 AM

Well, bearing in mind that your typical SL avatar mesh doesnt have -- what, 70,000+ polygons like Vickie? -- makes it a little tough for the flagship content to animate as well and as easily as the things from SL.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

SeanMartin ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 7:01 AM

My god, that red "ocean" dress is a howl. But I have to give them chops for some great lo-poly cloth dynamics. That's pretty cool stuff.

Ian Porter ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 9:05 AM

I have been a member ( resident ) in SecondLife for two or three years now. There are some pretty amazing builds there considering the simplicity of the basic objects that everything is constructed from. Some of the scripting is really inventive too. The flexi-prims have been made into all kinds of objects, from hair to animated plants. Impressive considering it is all real-time ( unless the dreaded lag-monster strikes ).

Unfortunately SL gets a bad press here due the unscrupulous activities of a small number of residents ripping off textures and using or selling them is SL. I believe the number of people doing that is tiny compared to the millions of people signed up, but of course all of SL users  tend to get painted with the same brush ;-(( .When I first started in SL I think there were less than 30000 registered accounts total, and the Lindens were pretty hot on finding and deleting content which broke anyones IP rights or copyright. These days I think the sheer volume of users creating items and uploading graphics 24/7 ( often over 30000 logged in at anyone time now ) have made that an almost impossible task.

bantha ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 10:54 AM

Second Life - been there, done that. No T-Shirt. Well, it's pretty amazing what some people do, but one should keep in mind that this is real time stuff. Is there more stuff for sl than for Poser? I don't know, but all that SL stuff is low poly, just good textured.

SL can be fun. It may be the future of the internet. But I will continue to make my stuff with Poser, Vue, D/S and Pov-Ray. The possibilities are too limited for me, no good lights, no shaders, just textures and everything low poly....

I wasn't impressed enough to stay there. It was time consuming, but I did not enjoy it enough to justify the time.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 11:20 AM

I've been meaning to check out SL for a while now... now that I have a bit of time on my hands :)

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

SeanMartin ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 11:55 AM

To get off the "intro" island, you'll need it, trust me. :-)

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 11:58 AM

I've still got my hands full with the first life... :)

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 2:34 PM

Quote - I've still got my hands full with the first life... :)

As do I.
Spring has finally sprung and time to enjoy the weather, while it lasts.

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 2:53 PM

I like the real time stuff.  I have signed up and downloaded everything for second life.  But I still have things to finish for poser and don't want to run off and leave things undone.  But as soon as I can I really want to learn how to do these things.  Does anyone know if they are using anything like the Dark basic stuff?  If so, didn't True space team up with Dark basic?

A HOMELAND FOR POSER FINALLY

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 3:36 PM

Huge word of warning:  Anyone online RPG is a massive time sink.  If you enjoy being productive, stay away from these games!  :P

My Freebies

Ian Porter ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 3:40 PM

If you are interested in learning LSL (Linden Scripting Language ) as used in secondlife a good palce to start is here:-

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Portal

Please though, try to avoid making programs that crash the SL servers ( yes it is possible ), that is a good way to get yourself permanently banned. ;-((

If you get into secondlife, drop by Yadni's store, which is quite well known. There you can buy boxes containing a collection of free sl scripts. Best to try them out away from his store though as he also sells boxes full of free guns which people seem to be unable to resist trying out on each other. You can't 'die' in secondlife, but it can be a bit annoying being knocked about by push guns while you are trying to do something.

Regarding concerts, I think the U2 concert was a 'tribute band'  and U2 themselves were not involved. Suzanne Vega did do a live concert in sl in August 2006, there is a youtube of that if I recall correctly.  There are quite often 'live' concerts by unknown artists in sl and some of those are excellent.

There are organised fashion shows, though I have not attended any. Apparently the designers go quite some way into choosing the right model ( avatar ) to model their new creations to best advantage ( avatar shapes vary tremedously ).

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 4:03 PM

Quote - Huge word of warning:  Anyone online RPG is a massive time sink.  If you enjoy being productive, stay away from these games!  :P

Hehe, luckily, my username and password don't seem to work (even after doing the lost password email etc...)  It's just as well.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 5:45 PM

i joined SL a very long time ago as well...used to be on Alpha World prior to that.
SL...don;t really lie it all tha tmuch..stuff costs real bucks. can't see the point in that..otherwise it was just flying around from place to place with not a whole lot going on, other than chatting.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2008 at 10:01 PM · edited Wed, 16 April 2008 at 10:14 PM

The real-time aspect is the draw. In motion, even low poly can have dramatic impact. Linden Labs has released the SL figures in Poser format as free downloads. They know there is cross over interest.

I love Poser, of course, but rendered animations aren't the same as real-time.  Some people here, I doubt have rendered anything in years.

But from another angle...

Poser Pose files can activate scripts. Actually scripts can be associated with figures is several ways. To a certain extent, Poser files and objects could be scripted to trigger responses similar to some of the second life scripted opjects.

The issue, however, is Poser isn't the type of app you would want to use in real-time, is it? Potential there though.

Now, if Daz was smart.....(i know, but humor me)

We'll I just think artzone and content sales would be a better marriage in an interactive enviornment.

I worked on Sims content for a bit. Success lies in customization and artistic expression. Sims and SL have drawn huge interest because it is fun. Problem with modern Poser content is it has become too complicated for the time and return.

Regarding people here hating on SL for copyright infringment...
We'll, the pot calling the kettle black and all that.....The industry is just corrupt, period. Over the years, very few are truly sincere in being appauled by copyright infingement, unless it is a russian site posting rendo gallery images; or it happens to them. lol

SeanMartin ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 6:27 AM

Now, Anton, y'don' wanna go and be speakin' all that Truthiness again. Some folks jus' don' like t'be hearin' it and it makes 'em all upset 'n' things... :-)

I also love the Sims and the idea behind SL -- although, like I said, getting off that damn intro island was a pain in the posterior. It's gotten more and more sophisticated over the years, but it does still seem to be stuck in the look of 1980s video games. Maybe some day someone will come up with the combination of texture detail with mesh simplicity that will make it all really work.

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 18 April 2008 at 8:06 PM

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

BastBlack ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2008 at 4:05 PM

SL is an interesting concept. I did try it awhile back, and it was sooooo boooorrrriiinnngggg...

Seriously, The Sims is much cooler, imho. You can do "Dressup" and don't have to bored to death.

Or you want to interact with people in real without having to wait to forever for a page to load like in SL, then try GaiaOnline.com.  Right now, I am digging Gaia. ^^

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.