Thu, Sep 19, 9:47 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: CPU (full load) usage changes depending on the scene file?

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2008 at 5:10 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 7:08 PM

Okay, basically explained, a lot of my scenes I load up (and switch to High Priority) and it will take all my 4 cores right up to 100%, and there it basically sticks until its done rendering.

But, every once in a while I load up a (different) scenefile and it will have my CPU usage float in between 70%-85%

Anyone else see this happen? (with any amount of cpu cores)

Just kind of a strange observance....

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

ThunderStone ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2008 at 5:48 AM

It depends on what the scene has, the total amount of polygons, reflections, refractions etc. I noticed that even without the high priority setting, that my dual core gets a good workout. I try to limit the amount for each scene to keep the rendering time down to the same day time period. :lol:

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2008 at 6:05 AM

I am noticing that the scenes that bounce the cpu load have a visual frequency to them...meaning they have lots of small spots of reflection, specularity, etc. all over the scene.

Not really complaining, as I am rendering faster overall than before. But, for a second there...I thought I had burnt out a core or something!

*I had been using the Task Managrers Affinity to just use 3 cores only as the stock heatsink/fan lets my cpu go right up to its max operating temperature. Not a good thing to do for any extended amount of time, imho.

I'll be ordering a new cpu cooler, that's fer sure, lol.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2008 at 6:47 AM

and put an extra fan outside the cpu  to keep the system cooler... I notice that now even as I am rendering even with the ac going full blast that the built in fan AND the extra cooler for the cpu can hardly keep up with those mathematical computation that goes within Bryce...

I just realized something... We're artists by numbers!!!  We color by numbers and we draw by numbers... LOL

:b_funny:

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2008 at 8:28 AM

It's ALL numbers man.....they're everywhere.

Yeah, when I built this latest PC I actually bucked my usual tradition and spent more than $25 on the case, lol.

I got an Antec Mini P180, it has a rear 120mm fan and a top 200mm fan. Very silent. Including the power supply, also from Antec. So, the motherboard temps are great, its the cpu that turns into an oven.

**I just gone fooling around with the "smart fan" settings in my bios. Setting it to PWM got far more responsiveness out of the fan rpm, so when it the cpu goes under full load and gets hotter, its fan will spin faster now then it did before.

Still goes up to 55 C, yet AMD puts the ceiling as 61C. Still a little close for me, lol.

sackrat ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2008 at 11:56 AM

Can't you go into the BIOS and set the shutdown temp a tad higher ? Of course with AMD it's fairly easy to fry the CPU. At least that's my understanding,..........I use Intel  Xeons.

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2008 at 12:52 PM

Its a known fact that AMD CPU's run hotter than their Intel counterparts.

Which is why I put more effort in cooling on my AMD CPU Systems.

1. I use Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound between my CPU and HeatSink/Fan the Ceramique is not conductive so safer to work with.  The Arctic Silver 3 is metalic in nature and conductive.  Both products are one of the best CPU to Heat Sink transfer compounds but the Ceramique is the safer version.  Note of Caution too much or too little of the compound will reduce its effectivince.

2. I still dont trust liquid cooling methods.. so I try to purchase Low CFM Fans with TMD Type of Motors.    So as an example on my Production PC I have the follwing.

3. CPU Fan.

4. Heating Pipe + Fan for Video Card

5. Front Chassis Fan.

6. 2 Rear Cooling fans this is in addition to what my PSU Fan.

7. I use OCZ Dual Channel Ram for performance and the fact that they come with Heat Sinks.

6.  Additional Heat Sinks on other Components that you would not normally apply any fans.

Notice the various sizes of these heatsinks?? They come with special adhesive at the bottom which not only allows the heatsink to stay on the chip, but to act as a Heat Transfer compound.

I have safely overclocked an AMD Barton 3200+ 1.8Ghz CPU to 2.1Ghz and the BIOS Reports it to be running like a 3700+

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2008 at 4:59 PM

Can't you go into the BIOS and set the shutdown temp a tad higher ?
-Basically, yes but that doesn't change what AMD states is the maximum operating temp for the cpu, I'm just trying to stay well below that.

Yup, Arctic Silver Ceramique, it IS the best, imo.

The idea behind TMD Type of Motors are sound, I have yet to try one.

I used to have front case fans in my old PC but removed them after testing cpu/case/hdd temps and found that they didn't make much difference at all. (every rig is different though)

A heatsink for my bridge is a damned good idea though!

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Mon, 28 July 2008 at 12:06 PM

Quote -
A heatsink for my bridge is a damned good idea though!

You can buy them from anyone who sells cpu components.. they cost about $0.50 to $1.50 depending on the size so they are not that expensive.  They come in variety of colors... silver, black, gold.

RodsArt ( ) posted Mon, 28 July 2008 at 4:18 PM

*They come in variety of colors... silver, black, gold.

*Purple TOO !!

Yeah, after losing a Mobo, Proc, & 1 stick of ram, I redid the system for coolness, especially with 2 - 252 opterons & an extra 2 sticks. Couple of TT CPU fans & a stronger back of case fan. Then I won the Vid card, which without the proper power supply was creating a ton of heat because it's own air ramp wasn't keeping up. Very noticable drag on applications when tacking the sys. New Power supply made all the difference.......all fans are cruising now. Whew!!

Great Site for Extras:
http://www.xoxide.com/

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.