Tue, Oct 1, 5:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: I'm a Runtime newbie... couple of questions

Darkworld ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2008 at 3:33 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 5:28 PM

Well, i now have to boot Poser THREE times in a row before i can start working; it takes that many for it to finally build the library list.  My machine is INSANE at this point so i know it has nothing to do with my system- i figure it is 100% because my Runtime is just too big...

I can accept that, it was only a matter of time.  So what I plan to do is when i can catch a break reinstall PPro in a different directory and gasp rebuild the Runtime from the ground up instead of copying it over again; but this time I want to do it right.

So when I'm installing, say I want categories like Modern, Sci-Fi, Fantasy.  How would I go about doing that correctly from the beginning?  For example say I just bought Sci-FiSuit009 or whatever, I install the content, then when the directory comes up I just change the path to a different Runtime?

I've been using Poser for 8 years now but I've never split the runtime so I'm a total newb at this.  I know there are apps that can do it without me starting over... but I'd really rather not deal with it.  I have SO MANY lost files/parts/bump maps/pngs/OBJs etc of stuff I no longer use, and orphaned parts of content I tried to delete ages ago, that I'm going to bite the bullet and start over ENTIRELY.  I want poser MUCH leaner and meaner than it is now.

Anyway, given that I'll be reinstalling from scratch, and handy tips on setting up 3 or 4 runtimes from the get-go would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Realmling ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2008 at 4:11 PM

Plan out just how you want to set things up first...then go through and do it. I'm sure mine is probably over-organized....but it works for what I do.

I have my runtimes organized by figure (with all clothing and such specific to each figure), separate ones for animals/creatures so I can only load what I feel like playing with be it fantasy or real, one for just hair so I'm not digging through each figure runtime, props are divided up by category so I only have to load the runtime in Poser for what I need each render. I also have things divided into commercial and noncommercial use.

So, basically I have something along the lines of:  

Poser Runtimes --> Commercial --> David --> (all specific files for David)
Poser Runtimes --> Commercial --> Props-Buildings --> (props for interior/exterior building things)
etc

And on and on it goes. I keep the runtimes I use pretty much every time always loaded up in Poser, and add and subtract others as needed for various projects. The fewer runtimes you have Poser load, the faster it will go at start up...but on my new machine, I don't really notice it that much if most of them are kept in.

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2008 at 4:16 PM · edited Wed, 27 August 2008 at 4:21 PM

When I had separate runtimes Poser could not find the geometries or textures one time out of ten even with absolute paths and paths checked by 3rd party utilities... for a while I ran separate runtimes with all the textures and geometries in the main runtime but that made managing files for moving, copying, and deleting a pain. Now I have everything in deep sub-folders in my main runtime but Poser parked on my empty "download runtime" so it opens quickly... I uses Dimension3D's system enhansement that seamlessly loads any Poser content found in any Windows or Explorer window into Poser with the double click... it also gives all these content files icon based on the Poser .png or .rsr. thumbnail. It also saves into any OS window and does tricks like "load conformed with morphs and deformers". I usually use the freeware 2xExplorer instaed of the satandard Windows explorer because it has two view ports, location bookmarks, and an incredibly fast search.

That all said... yes... just redirect the new content into the new runtimes if you do choose to do it that way. I had runtimes for each figure and their clothes, runtimes for types of scenes and props and a runtime for shared resources such as hair and jewelry. Something to consider is creating a base runtime with your main figures and main content and installing content on a project by project basis into a "working" runtime which can be deleted with each project at hand. This worked for me when I was using Poser for commercial work and kept close tabs on the resources used in each project for legal reasons. I would then use an extractor to archive my .pz3 with the referenced content. If however you are doing this all for fun using/deleting runtimes will give you terrible grief if you want to be able to open old .pz3 and be certain of finding all the referenced content.

Honestly, I have used Poser with huge runtimes even before switching to a library replacement and not had the start up problems you describe. I suspect the problem is your software install being slightly corrupted and not because of the big runtime.

BTW Dimension3D has a free library alternative loader script that opens up a standard Windows window for you to load the content from... you should try it... their are about half a dozen Library alternatives available, most free, and all superior to the Poser library pallet in my opinion.... the Poser treatment of the loading from the library is deeply flawed... I find the Dimension3D tool loads content much faster and with no failure rate at all. I found the free alternatives slower aside from ockham's loader which had no thumbnailing but was fast and reliable and the new free script from Dimension3D which is fast but doesn't have the benefit of working partnered with Windows Explorer or 2xExplorer as does his commercial script.

I have no advise for you if you are using a Mac :(

Darkworld ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2008 at 4:41 PM

i can't use MACs they don't run a lot of the stuff i use.

WOW Dimension3D and alternate library loaders?  this is new stuff to me but sounds very intriguing.  I suspect the startup issues I have now are because I have been simply copying a giant runtime folder over since Poser 4... and that was a looooong time ago.

With no fresh install in many years over so many versions I assume I've got a cumulative effect of fragmented files or whatever.

Dimension3D's library stuff is available here at rosity?  or should i just google library loaders poser etc?

thanks!  (and BTW the load poser at least twice to show me my library business has been going on since Poser 6, so Poser 7 and now PPro are doing it too which pretty much rules out corrupt install; i think my runtime is just too old and too big- it's pushing 70GB now).

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2008 at 7:41 PM
Site Admin

One peace of advice...once you get verything oganized...make a back up copy of your new runtimes that way, even though you may have all your downloads already backed up, you don't have to go through organizing again

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

jjroland ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2008 at 7:55 PM

Acadia has an entire walkthrough writted up about external runtimes.  I'm sure shell pop in here soon enough and enlighten you like she has the rest of us

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

Faery_Light ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2008 at 9:00 PM

Calling Acadia, calling Acadia...lol. Yeah I need to straighten my runtime out oo, it's chaos!

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2008 at 4:02 AM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=62059

> Quote - Dimension3D's library stuff is available here at rosity?

I recommend it highly. I have everything in one (external) runtime, while Poser defaults to its original installed runtime only. I never have start-up troubles, and I can load content from anywhere on my computer - including from the project directory while I'm developing something, although I do have to find geometries manually in that case because I don't link in the individual project folders.

Senosoft's P3dO Explorer plus the included PoserPython plug-in will also do the same job, including the free version.

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 29 August 2008 at 3:04 PM

www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php

Here is everything I know about getting organized!  LOL

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Faery_Light ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2008 at 7:47 PM

Attached Link: explorer2 lite

After reading momodot's reply above, I searched and found the download page for 2explorer. But they have a newer version and I tried it as well. I much prefer it over the older one as it has a preview pane too. I'm posting the link if anyone wants it. No more Windows Explorer...yay!!! Thanks momodot for the recommend.

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.