Sun, Sep 15, 11:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 5:10 am)

Subject: Locally Exotic challenge

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 6:50 PM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 9:23 PM

This is a bit of an experiment...

This challenge stems from a discussion in the forum, which can be seen HERE

In the course of the discussion, we debated if  photo's from "exotic: locations got more views than images of  "normal" locations..

Let's face it..not everyone lives in the Grand Canyon...or other breathtaking locations around the world..

So, the challenge is, show us, just how exotic it can be WHERE YOU LIVE !!!!!

I'm not going to lay down a bunch of strict rules....

It should be NEAR where you live...Not 100 miles away....close to home..

You can either post your image here in this thread....

or post the image in your gallery , and  post a  link to it in this thread...

This is meant to be informal...let's have some fun and maybe learn a little about where every one lives !!!

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

VelvetMoxie ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 7:24 PM

Here's one...Sodus Point, NY

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1728151

More to come.

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 7:27 PM

Great ...That's not too far from me either !!!

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 7:28 PM · edited Wed, 13 August 2008 at 7:28 PM

Here's one from me...

I shot this over 4th of July weekend..

It was the "digital photo of the day"  today on one local TV station !!

Sylvan Sunset
by pushinfaders
in Photography & Sea/Undersea
Wed, August 13, 2008 7:21 pm

www.bclaytonphoto.com

MrsRatbag ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 8:26 PM

file_411717.jpg

Well, I'd say 90% of my uploads are from around my home, I haven't had a go-away vacation since about 2004, I think.  But here's one about 12 miles from home...the ferry in Elliott Bay, with the Olympic Mountains showing behind, a very, very common sight around here!

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 9:17 PM

The mountains are just beautiful...

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bentchick ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2008 at 9:42 PM

Attached Link: http://http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1728284

I'm so glad you decided to do this! I don't have a ticket to anywhere real exotic yet, but I'm waiting for Tom to come through!!! LOL ;p

Where are we going Tom???? Iceland..... Bora Bora????  ....... Cleveland????? LOL :P

Kim Hawkins

Kim Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery

VelvetMoxie ( ) posted Thu, 14 August 2008 at 3:50 AM

Beautifully captured!  You need to drop one of the "http//"'s tho.

camera ( ) posted Thu, 14 August 2008 at 9:37 AM
GhostBear1890 ( ) posted Thu, 14 August 2008 at 1:52 PM

file_411797.jpg

From Huntsville, AL......Huntsville Botanical Gardens....looking through the walkway at the water garden back at the formal garden.

VelvetMoxie ( ) posted Thu, 14 August 2008 at 7:13 PM

Beautifully done, GhostBear!  My husband was born in Huntsville.

GhostBear1890 ( ) posted Thu, 14 August 2008 at 7:42 PM

Quote - Beautifully done, GhostBear!  My husband was born in Huntsville.

I wasn't.....we moved here from Alaska in 1988.  There's some pretty cool places around here to photograph.

Digitaleagle ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2008 at 12:16 AM

My submission isn't an exotic place but an exotic animal, or at least I think of the buffalo as exotic. This shot was taken last Saturday about 5 miles from my home in the Chickasaw national Recreational Area on a nature walk with my two grandsons. I was inspired to post this guy because one of the things busi2ness said in his thread he wanted to see was the bison, hope you enjoy him.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1728892

Royce

babuci ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2008 at 3:21 AM

file_411855.jpg

Very fascinating tread and find many capture quet nice here sofar. My local excotic place is15 minutes drive ( in a 50 speed zone) from where I live. Called Tuggerah Lake.  I have many shot taken here I find it interesting and very good location for sunsets and moonsets.

seeyus Tunde

TomDart ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2008 at 7:31 PM · edited Sat, 16 August 2008 at 7:45 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1729940

I join Digataleagle in posting an animal.  Sure, this did not seem exotic to me but last year I would not have had opportunity for this raptor image..and most will not get the chance.  So, this might fit the thread.

