Sat, Sep 21, 5:42 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Migrating Vue to a new machine

lookoo ( ) posted Tue, 05 August 2008 at 3:35 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:34 PM

Hi folks!

I really,really need some advice how best to migrate my existing Vue (and Poser) installations to a new 64 bit machine.

I have Poser 4 and 6 and Vue 6 infinite installed on my E partition on an IDE hard drive under XP 32 bit.

Now I have a brandnew machine with Windows Vista premium home edition running on a quadcore 64 bit system with 8Gig RAM and a fast graphics card.

All fine. But how best to migrate my ageold applications (Poser 6 still acessing a huge Poser 4 runtime) to the new system? I copied 79 Gigabite -my entire old E partition- to the exising D partition on the new 64 bit system.

Obviously my apps have some disorientation issues now.

Poser 6 runs faster but can't find squad. Even when I copied all Poser 4 textures into the Poser 6 runtime folder my saved figures didn't get all the conforming figures right,and even without their textures.

Loading saved poser files doesn't work at all.

Vue 6 infinite asks me for my serial which I had forgotten in the meantime. I have retrieved it from the e-on website now but I worry about nodelocked license issues. Loading saved vue files should be a problem too I reckon.

So what to do? Maybe delete the copied files, create an E-partition on the new system and then copy everything into that new partition?

What kind of experiences and suggestions do you have?

Thanks alot in advance!

Lookoo

Rutra ( ) posted Tue, 05 August 2008 at 8:37 AM

I went through this ordeal a few months ago. :-)
I didn't take notes of the process so I'll just write a few things from the top of my mind. This is what worked for me, others might have other opinions and for sure there are many ways of achieving the same result.

a) Ensure you can have both machines working for a long time. The transition will be gradual and to avoid frustrations you should be able to work in the old and check how things are organized there while you gradually build the new one. I still didn't finish this process, it's been 3 or 4 months already...

b) In the new machine, make sure you always run Vue with a right click and "run as administrator". This is absolutely vital. If you don't do this, you'll run into all kinds of trouble and it will not be obvious what it is. (There's an option to set this permanently but I never bothered to do it myself.)

c) After installing Poser and Vue, you have to bring content from the old to new one. I did things the "dirty" way: just copied everything, both Poser content and Vue content, from one machine to the other, into new folders (not over the new installation). I mean, everything. Then, both in Poser and Vue, I pointed them to the freshly copied content (in Poser as another runtime, in Vue as just another library). This generated lots of duplicated files but my time is more precious than a few GB wasted on disk.

d) Even after doing the step above, when you open a scene in Vue that you created in the old computer, chances are Vue will tell you that some texture is missing. If you want to open old scenes in the new computer, you have two options: a) the hard way, which is to tell Vue where everything is, b) the easy way, which is to save the old scene in the old computer with the option "include texture maps" and "compress". Copy the scene to the new computer and it should open fine. The problem with this "easy" way is that you have to keep the old computer running for a long time, as long as you want to open old scenes in the new computer. You can also have a mix of both methods.

e) My main work is in Vue, my work in Poser is very, very basic and I never bothered to solve the issues you talk about of opening old Poser scenes in the new Poser. If I need something, I just create it new. Maybe you should ask this at the Poser forum.

That's it, really. Very simple. It worked for me, I hope it works for you. :-)

lookoo ( ) posted Tue, 05 August 2008 at 10:02 AM

Thanks alot, Rutra, for taking the time!

Why actually not copy the old content "over" the freshly installed version?  I guess theyexplain in the handbook how to do the other option, i.e. "pointing" to another folder, right?

Sven

Rutra ( ) posted Tue, 05 August 2008 at 1:03 PM

Quote - "Why actually not copy the old content "over" the freshly installed version?"

Well, it's safer this way, the risk of ruining anything is zero. Anyway, if you copy it over, make sure you don't copy any of the binaries because these are different in Vue depending on the OS version (32 or 64 bit).

How to point to another folder in Vue:
In each of the dialog boxes for "load object", "load atmosphere", "load material", "load function", etc, etc, you have a tiny little button with a blank page that says "new collection" when you put your mouse over it. Just click there and point to the copied folder. You have to do this for each type of stuff (object, atmosphere, material, etc).

lookoo ( ) posted Tue, 05 August 2008 at 2:23 PM

Okay thanks for the advice!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.