Wed, Sep 18, 1:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: V4.2 Frad lip problem-marks

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2008 at 9:28 PM · edited Fri, 16 August 2024 at 7:00 PM

file_411012.jpg

I purchased Frad here at Renderosity. A nice package, but when I render I keep getting those ' scratch ' marks. I haven't the foggyest idea of whats causing them.

I have a PC with XP and plenty of ram.

The figure is V4.2 with morphs++.  I added the the texture that came with the Frad package, I just morphed the head. I didn't even add clothes or hair. I just ran a test render and the marks showed up I did a standard render and a firefly render, both had the scratches. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

all the elements are in the Poser7 runtime.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2008 at 9:41 PM

What camera are you using to render?

Have you tried a different pose/angle of the head? A different light set?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2008 at 9:51 PM

I checked the original textures, no marks. I tried different textures from the  package and the marks are in the same place on all of them.

the computer locked up twice when rendering.

I rendered using the face camera.

I left everything in default. Shouldn't everything work in default?

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2008 at 9:59 PM

Those are specular highlights that are not correct because you're rendering without shadows. 

My Freebies

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2008 at 10:05 PM · edited Sat, 02 August 2008 at 10:08 PM

Click the image for a larger view.

Perhaps try these render settings. This is what I use.

The bucket size is variable and what you set it at will largely depend on your computer's memory. It  can be adjusted by values of 256, 128, 64, 32, 16, 8  if you need to lower  the value if you find that you are running out of memory when rendering.  If you have a powerful computer with lots and lots of memory, you can increase the bucket size to 512.

You can save the settings by clicking "Save Preset".  Then when you want to use it again, just pick "load preset" and it will show in the drop down menu.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 7:15 AM

file_411033.png

Acadia - I matched your seetings and here is the result.A piece of the head is gone, the scratches are still there and I'm getting black and white horizonal  streaks

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 7:21 AM

My settings window is a bit different from yours.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 7:24 AM

file_411035.jpg

My settings window is a bit different from yours.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 7:28 AM

pjz99 - Without shadows? I checked the lights and shadows was checked off.. I renderer a a head without theshine on the lips and it rendered okbut the glossy lips cause problems.

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 7:43 AM

Default Poser lights are really awful.  Try a different set of lights.

LadyMari ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 8:40 AM

If the reflection on the lips are causing problems, I usually go into the material room and turn down the specular texture strength on the lips, if possible (if set up that way).  Otherwise, I end up fixing them in postwork.  (I really wish more vendors would add non glossy makeup versions of lips for their characters.  Not every woman goes around with shiney lip gloss on all the time.)  As for the other issues you are having, I have no idea what could be causing those, especially the hole in the head.  That is just strange.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 9:04 AM

Why do I have a hole in my head now?

LadyMari ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 1:31 PM

Ummm...I meant the hole (or missing piece rather) in the rendered image you posted at 7:15...not that you have a hole in your head now.  ;-)

Philywebrider ( ) posted Mon, 04 August 2008 at 8:08 AM

file_411078.jpg

I was refering to the image as well...  :oP

Apparently the scratch problem is the specular adjustments as pjz99 suggested, but I do have shadows on. I tried about four other skins without a problem.

Now I got to figure what to change and how to change it.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 04 August 2008 at 9:37 AM

Well, it LOOKS like incorrect specular caused by rendering without shadows, but if you have them on and have checked that the lights are casting shadows as well, then it may be some wonky configuration on the Specular channel.  It is generally not a good practice to use both the Specular and Alt_Specular channels at the same time imo.  I also wouldn't use the Translucence channels at all, that is kind of a strange concept for me - while skin can be translucent in the real world, it doesn't make sense to do this with a polygonal model which is essentially hollow.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 04 August 2008 at 10:23 AM

file_411082.jpg

Incidentally Poser's default lighting setup is junk.  Any render you do with the default lighting will look wretched, with some variation of exactly HOW wretched.  Depth mapped shadows never look realistic even at very high quality settings, and the default light setup has extremely low quality settings for the depth mapped shadows.  The default lights are also Infinite, which will never look realistic.  Here's a straightforward portrait lit with spotlights and blurred raytraced shadows, along with a low power IBL omnidirectional fill light.  While not the most realistic render in the universe, to me this setup is a lot more appealing and convincing than the default.  Feel free to play with these lights: [ http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrfilelock/download.php?fileid=33527&key=8122](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrfilelock/download.php?fileid=33527&key=8122)

Jim Burton's Ingenue Vickie 3, Future Hair by 3Dream, DAZ SP3 high-rez tex.

My Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.