Sat, Aug 3, 2:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 7:14 am)

Subject: Petra Facade

thee_immortal_one ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2001 at 7:04 PM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 8:58 AM

file_181193.jpg

I have taken my Petra facade and exported it as an object file. I then imported it as-is and rendered it. The coloring needs work but it seems to have come out alright. So is this sellable ?

Photopium ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2001 at 9:32 PM

This is quite exquisite but is such a specialty item that I would only really use it once or twice lest I become too repetitive with my backdrops. (Already a big danger for me lol) So, yes, it's very high quality from what I can see but with limited usage I'd probably have to pass on it and use whatever free pillars I can find already. However, I'm just a poor guy with no credit card. If I were a rich guy with endless credit, I might pick it up on a whim. -WTB

caleb68 ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2001 at 11:32 PM

wow, i love it :) the detail is great, is this the finished product or is it going to be a complete building?

sparrowheart ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 2:48 AM

It is certainly of high enough quality to be sold. You have done a wonderful job with it. I also would like to know if there is going to be a complete building to go along with it. (Or maybe a series of add-ons later). I think that William the Bloody made a very good point with what he said. There are a lot of free pillars running around, and most hobbyists will probably go with those, since usually the focus of a picture is the human model anyway. Not that it would not be a lot nicer to have something gorgeous like this in the render -- but most people probably would spend their Poser budget on something more versatile. That is not said to discourage you, by any means. This is a fine piece of work. This is very much an item that will have to reach out and "hook" someone's attention and convince them that they "have" to have it. Never underestimate the power of good marketing :) Right now I can see a lot of possibilities for this model. There is a romanticism about it that would go very well with -- say, some of the period dresses of Serge Marck, Traveler and Anton. I wish you the very best of luck with this, as it is truly stunning work. :)))

sparrowheart ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 2:51 AM

By the way, I just realized that there are even more possibilities with this model, if you judiciously use only parts of it in a single render. The top level of the arch is simply amazing. This piece is almost a whole building in itself, if you take it apart (visually, not physically, LOL), module by module, and exploit the different opportunities for making beautiful pictures. I just love it :)))

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 4:21 AM

Wow, really nice detail. We are totally impressed. Really nice, what software did you use to model it? Did it take you long? You definately have our respect. Koodos Mike and Sharen SAM'S3D

bloodsong ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 9:55 AM

heyas; the quality is certainly professional. if you split the object into pieces (they may already be), so that it becomes a modular construction set, then it will have even more value. i can see the top round cupola thing being a stand-alone piece, and the top side bits. if you create a repeating end pillar, people can make sides to it. etc.

TJ ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 10:31 AM

Its definitely professional looking and looking good :-)

melanie ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 12:49 PM

Bloodsong has a great idea. I think if this came apart so you can rearrange it in different ways, it would be so diverse, it could be used again and again and never look like the same scene. You might consider that. By the way, it's beautiful! Melanie

fiontar ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 5:18 PM

I agree, it is superb and professional in quality, but making it modular and possibly adding more pieces that would match, like textured stairs, etc... would greatly broaden it's appeal for potential buyers. :-)

LatexBard ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 8:18 PM

Great piece. I might even consider purchasing it for one time use... if I saw it presented and sold as the true Petra, i.e... as carved from the mountain face - textured appropriately.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 20 June 2001 at 9:51 PM

Like LatexBard, I would be most interested in a true period reproduction (but then I'd have to buy some camels and gear for the caravan parked in front!), maybe with weathered details. However, I suspect that most people would want to have spiffy new components so that they can build lots of structures, and you'll get more sales that way. It is a fine piece of work! Carolly

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2001 at 4:50 PM

heyas; i'm not familiar with the real petra.... could you achieve the effect you wanted, latex, by partly embedding this obj into, say, a terrain obj? weathering and such can be done with textures. (if the textures were included -- maybe even different sets -- that would also increase its value. :) )

Jim Burton ( ) posted Fri, 22 June 2001 at 6:49 PM

Attached Link: http://arabculture.about.com/culture/arabculture/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.raing

I'd buy this (always been facinated by Petra) if it included the rest of the cliff too, so it would be a suitable backdrop. Anyway, the link is to a picture I found on the web, it looks like Petra has been "restored" quite a lot recently, I don't remember it being in this good of shape. A loot of movies have been shot with it as a backdrop, including the recent SF "Dune", I'd buy it. Makeing it into something else doesn't intrest me, I want Petra!

Jim Burton ( ) posted Fri, 22 June 2001 at 6:52 PM

file_181195.jpg

Looks like the link is too long to work, here is what it pointed to.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.