PD154 ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2008 at 8:30 PM

In the middle of South east London is my little haven, of woodland called Russia dock woodlands, when you consider the concrete jungle that is London, its a nice relaxing place to be, even without ones camera

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1728602

It takes one tree to make a billion matchsticks, but one match to burn a billion trees

tizjezzme ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2008 at 9:50 PM

Some lovely local exotic images here !  What a great thread!  I'll have to see what I can come up with here in Minnesota ... hooterville, that is, Minnesota.  lol 

"The only thing coming straight out of MY camera is the cable!"
P. Vermeulen

MrsRatbag ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2008 at 10:20 PM

Hey, I was born in Little Falls, Minnesota, and moved to the Twin Cities when I was 30 and lived five years there, some of my happiest!  Minnesota is beautiful!

busi2ness ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 1:00 PM · edited Thu, 21 August 2008 at 1:06 PM

file_412330.jpg

This is the full version of the [Vredefort dome](http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1162): [ http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1637370](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1637370)

For those of you only interested in the bare facts: The Vredefort dome is the biggest visible crater on earth, about 90 miles across (some sources say 60 miles)  and was created by a meteorite of about 6 miles in diameter, hitting earth about 2,000 million years ago. The crater rim is about 90 miles from my home. Here is another satellite picture. The impact melted the gold and forced it to the surface and South Africa's gold mines are located around the crater.

Shari said "hooterville"! :ohmy: Denise, show us what you have, I bet she is too scared to upload any of her pics here.

Digitaleagle: Royce, thank you for that upload of the Bison. While being surrounded by animals you would regard as exotic, I long to see the world on your side, the things you take for granted.

Piet Vermeulen, South Africa

rocserum ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 4:08 PM

Attached Link: schermerhorn

I live where most of the country is lower as the sea, so in the old days they invented the watermills. And if everything goes as they predict, I've to buy a lifeboat to hang it on my balcony.

These mills are about 20 miles north and we have to pass them when whe're go for a visit to our daughter:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1624857&member

Cornelis, Heemskerk, the Netherlands

tizjezzme ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 6:06 PM

file_412356.jpg

good one piet ... reverse psychology never has worked on me.  :-P    lol  here's one taken just 5 miles from me.. less than.  Hope it fits in with this challenge... and a fun one it is!  There are some excellent entries here so far!!  :-)

I'm heading for North Dakota now ...... see you sometime Saturday or sunday.

HAVE FUN ...   ((hugz)) Shari  tah tah  ;-)

"The only thing coming straight out of MY camera is the cable!"
P. Vermeulen

auntietk ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2008 at 8:55 PM

Thanks for the link, Piet ... I'll start looking around for exotic images of Seattle and the surrounding area!  :)

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

auntietk ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 12:29 AM

file_412370.jpg

Okay - I've gone digging around, and have come up with three images from exotic South Snohomish County in Washington State, USA.

First off, here is the exotic Mukilteo-Clinton ferry running in a beautiful December sunset.

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

auntietk ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 12:31 AM

file_412371.jpg

Next we have the exotic Olympic Mountains, as seen from the cliff down at Picnic Point just south of Mukilteo, Washington. 

auntietk ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 12:38 AM

file_412372.jpg

And now, for something completely different ...

