Tue, Oct 22, 6:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Wouldn't these big eye kids, from the 60s, be great Poser figures?

gagnonrich ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2008 at 12:15 PM · edited Tue, 15 October 2024 at 8:30 AM

file_415074.jpg

I've been looking for these paintings, done in the 60s, for a while without much luck.  I finally tried to be less specific in my searches and looked at 60s poster sites and finally found some of the old posters that I'd seen in the 60s of big eyed teens.  I have yet to find any information about the artist, Lee.  None of my google searches have been very productive.

I remembered seeing posters of these kids all over the place when I grew up in the 60s. I've been very surprised how hard it is to find them anywhere. It's as if they're a forgotten, embarassing memory from that period that 60s retrospectives have mostly tried to forget. I'm amazed that I couldn't find anything else about Lee. I would have thought that there was a fan out there with a website collecting some of his old paintings as a fan. It's been fairly hard to find any images at all on the net that he's done. 

Maybe I'll try to do a morph for Aiko one of these days to emulate them.  I don't think I ever saw anything other than a full face (no profiles) of these kids.

My visual indexes of Poser content are at http://www.sharecg.com/pf/rgagnon

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2008 at 2:45 PM

Already done by Daz for A4. That is what some of the morphs were inspired from.

I would show you an example but I just finished putting my new quad together and don't have them installed yet.

metabog ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2008 at 3:29 PM

Yes they presaged the big-eyed look so common in the manga world today.
I have a complete book about these and other kitschy paintings from the '50's and '60's. I'll find the book this evening and post the title and author here if you are interested.

gagnonrich ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2008 at 4:17 PM

Attached Link: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Eye-Art-Resurrected-Transformed/dp/1858944368

Is the book the linked one here?

I'm not sure that these influenced manga because Speed Racer and Kimba already had that look when they were made in the mid-60s. Anime characters have a pointed chin whereas these mod figures have very spherical heads that would make Charlie Brown jealous. The Lee paintings look somewhat like a baby head on a teen body with a little extra exaggeration.

I flipped through all the Aiko 4 products and didn't quite find a match, though it's possible that Anasi, MuireTeens, or Miranda might have been influenced by these figures. I didn't see anything with the rounded heads in the paintings, though some did have oversized eyes. Otherwise, the A4 characters are more realistically proportioned even though they're somewhat cartoonish with larger eyes.

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2008 at 4:53 PM

Some people trace the origins to Betty Boop.  She was unquestionably
popular in Japan.  When the Fleischer studio realized this, they made
a salute to their Eastern fans......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHTUHT4kAOY&feature=related

Unfortunately Betty's appeal for harmony and peace didn't have much
influence on the Japanese government.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2008 at 5:05 PM

Hey I use to have those posters in my room.....weird blast from the past.  Sharen

jeffg3 ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2008 at 6:38 PM · edited Tue, 07 October 2008 at 6:49 PM

bedazzled.blogs.com/bedazzled/2008/06/lee-big-eyed-ki.html

[

](http://www.geocities.com/vladtsepis1313/bigeye.html) Big-Eye Anatomy 101 www.geocities.com/vladtsepis1313/bigeye.html

jeffg3 ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2008 at 7:27 PM

Flickr Big Eye Art Pool
www.flickr.com/groups/bigeyeart/pool/

MadameX ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2008 at 7:30 PM

OH! I remember these! I even drew one in my art class, but, sadly it's long gone.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2008 at 7:48 PM

You have mistaken my comment on morphs to looking at pre dialed characters at Daz. The A4 morphs have those eyes and others but you need the A4 morphs and not someone elses French Canadiian Interpretatation of what ever it is suppose to be.

gagnonrich ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2008 at 9:07 PM

I'll have to finally load A4 up and see what kind of morphs are there.  I just haven't had time to play with that figure.

I read one blog where the red-eyed doll, at the Anatomy101 site, was being sold left and right by mothers because they're kids were too creeped out by the doll.

Considering how many sites have hundreds of images of psychedelic posters, I'm surprised that these big eye kids are fairly hard to find. I can't even find a site that says whether or not Lee is a man or a woman.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2008 at 9:29 PM

Looks like Sadie over at DAZ.

