Wed, Sep 18, 6:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: I'm anxious...Vista and Bryce

IO4 ( ) posted Tue, 15 April 2008 at 8:47 AM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 4:18 AM

My computer is...(sniff, sniff) ...no more - Dell are sending me a new one next week. I don't have all the specs (the old one had XP, 1GB ram I think, Nvidia 6800 graphics card) but I know it's gonna have Vista on it....

I've seen alot in forums elsewhere about people having problems running 3d software on Vista. Is that still the case or have there been updates which have fixed that? Does anyone have any tips about installing/using Bryce (or Daz Studio) on Vista? 

I wait in trepidation... 

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

photostar ( ) posted Tue, 15 April 2008 at 9:00 AM

My new computer from Dell came equipped with Vista (Nov. '07) and I have had no problems running Bryce on it.  Only adjustment I had to deal with was going from Windows 98se on the other computer to Vista.  Took me 2 weeks to re-learn where everything now is.  The processors take care of renders very well...in fact I am able to do other tasks while an image is rendering without any problems.

IO4 ( ) posted Tue, 15 April 2008 at 9:02 AM

That certainly sounds encouraging photostar, thank you:) Which graphics card do you use? Actually, are there any Nvidia cards that anyone would suggest as being the best to run with Vista for 3d software using open GL? 

Bryce Arena

photostar ( ) posted Tue, 15 April 2008 at 9:17 AM

Mine came with the NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE.  Seems to do the work very well.

Gog ( ) posted Tue, 15 April 2008 at 10:05 AM

biggest issues (IMHO) with vista are to do with drivers and memory consumption. Drivers Dell will have sorted out anyway. Memory you may top out on if your scenes get very large - but until you know the machine specs can't say much!

NOTE, throttle back on all the pretty graphics and sutff in Vista and you will notice better performance. I don't have vista on my machine, but bought a new PC for mum in law, and noted a huge difference in performance by ditching all the glass effects etc.

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Tue, 15 April 2008 at 11:09 AM

Quote - ...Is that still the case or have there been updates which have fixed that?...

When you Get on-line:
Control Panel -> System And Maintenance -> Windows Update -> Check for updates
That will check the M$ database against your Windows and list every update that is available for your machine.

Then go here:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2238
Lists most, if not all, of the performance tweaks that you can do to Vista.
Set it up to work the way you want it to.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

dhama ( ) posted Tue, 15 April 2008 at 2:47 PM

There is a little problem with the interface not fitting exactly right but It doesn't cause any other problems.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Tue, 15 April 2008 at 3:36 PM

Quote - There is a little problem with the interface not fitting exactly right but It doesn't cause any other problems.

Haven't seen that myself...
How does it does it not fit?
Too big? Too small? Off center?....

sol258975 ( ) posted Tue, 15 April 2008 at 4:09 PM

When I started to work with Windows vista I had some problems adding objects, or textures to the library, like "permission error"..or something like that.....Finally I updated to 6.1 and now all problems are solved. So I would recommend you to update your version.!

:b_confused:

IO4 ( ) posted Tue, 15 April 2008 at 5:39 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Just got the specs for the new computer - seems like they are leaving me with XP (?!) and an ATI Radeon grahpics card...never used one of those before, always had NVidia.

Bryce Arena

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 2:35 AM

Be warned about Dell, if they are replacing the computer you had and it was still under warranty that is fine, if you picked out the computer yourself great but if you had an older model Dell computer thats was under warrenty and they no longer sell that model they will send you the lowest grade spec computer they have. it could only have 512mb ram and trust me this is not enough to even run xp on.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

dhama ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 4:52 AM

Quote - > Quote - There is a little problem with the interface not fitting exactly right but It doesn't cause any other problems.

Haven't seen that myself...
How does it does it not fit?
Too big? Too small? Off center?....

Can't remember, I only tried Vista for a few days and reverted back because of other problems. I can only remember it didn't fit quite right... where the Create/Edit/Sky Fog tabs are.

Rochr ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 5:21 AM

Quote -
Just got the specs for the new computer - seems like they are leaving me with XP (?!) and an ATI Radeon grahpics card...never used one of those before, always had NVidia.

If you´ll get XP you´re fortunate. All the 3D software i´ve tested have rendered faster with XP, and that´s compared to a stripped Vista system. 

ATI cards are normally better suited for graphics purposes, so you shouldn´t have any issues there.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 12:19 PM · edited Thu, 17 April 2008 at 12:21 PM

Well I just ordered a new Dell XPS 720 and I got the nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX with 768MB on board. I insisted on Windows XP because of the memory gluttony issue and all the hubbub concerning Vista. It’ll be here next week as well. I’m as giddy as a schoolgirl…a pauper schoolgirl at that.

Quest

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 12:41 PM · edited Thu, 17 April 2008 at 12:43 PM

file_404390.jpg

Quest nice computer....i'm drooling just looking at it now..

Internal image for you.

PS:Image is off the net so i am not sure what is in this one or if you'll get all that but if you do mate then you have been beamed up by God.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

RodsArt ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 3:40 PM

Wow, Congrats Quest!! time to Rock-n-Roll.........we'll have to start a new thread seeing there have been a lot of recent upgrades....

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

Ang25 ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 6:19 PM

OH I'm still having issues with the mental picture I've got of Quest in pig tails looking like a giddy schoolgirl.  Hurry up and get that new PC so you can go back to looking like a man!
:b_funny:

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 7:57 PM

Quote - Thanks for the advice everyone.