This is the exotic boat lift at the Edmonds harbor.  I think this scene is just as common as can be, but that's what I thought when I posted a picture of the dry storage lot at the marina, too!  (They stack boats three high in huge metal shelving frames.)   This photo shows the mechanism they use to launch boats.  You can back your boat trailer up to the sling, and they slide those straps under the boat.  Then they turn on the motor on the lift, and set your boat down in the water.  Snazzy, huh?  You should see the one they use to put the really big boats in and out of the water!  It handles power boats up to 60 feet long.  It's sort of like this, only ... well ... different.  :) 

micturn ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 12:59 AM

I'm pretty sure Galahs are native to Australia, so that's exotic to all you foreigners :)

micturn ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 1:00 AM

I'm pretty sure Galahs are native to Australia, so that's exotic to all you foreigners :)

beachzz ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 1:28 AM · edited Fri, 22 August 2008 at 1:28 AM

file_412380.jpg

Here are my exotic entries---this is the Eel River, about half a mile from my house.  I walk here almost every day; this was at sunset.

beachzz ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 1:29 AM

file_412381.jpg

Here we are in my yard---this IS home!!

beachzz ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 1:31 AM · edited Fri, 22 August 2008 at 1:31 AM

file_412382.jpg

Last, but surely not least----a redwood grove north of me about 20 miles.  This is where I live!!

auntietk ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 8:31 AM

I'd love to see the galahs, Micturn!  Try again! 

MrsLubner ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 10:41 AM

Bruce, so, I am assuming no limit to the number of posts to this?

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

rocserum ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 11:52 AM

file_412412.jpg

On 5 mile distance, ( we live in the western coastal area of the Netherlands) we have a   national park “Noord Hollands Duinreservaat”. Our water source. Only attainable on foot or with a bicycle.  This shot was taken from a special birdwatchers shed, no bird at this moment, but its very quiet. Cornelis

busi2ness ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 2:10 PM · edited Fri, 22 August 2008 at 2:17 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1365573

file_412421.jpg

About 20 miles from my home is a private reserve, home to these white rhinos. See [Bona Bona](http://www.bonabona.co.za). It is not common to see 5 rhinos in the same capture of which two are pregnant cows. In this reserve they have 1 cow and her calf quite used to human presence in the distance. Weddings photos are then captured with this cow and her calf about 50 yards away, just for that exotic touch.

The link supplied is also a hat trick on these rhinos.

I stand amazed at the collection of photographs being uploaded here.

beachzz ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 2:35 PM

Having these awesome creatures so close, being able to see them, now THAT'S amazing!!

Laelia ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 3:30 PM

file_412426.jpg

Wish You find here something exotic... I first upload I have to explain ( as I am the only french here ...lol)

It's in tne south east of France in French Riviera
An area (few kilometers) spread between country and sea
I show you there a natural terrace upon the sea
The natural tree in  French Riviera is the "Pin maritime" often laid down by the strong wind
This wind, surfers love there !!! lol

There's 2 districts ( called départements in France ) in French Riviera :
the Alpes Maritimes where I live, Wendy ( aka Redchilicat here) visited in may 2008
The Var where lives our friend Nathalie ( here aka Nathalie06)

I shot this pic middle frontier of Var and Alpes Maritimes
 Hope i was'nt too long in my explanations as to show you South East of France

Tara ( Auntiekt) I wish you think France is still exotic in your meaning of Exotic

Amitiés à tous
Magali

Laelia ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 5:09 PM

file_412440.jpg

For Shari Medley erotic / exotic

This statue is placed near the entrance door of a "chic" hotel
in Eze Old Village ( French Riviera, Alpes Maritimes)

auntietk ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 8:01 PM

Oh Magali, I DO still think France is exotic!  :)  The French Riviera is a place we here in Seattle only dream of.  Thank you!

@ PJ, I was assuming three posts per person, like other threads, but I didn't ask.  Although the running threads are unlimited, like "The Picture Below Me" and "Instant Recall," so who knows?  Good question. 

And Piet!  Rhinos, no matter how many there are, whether they're pregnant or not, and whether they pose for wedding shots or not, are ALWAYS exotic!  LOL!  Wow.  Way cool image!

I love seeing any photos of The Netherlands, because I have a good friend who is from there.  :)

TomDart ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 8:16 PM

I must agree with auntie...

tennesseecowgirl ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 9:15 AM

file_412480.jpg

Shes   back...............

