Sun, Sep 15, 11:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 14 4:17 pm)

Subject: memory

checkthegate ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2008 at 1:26 PM · edited Sun, 25 August 2024 at 6:00 PM

Im using windows xp professional.....is there a way to boost Vues Ram usage?

Im working with a populated scene...and I get crashes

Powertec ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2008 at 5:06 PM

I believe that the only way one can benefit from additional ( over 2mb ) memory is to have 64 bit.......

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2008 at 5:34 PM

Use layers and then hide the layers that you don't need to see.  Plus, turn off auto-update on the camera preview window (right-click on it).  Those two tricks help me squeeze the most out of my computer.

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2008 at 5:49 PM

That preview window sure is a memory killer!

chippwalters ( ) posted Tue, 13 May 2008 at 3:57 AM

Also, try turning off background draw threads as well. While Vue renders an unprecedented number of polys, it's sometimes really hard to work with them.

ashley9803 ( ) posted Tue, 13 May 2008 at 4:29 AM

My personal favourite is the Purge Memory button.
It may not really do anything, but is sure makes me feel good when something appears to be happening.
I always press this little fella before I do a final render. (and cross my fingers, pray to Allah and say 6 Hail Mary's that I won't get the "out of memory" message.)
BTW, what does "Purge Memory" actually do? Purge your memory I suppose.

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 13 May 2008 at 5:19 AM · edited Tue, 13 May 2008 at 5:21 AM

Check your memoy allocation in your taskmanager, purging can really release alot of memory back to you. I know 3D apps store alot of data in memory, I guess purging releases the memory used for this until it's needed. I guess.

Just to add, I find it's the texture maps which kill the memory the most so purging in Vue for me is essential with only 1 GB RAM.

ashley9803 ( ) posted Tue, 13 May 2008 at 5:25 AM

Good to see I'm not just going through the motions.
Thanks stormchaser.
I might suggest that turning the undo level down to just one could help with memory.
Seems logical.

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 13 May 2008 at 7:10 AM

Quote -
I might suggest that turning the undo level down to just one could help with memory.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing this but I like the handiness of having a few undos. Otherwise it would mean having to save after every one or two changes you make.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.