Wed, Oct 23, 3:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 4:45 pm)

Subject: How to capture my girlfriends face into a 3D image?

Shaaz786 ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 12:40 AM · edited Wed, 23 October 2024 at 3:28 AM

Is there a way to capture a face from a picture into a 3D?
What is the best software to do this with?
I remember in Poser 5 the face capture didn't always work well!
Is there a new 3D package that enables you to capture a 3D face of a model?

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 2:18 AM

Attached Link: faceshop

yes there is

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 2:36 AM

FaceShop Pro (3.7) indeed.  Just be sure to get good orthogonal photos for best results.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

ashley9803 ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 4:13 AM

Can anyone provide links to successful FaceShop renders?
You'd think that if this program did what it claimed, there would be lots of people making FaceShopped renders.
A search of the Renderosity gallery with the term FaceShop gives zero results.
What's going on?

GKDantas ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 9:08 AM

Good question, I saw the images in the slaes page but never saw someone render using the Faceshop...

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 10:52 AM

Before I buy it again I would need to see renders. There are a few folks who staunchly defend this program, but I yet to see any good results done with it. You would think they would have some somewhere.

momodot ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 11:09 AM

There is usually a free trail evaluation download of FaceShop available. Sorry I can't give a link but check the author homepage... Daz used to have a downloadable trial version linked in the fine print on the promo page. People are split... some people love the programs others are frustrated... I think that it is easy for some people but others not. I use it as a tool... I fine toon the results in Photoshop for the texture and in Poser for the morph.... I mix different attempts at the morph and use a little Morph Brush to smooth things and I blend the texture on to an existing store bought head texture.

bandolin ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 1:54 PM

Attached Link: Facegen

I don't know how good FaceShop is but there is another more expensive solution but garners fantastic results.

Exports to any programs and maintains morph targets and generates texture templates.

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 2:12 PM

I'd say it like this.  In order of results, from worse to best:

• Poser Face Room
  • FaceShop
  • FaceGen
  • More sophisticated, laser-topography based solutions (like those used in recreating actors in movies)

As I always say, 'you gets whats you pays for'.  You want great solutions, you must pay lots of money.

My quiff with FaceShop Pro is that, like ImageModeler by RealViz, it should allow the incorporation of a variety of angles instead of only two orthogonal angles (although orthogonality isn't a requirement, I've heard that the best results stem from this approach).  Even ImageModeler requires hefty amounts of work to obtain anything but simple shapes with good texture extraction.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

bantha ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 3:58 PM

Attached Link: David Laserscanner

If you happen to have a web cam and a line laser at home, and your girlfriend may know about it, you may try a laser scan. The software you would need to capture her face is free. You could use the Silo trial to create a fitting morph. Surface snapping is your friend ! 

More work that face shop, but more potential as well.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

bandolin ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 4:05 PM

I have a laser level. Will that work?

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

patorak ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 5:59 PM

Is there a way to capture a face from a picture into a 3D?
What is the best software to do this with?
I remember in Poser 5 the face capture didn't always work well!
Is there a new 3D package that enables you to capture a 3D face of a model?

This guy did it...http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=121&t=532817&page=1&pp=15 
well it was an exgirlfriend. 

Here's the software he used.  After Effects, BodyPaint, Lightwave 3D, Photoshop, ZBrush.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 6:47 PM

I think this was one of the best CG-pictures made in the past year, this guy got an awfull lot of comment because he didn't make something beautifull and "artistic" but something that looked like a cheap polaroid picture. In fact he was acused of showing a cheap polaroid picture untill he showed the wireframed models of his scene. Of course this was a genial and succesfull attempt to achieve computer realism from a complete different angle.
Reminded me a litlle on "cloverfield", the first half hour I was only irritated because of the "cheap" video I was looking at, untill all those alien creatures began to appear.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

patorak ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 6:53 PM

Yeah!  I thought it was cool too.  He sure put a kink in Stahlberg's tail.  LOL. 

bopperthijs ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2008 at 7:15 PM

Yep, Stahlberg almost invented it, must have been a shock to him.

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 5:25 PM

file_413825.jpg

> Quote - I'd say it like this.  In order of results, from worse to best: > > > > My quiff with FaceShop Pro is that, like ImageModeler by RealViz, it should allow the incorporation of a variety of angles instead of only two orthogonal angles (although orthogonality isn't a requirement, I've heard that the best results stem from this approach).  Even ImageModeler requires hefty amounts of work to obtain anything but simple shapes with good texture extraction.

Not so. I get the best results with FaceShop with a SINGLE photo from 3/4 angle.
SINGLE photo, head in 3/4.
Laslo

bopperthijs ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 5:47 PM

*Not so. I get the best results with FaceShop with a SINGLE photo from 3/4 angle.
SINGLE photo, head in 3/4.
Laslo

*Does it also looks so good from the other side?

Just curious.

Bopper.

Boni ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 6:16 PM

Okay, this is Faceshop.  I hope you like the images.  Summer Glau as River Tam from the tv series "Firefly" and movie "Serenity.  and a couple of Lucy Lawless as Xena: Warrior Princess and Renee O'conner as Gabrielle.