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

ashley9803 ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2008 at 11:29 PM · edited Tue, 07 October 2008 at 11:30 PM

file_415126.jpg

These reminder me of some of my sister's Debbie books from the 1970's. This is from ***Debbie learns to cook*** 1974.

metabog ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2008 at 6:13 AM · edited Wed, 08 October 2008 at 6:14 AM

Gagnonrich and all,
I found the book, it's titled "Just Above the Mantelpiece: Mass Market Materpieces" and author is Wayne Hemingway.

The artist who did those first big eyed kids you showed was Lee Eden and he did a series of mod big eyed kids in the '60's.

The book is available at amazon for $13.85

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2008 at 9:20 AM

Attached Link: Margaret Keane

file_415140.jpg

gagnonrich ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2008 at 9:44 AM

It was helpful knowing that the artist's full name was "Lee Eden".  Even knowing that, Google still couldn't find the artist in the first 20 hits and I gave up past that. It's funny how an artist, who created memorable images in the 60s, is nearly unknown today.

Sadie probably would be a better starting point for morphing into these kids since that figure already has a spherical head.

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2008 at 10:16 AM · edited Wed, 08 October 2008 at 10:20 AM

Attached Link: http://www.keane-eyes.com/

I knew Mrs. Keane when I was a little girl and she did a painting of me. Wish I still had it but my mom and stepdad apparently didn't think it was that important. I love her work but haven't thought about her in years. Thanks for a pleasant memory!

gagnonrich ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2008 at 4:17 PM

That's cool.  Kate Hudson will be starring in a movie about her.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2008 at 5:29 PM

I remember something like this from the 70s, but the eyes were even *bigger...*sorta like the look Puss N Boots gets in Shrek (hey, go easy, I have grandchildren...;)

But then the 70s were about excess, anyways...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

SeanMartin ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2008 at 8:01 PM

file_415158.JPG

And the tradition seems to live on. Bought this at a flea market last year; since then, I've found three others by the same black-velvet artist (using the same unique framing). The others arent big-eye, but then I dont think you want to see a big-eye Elvis or a big-eye Jesus. :)

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

SeanMartin ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2008 at 8:03 PM

file_415159.JPG

And a rather unnerving closeup.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2008 at 8:13 PM

ACK! Big Eyed Kitteh Skeers Meh!

metabog ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2008 at 11:20 AM

file_415210.jpg

Heehee Sean! Here's another unnerving closeup - of my Chatty Cathy doll! LOL!

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2008 at 3:01 PM

Hey, I had one of those too.....Sharen

She is a little freaky looking now.

JoePublic ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2008 at 8:50 PM

file_415247.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

:laugh:

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 10 October 2008 at 5:32 AM

Hate Chatty Cathy since I saw that Night Gallery or whatever it was...my name is Talking Tina and I'm going to kill you now!
lol....freaked me out.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Fri, 10 October 2008 at 6:03 AM

Quote - Hate Chatty Cathy since I saw that Night Gallery or whatever it was...my name is Talking Tina and I'm going to kill you now!
lol....freaked me out.

You're right, the one with the actor who played Kojak before he went bald? Yes, that freaked me out too... I remember it was Night Gallery... After that I never watched it again til recently when they did a late night rerun of old Night Gallery episode....

LOL :lol:

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

metabog ( ) posted Fri, 10 October 2008 at 9:53 AM

Ooooo! I never saw that Night Gallery episode. I do remember a Twilight Zone where the guy hides in a big Department Store until it's closed for the night and then all the mannequins freak him out. Like their eyes are following him and they are talking to him.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 10 October 2008 at 3:25 PM

I think there was an episode about a doll in the TV series Friday the 13th.

Put some goth clothes on tha chatty and you would have Bride of Chucky. LOL.

gagnonrich ( ) posted Wed, 15 October 2008 at 1:28 PM

For a second, I though Joe Public's figure was one of the paintings. That's so cool!  Is it Sadie?

JoePublic ( ) posted Wed, 15 October 2008 at 2:02 PM

"Is it Sadie?"

No, it's Preteen-Vicky with some morphbrush work.
:biggrin:

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.