Hey all...         I got a message or a challenge form Piet to join in the fun.. so not sure how exotic this is but its very current I took it yesterday while out on a drive..          you can see the water level here is quite low..        this is Norris Lake in Norris Tennessee.. about a 30 minute drive from my home.. 

TomDart ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 9:22 AM · edited Sat, 23 August 2008 at 9:23 AM

This is such a fine part of the country, from the lakes to the Smoky Mtns..I have to get a shot here!   This is the lake where the Osprey pictured in my gallery was released recently.

busi2ness ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 10:24 AM

file_412485.jpg

The dictionary says "exotic" is "strikingly different" or "from elsewhere". What I see here is definitely strikingly different. I am suffering from wanderlust.

This is the picture I would show anyone if I have to explain what it looks like where I live. The biome is classed as flat, Savannah grass land. Can you see the grain (corn) silos in the distance? That is where I live. Some people are so blasé that they hardly see the animals when they travel through every day.

Some sources say this is the only area where Zebra and Gemsbuck occurred. To the east no Gemsbuck and  to the west hardly a Zebra.

Oh btw: Thank you for joining the thread Lynell. ;)

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 11:05 AM · edited Sat, 23 August 2008 at 11:06 AM

file_412489.jpg

Enjoy seeing everyones li'l slice of the world!

Here's one from my neck of the woods...this is one of the watertowers on the grounds of the abandoned Roebling Steel Mill.

J:biggrin:E

TomDart ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 6:40 PM

Piet, it is difficult to think folks would take the daily routine and miss the animals...the animals we without those in the back yard find so exotic and valuable.  Then aqain, take a drive from the Seattle of Washington state in the USA to Vancouver, Canada  and take the side roads..the ocean is wonderful..the mountains you can see are totally wonderful.  Flying in we went over Mt. Hood, Oregon on the way to Seattle and were amazed.  So...we become accustomed to the face?

Joe, thanks for the photos and the  wonderful sky shot at the old steel mill...I am still looking and know where it is now..been here all along but a few more miles away than I could make this weekend.

ralph49 ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 11:01 PM

file_412527.jpg

It's great to have a look around everyone neighbourhood. So here is an "Exotic Bonsai Style Mangrove" captured at my fav place just to the south of Point Vernon,  Hervey Bay, Australia.

www.hervey.com.au/

MrsLubner ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2008 at 1:38 AM

These shots are so ... what's the word... STELLAR...that I am at a total loss. Everything here looks so plain. And really, my biggest weekness in photos is landscapes. I can't seem to find anything at all that looks exotic and even worse, the few things I have seen that MIGHT work - didn't.

Fudge Buckets!!! What to do?

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

ralph49 ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2008 at 3:52 AM

file_412564.jpg

Oh dear,  did you mean Exotic??    ..  Well does a lion dance look exotic?? Photo taken last Chinese New Year down at one of the local restaurants opposite the beach Hervey Bay, Australia

Laelia ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2008 at 8:20 AM

file_412571.jpg

Carnival was exotic in february, this year in Nice...

tennesseecowgirl ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2008 at 8:45 AM

PJ  my sister lives in the area you do,  the town of Rescue, and I have to disagree with you I believe it is a beautiful area,  how about a picture of the Capital building or the historic Gold Country,  that shows the area and the history and beauty of where you call home,   I know I for one would love to see it....

Love the Carnival and Chinese New Year additions..

have a great day all...

awjay ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2008 at 9:26 AM

about 20 miles from here.....

coast

auntietk ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2008 at 10:36 AM

@ PJ -

Just take pictures of what you see!    The landscape we see every day doesn't look exotic to us.  Just shoot what's there, and let us look!  To Piet, rhinos who pose for wedding pictures are just an interesting curiosity.  (!)  It's all perspective.  I would LOVE to see pictures of your area!  I haven't been through there since about 1980 or so, and all I remember are the tomato trucks. 

:)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.