ATI Radeon cards are now all sold with NVidia chips sets on them, I used nothing but The ATI Radeon since starting doing 3d graphic work and the work weel with all 3d programs. I have just upgraded my computer an i got the NVidia GeForce 8600 GT, 512mb card in it.

wildman2 ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 9:04 PM

ATI Radeon cards are now all sold with NVidia chips sets on them.Huh?

"Reinstall Windows" is NOT a troubleshooting step.

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2008 at 10:20 PM

Quote - ATI Radeon cards are now all sold with NVidia chips sets on them.Huh?

If i am wrong on this then i am sorry and a shamed of stating :a_blush:.The tech guy i get my computer work done by is a deep S...T:a_angry:, he's the one that told me i would be better off getting the NVidia card because all ATI Radeon cards now come out with the NVidia chip..

Quest ( ) posted Fri, 18 April 2008 at 3:18 AM

My apologies to IO4 (although lately IO more than 4) for having effectively hijacked your thread. I will take this flow as suggested to a new thread altogether. But let me say, ATI Radeon and nVidia are fighting the fight to determine which will remain on top. Both cards equally have their pros and cons and much of that depends on compatibility between systems. Many are quick to scorch a product, which for whatever reason didn’t work stellar on their particular system. This is not to say that I condone fly by night outfits that haven’t fully tested their product on the market before distributing it for sale as often happens in this get rich quick capitalist environment. If Dell suggests a particular hardware item and say that it is compatible than you must hold their feet to the fire. Best of luck with your new system and I hope to see some great art!

Quest

silverblade33 ( ) posted Fri, 18 April 2008 at 10:16 PM

Well, hopefully they'll release a 64 bit version of Bryce  (Maybe hear more at Siggraph? Can Bryce use multicore CPUs at the moment? Couple of things in Bryce I miss using: random skies and clipping terrains acting as a mask)
Anyway,  my suggested spec for perfect PC at the moment is:

-Antec 900 Gamer case. lots of room, very cool (tons of huge fans)

-Hiper 600+ watt PSU (very quiet and has long lead to motherboard needed for Antec case, which has PSU at the bottom)

-ASUS P5K-E motherboard (I went with Gamer Extreme and lot of folk have had huge problems with it, been fine for me thankfully so far)

-8 gig RAM, 64 bit apps and lots of RAM = can throw EVERYTHING you want into a scene, basically. oh I luuuuuuuvs it, it's my preciouuuussss! :p

-Minimum of 2x500 gig Hard drives. 1 for operating system (can also copy data to it for back up) and other for data, in case of crashes. Or 3+ drives, one RAID mirror of operating system drive.
(In future be great to keep OS drive as a flash memory drive.)

-Intel quad core (much better than AMD at moment), 6600 is nice and cheap but, price drop for next up version soon.

-Nvidia 8600 GT vid card with 512 RAM (to carry lots of textures). 8800s are still too expensive IMHO.

I love my new rig, makes things so much sweeter, and Vista is BETTER than XP, when tweaked.

New rig renders x10 faster with Vue and Maxwell than previous P4 3GHz Intel, 2 gig ram, 7600GTS vid card, XP Home (have XP Pro on my dual core game/render alternate).
One scene brought my old system to it's knees, 2% resources left, on new one, 75% resources left! Yummy.

:)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Fri, 18 April 2008 at 11:09 PM · edited Fri, 18 April 2008 at 11:10 PM

Quote - Can Bryce use multicore CPUs at the moment?

Bryce 6+ can use multi-cores. Earlier versions can't.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sun, 20 April 2008 at 10:38 AM · edited Sun, 20 April 2008 at 10:47 AM

"Well I just ordered a new Dell XPS 720 and I got the nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX with 768MB on board. I insisted on Windows XP because of the memory gluttony issue and all the hubbub concerning Vista. It’ll be here next week as well. I’m as giddy as a schoolgirl…a pauper schoolgirl at that.

**Quest"
I also have a fairly decent Dell...one problem, the power supply was not adequate for the video cards output! Bummer! Because I have a 3.5 power supply I believe, and the card needs a 6! So I am considering going with an outside power pak (*replace Dell one) and that will not be supported and may make an issue for my warrenty. ***Which every Dell owners really needs to have! LOL!

IO4, I wanted to say that I opted to stay with XP Pro, after talking to Daz about issues that I had heard of with Bryce/Carrara and Vista 64bit. Now that was 64 bit, not 32, and yet the tech guy at Daz said that at this time Daz did not support either Vista or 64 bit technology. NOW, since I have neither I cannot say it is a problem. I was only forwarding what Daz told me about both of those issues.  Either way if you do not get a computer up to the best specs of the older computer, be sure to call and complain immediately or you can't get it fixed. Dell is suppused to EXCEED the parameters of any system that has failed. i.e> you have a 20gb HD, and they no longer make those, they have to upgrade to a 50GB if that is the closest to what you had. I have owned Dell Optiplexes for 9 years and I do know what they need to do for you as a customer. I have had 2 system exchanges due to poor Dell's, and I have to say they exceeded my expectations willingly. Good CSR support is becomming very important to them because they are losing customers rapidly due to some poor equipment issues. 

I hope this helps.
Hugs
Ariana

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.