Sun, Oct 6, 6:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Oranizing poser files... making a decision...

tom271 ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 8:15 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 4:49 AM

I'm somewhat experienced with Poser in that I know a little bit about a few things in Poser.  I have been able to do some Posing, rigging and render.   One big problem has always been the folder / file system...   Lots of us share this problem... 

My Poser file system has redundancies and just not organize...  Since Daz studio looks for runtime folders all over the hard drive it is also clogged with Poser file crisscross issues..  I would like to clean all that up..

One way is to delete both Poser 7 and Daz... and start all over again.. I have pretty much all the content and zip files in storage..  Content files are small compared to some of you guys...

So I got some gifts coupons $25  to spend..  
The Other way is to buy  a) Poser File Organizer or b) Poser file Organizer 3..  Will these programs find, fix and organize my files automatically or is there a need to have lots of experience on the user side..?  I don't want to wind up with a useless program...

Thanks ahead..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cryptojoe ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 8:41 PM

Tom, email me.

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

Reisormocap ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 9:20 PM

Nuke it all from orbit...it's the only way to be sure. :)

Set up external runtimes as needed in order to organize your content. Invest in 3D Content Installer--it will make the reinstall a lot easier.

I put up a tutorial on external runtimes on Posermocap.com at http://www.posermocap.com/news/?p=33. Once you have your runtimes organized into external runtimes, your work with Poser becomes a lot easier.

RJ

Posermocap - Motion Capture animations for Poser and Daz3D.

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 9:37 PM

Once you have your runtimes organized into external runtimes, your work with Poser becomes a lot easier. 

That sure is true!!!!

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

tom271 ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 12:32 AM

Tom, email me.
E-mail on the way....!
====================

OKay..  I started to read the tutorial at the link provided....  

questions

Now, what happens if I want to unzip a load of content..?  You know..  The zip file has an hierarchy  already and wants to unload at the top of the Poser folder..   What do I do then?   Will this program redirects the content...

I guess I need to keep reading...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reisormocap ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 1:48 AM · edited Fri, 31 October 2008 at 1:51 AM

If you're asking about 3D Content Installer, it does batch processing. You place all of your zip files into its "Install" directory, point the program at your preferred external Runtime, and then sit back and watch as the program unzips each archive and installs the content for you automatically.

If the content in the Zip file does not have a recognizable "Runtime" hierarchy (as can be the case in some free content where the assets are simply zipped up without the proper Runtime folder structure), then 3DCI will not install from that Zip file. It will move the zip file into a "Failed" folder where you can manually unzip it and install the content on your own.

If you want to unzip a lot of zip files by hand--and I'd really, really recommend spending the $10 on the 3DCI program--then the best bet is to set up a runtime hierarchy in an extra folder and extract the content there. Then, drag this Runtime folder over to your preferred external Runtime.

Incidentally, I'm not associated with the creator of 3DCI--I just realy like his program. I tried doing manual installs to external runtimes, and then running utilities on them to try to resolve paths between cr2 files and obj and texture files and eventually, I just did a complete wipe and re-install. It took a day and a half for me to reinstall 32 GB of content into brand-new Runtimes with 3DCI. I can't say enough good things about it.

If you are planning on installing V4 and/or M4, these figures need to be activated as part of their installation process. I'd install them manually rather than running them through 3DCI, but these are the only two Poser objects that seem to need this "activation" --everything else goes through 3DCI.

3DCI is available at Renderosity here.

I've posted a review of 3DCI here.

RJ

tom271 ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 2:17 AM

I don't recall activating V4 or M4...  the installer just place them there...

When I install some Poser win installer it gives me the choice of two folder systems... How do I tell it to put it in this new hierarchical content folder.. and under what name...  If it is a figure like Maximus do I place it under figures_people..?    and his clothings will fallow ..... how?

Dizzi ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 7:26 AM

I always fail to see, how those programs that automatically install content are of any help. You end up with the same useless folder hierarchy already contained in the content you install... It's much easier to change the paths when there's only one item installed compared to 100s with folders that don't match accross the different library categories... So where's the advantage off batch installation?

Reisormocap ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 11:24 AM

It's a time saving. Often, it can be a dramatic time saving to use a batch installer.

In my experience, if you're dumping everything into a single runtime, then the batch installers won't help you at all. They'll only get you to the same unwieldy mess of a runtime--only faster. It's when you start using them in combination with multiple external runtimes that the batch installers like 3DCI become indispensible.

When you're talking hundreds (and in my case, thousands) of files--all properly installed in runtimes with the correct paths right from the start, then you have a choice between sitting there and spending over a week installing everything by hand, or a day and a half letting the batch installer chew away at your installation archives and make sure everything is put in the right place. Plus with that time saving, you no longer worry about reorganizing your runtimes should you need to re-categorize items. Simply create new runtime folders based on the new categories you want, reinstall the content into the new categories, and then remove the old Runtime. You're done in a couple of hours.

RJ

3anson ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 12:58 PM

yes Content Installer rocks!! i usually load up a few for one figure or if props, a single type ie weapons . set it going and go and watch tv or dvd. only thing it doesn't like  .rar files much

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.