Again, this was using Faceshop Pro.  I think it did a decent job.
Boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

bopperthijs ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 6:45 PM

Okay, I'm sorry but I'm not impressed : I can't give an opinion about Summer Glau, because I have never seen that TV-serie, but I have seen some episodes of Xena and I'm sorry to say but Lucy Lawless doesn't convince me: her nose is too small and she has a stronger jaw and bigger cheeks, Renee o'Connor has a better resemblance. But both need  fuller faces.

Perhaps I have to give faceshop another try but I'm getting the best results myself just by dialing the morphs of V4.

thank you for your examples .

Bopper.

Boni ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 7:54 PM

Thanks for the tip ... I'm actually going to fix that.  :)  The program isn't perfect.  It doesn't do it all for you.  You have to be willing to tweek it a bit to get a better "likeness".  But the new version, I don't have that one is suppose to do profiles as well.  That would be a bonus.

Thanks Bopper. :)
Boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2008 at 10:09 PM

Summer Glau looks great! 

My experience with faceshop is that it's almost impossible to not dent the top of the head in strange ways.  the morph that is produced is very basic, and relies heavily on the texture it generates to provide the likeness.  Strangely, this texture always looks GREAT in faceshop preview, but when loaded into poser, looks a lot less great. 

For some reason, even if the texture loads up great in poser, and you've spent six hours blending it with a base texture, it either looks "Hyper real" or totally washed out.  Hyper real is super saturated, unreal skin tones (and remember I'm talking about blending it with something you trust, so that it appears to be about the same.)

Following the standard faceshop scheme you can't get a morph you can use in poser.  You have to do it "manually" with an imported obj.  This means a LOT of guesswork and frustration.

The program is a good idea, and I believe it could be made workable, but it's a few versions shy of true functionality.

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 1:27 PM · edited Sat, 13 September 2008 at 1:28 PM

file_413871.jpg

> Quote - *Not so. I get the best results with FaceShop with a SINGLE photo from 3/4 angle. > SINGLE photo, head in 3/4. > Laslo > > > > *Does it also looks so good from the other side? > > Just curious. > > Bopper.

Yes it does. (Hint: Use "Mirror" feature).
Laslo

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 1:30 PM · edited Sat, 13 September 2008 at 1:30 PM

Attached Link: http://www.abalonellc.com/press-user-quotes.html

file_413872.jpg

> Quote - Before I buy it again I would need to see renders. There are a few folks who staunchly defend this program, but I yet to see any good results done with it. You would think they would have some somewhere.

http://www.abalonellc.com/press-user-quotes.html

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 4:25 PM

Right, but you are depending heavily upon symmetry which, for good resemblence, isn't always going to be there.  Some faces are more likely to work than others I would think.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 4:37 PM

and thats why the faces look wrong.  almost no ones face is symmetrical....

Marque ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 6:12 PM

What is up with obama's forehead nose and chin?

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 6:13 PM

the Bolian ridge running down the center of his face? where the 2 halves are joined?

Marque ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 8:55 PM

So that's what happens when you mirror? Glad I got a refund on this program.

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 9:20 PM

wouldn't the morphing brush fix any bumpy bits like that?
love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 14 September 2008 at 1:27 AM

Looks like the texture is screwed up as well.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sun, 14 September 2008 at 1:36 AM · edited Sun, 14 September 2008 at 1:37 AM

In order to get a true 3D and textural representation of a complete head or face, one really needs to consider more than one or two representative angles (at this level of consideration).  The best situation would be about five representations: frontal, left side, right side, top, and bottom.  Then the coordination of these representations should be very (or ideally) accurate.  It would be possible to achieve nearly satisfactory results with disjoint (non-orthogonal) angles if the software could handle more disparate image angle representations.  But even ImageModeler really doesn't present that level of accuracy without well-thoughtout, careful preparation and execution.

Suffice it to say, that level of 2D-3D topological conversion isn't at the level for most of us to afford.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 14 September 2008 at 1:40 AM

BTW you did a great job on Summer, that one looks a lot like her.

AbaloneLLC ( ) posted Sun, 14 September 2008 at 11:06 AM

Attached Link: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-48396527764316/3.7standalone.wmv

file_413930.jpg

> Quote - In order to get a true 3D and textural representation of a complete head or face, one really needs to consider more than one or two representative angles (at this level of consideration).  The best situation would be about five representations: frontal, left side, right side, top, and bottom.  Then the coordination of these representations should be very (or ideally) accurate.  It would be possible to achieve nearly satisfactory results with disjoint (non-orthogonal) angles if the software could handle more disparate image angle representations.  But even ImageModeler really doesn't present that level of accuracy without well-thoughtout, careful preparation and execution. > > Suffice it to say, that level of 2D-3D topological conversion isn't at the level for most of us to afford.

You make a very astute observation. The more angles you do, the better the approximation to the actual face. There's a video (http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-48396527764316/3.7standalone.wmv) that shows two photos front and side). This gets you to about 95% there. However, with FaceShop you can use as many photos as you like to refine the mesh (the texture will only use the first photo). With continued refining my guess would be that you can get close 98% similarity..
Laslo

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.